• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well they're two different characters and not really similar at all. Diana is a goddess/princess, and Gal Gadot's approach was kind of noble, elegant, a softer approach, a warrior-princess, really. And romance is a big part of her character with Steve Trevor. Carol Danvers, on the other had, is a tomboy, military, not caught up in romance, a little more hard edged and confrontational as played by Brie Larson. I think men would find Gal Gadot's approach more attractive, and women would find Brie Larson's approach more attractive. Both equally effective, imo.

Never said they were similar. All technical analyses aside, generally speaking, I like gal gadot’s on-screen (and off-screen for that matter) presence better...

Is me finding her more attractive a contributor to that? Probably...but there are intangibles as well...

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I forget how Marvel categorizes powers--they give them Greek letter designations, don't they, like Alpha and Omega?--but the way Binary originally was in the comic and the way Brie was against Ronan's fleet in her movie, she seems about as powerful as Dark Phoenix to me, and that makes her more powerful than all of the MCU character to date aside from Thanos with the Gauntlet.  I'd love to see a comparison as to how she even differs from Phoenix.  Both Phoenix and Binary were created by Chris Claremont in the early 80s, so I'm not sure it's a coincidence they're so similar.

Yes, that's a good point. Phoenix and Binary were also co-created by Dave Cockrum, so I don't think their similarity is a coincidence at all. Ever notice how Phoenix and the 'new" Ms Marvel outfit from 1978 both sport a waist scarf? Both outfits designed by Dave Cockrum. And in the MCU, it seems like Captain Marvel's Binary powers are  Phoenix-level without Jean Grey's telepathy or telekinesis.

6 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I forget how Marvel categorizes powers--they give them Greek letter designations, don't they, like Alpha and Omega?--but the way Binary originally was in the comic and the way Brie was against Ronan's fleet in her movie, she seems about as powerful as Dark Phoenix to me, and that makes her more powerful than all of the MCU character to date aside from Thanos with the Gauntlet.  I'd love to see a comparison as to how she even differs from Phoenix.  Both Phoenix and Binary were created by Chris Claremont in the early 80s, so I'm not sure it's a coincidence they're so similar.

No matter the star, that character lore and powers is what is going to potentially drive the front-runner. But you hope that person is also a massive performer.

I'd love to see that comparison as well. I still need to go back and read those Binary appearances.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But you hope that person is also a massive performer.

She's OK, kinda like Chris Hemsworth in that both try to be funny but they're both too serious for it to come off naturally.  RDJ is still the headliner until he gets tired of it.

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Counterpoint: Comic book popularity =/= movie popularity.

Judging by the domestic response to the last three Spider-Man movies, he's not as popular with today's movie-going public as either Black Panther or Captain Marvel. Make sense - they both bring in expanded audience demographics. Also:

1) In six attempts so far, no Spider-Man film's yet broken $1 billion worldwide. Captain America, Iron Man, Black Panther and Captain Marvel all have. Sure, much of that is due to recency and inflation, but The Amazing Spider-Man and Homecoming both had the easy opportunity to break that barrier and didn't come close.

2) Both Black Panther and Captain Marvel made more money domestically than any Spider-Man film of the last decade, even after adjusting for inflation

3) It's increasingly looking like Captain Marvel will gross more domestically by the end of its run than _any_ of the Spider-Man films.

Disney will put their resources where the money -- and audience demand -- is.

Right now, it's not on Spider-Man -- and arguably *hasn't* been since Raimi's trilogy.

It’s natural for comic book fans to get confused in all of this. Printed comics were always a boys club, and so everything always revolved around what THEY wanted. 

In the movies, Marvel realizes that comic book fans are ALWAYS going to show up regardless of what they do (i.e Bosco), so why NOT go after the demographic that takes more to pull into the theater - the under represented demographic. It just makes sense. 

Meanwhile comic book shops still can’t get women to come in and these movies are breaking a BILLION dollars at the box office. 

It’s easy to see who’s the genius in this (Feige) and who’s sitting in their moms basement pounding the floor and crying (comic nerds). 

29 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

It’s natural for comic book fans to get confused in all of this. Printed comics were always a boys club, and so everything always revolved around what THEY wanted. 

In the movies, Marvel realizes that comic book fans are ALWAYS going to show up regardless of what they do (i.e Bosco), so why NOT go after the demographic that takes more to pull into the theater - the under represented demographic. It just makes sense. 

Meanwhile comic book shops still can’t get women to come in and these movies are breaking a BILLION dollars at the box office. 

It’s easy to see who’s the genius in this (Feige) and who’s sitting in their moms basement pounding the floor and crying (comic nerds). 

Although I will show up, at least I don't fall into the 'pounding the floor and crying' category. :banana:

I'm either going to like what they produce, disappointed, or somewhere in between. And at least with the team leadership, I can recognize how the power of the character plays more into their taking the lead rather than their sex, race or other influences.

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

She's OK, kinda like Chris Hemsworth in that both try to be funny but they're both too serious for it to come off naturally.  RDJ is still the headliner until he gets tired of it.

Although they do pretty decent in interviews when in small groups, I have caught them together where they seem awkward at times. Like they will drop a joke, and then look at the interviewer for approval.

I like like both actors, no matter what.

In April, the company unveiled Disney+ to incredible fanfare and sent its stock soaring. Then it unleashed a new "Star Wars" trailer that lit up social media and showed that fans aren't tired of the franchise just yet. And early ticket sales for "Avengers: Endgame" almost broke the internetas long queues formed on Fandango and AMC's site crashed when fans flocked to it.

All of this happened before the month was even halfway over.

"Disney has been building to this perfect storm since its renaissance began in the mid-2000s," Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at Boxoffice.com, told CNN Business. "The studio's influence over cinema and media in general can't be overstated at this point."

On top of all that, Fandango reported on Thursday that "several thousand" showtimes for "Endgame" have already sold out — and the film's North America opening isn't until April 25.

Analysts say "Endgame" is on track to become the highest-grossing opening in box office history, beating the record set last year by its predecessor "Infinity War."

"We have every reason to expect a new record at this point," Robbins said.

Robbins added that north of $260 million is "on the table" but that "all projections should be kept in perspective because this is completely new territory."

Wondering now if the future of the MCU is a deemphasis on the Avengers (maybe after Endgame, there's nothing left to "avenge"), and more a focus on smaller pocket teams like Alpha Flight with Captain Marvel or Defenders with Doctor Strange etc., the Fantastic Four(?) and then later later down the road a big cosmic event like the Builders or Celestials leading to the next Avengers movie, those heroes coming together because they have to, rather than being a formal organization. Maybe Endgame is the final tale of the Avengers? 

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I forget how Marvel categorizes powers--they give them Greek letter designations, don't they, like Alpha and Omega?

I almost quit collecting comics because of this.  They somehow made Iceman an Omega level mutantrantrant.  Gambit was somehow able to achieve beyond Omega levels.  It seems like the only mutant who isn't Omega or beyond is Jubilee (for now:facepalm:).

Release the movie already!!!  I don't know how much longer I can avoid spoilers.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Although I will show up, at least I don't fall into the 'pounding the floor and crying' category. :banana:

I'm either going to like what they produce, disappointed, or somewhere in between. And at least with the team leadership, I can recognize how the power of the character plays more into their taking the lead rather than their sex, race or other influences.

Yes, I did not mean to make it seem as if I was putting you in THAT category - just that you are without a doubt a 100% supporter for these comic related movies! (Which, personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with).

Edited by Chuck Gower

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yes, I did not mean to make it seem as if I was putting you in THAT category - just that you are without a doubt a 100% supporter for these comic related movies!

Heck, I knew that. I didn't read it any other way. :smile:

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Wondering now if the future of the MCU is a deemphasis on the Avengers (maybe after Endgame, there's nothing left to "avenge"), and more a focus on smaller pocket teams like Alpha Flight with Captain Marvel or Defenders with Doctor Strange etc., the Fantastic Four(?) and then later later down the road a big cosmic event like the Builders or Celestials leading to the next Avengers movie, those heroes coming together because they have to, rather than being a formal organization. Maybe Endgame is the final tale of the Avengers? 

That would be very nice!

19 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Counterpoint: Comic book popularity =/= movie popularity.

Judging by the domestic response to the last three Spider-Man movies, he's not as popular with today's movie-going public as either Black Panther or Captain Marvel. Make sense - they both bring in expanded audience demographics. Also:

1) In six attempts so far, no Spider-Man film's yet broken $1 billion worldwide. Captain America, Iron Man, Black Panther and Captain Marvel all have. Sure, much of that is due to recency and inflation, but The Amazing Spider-Man and Homecoming both had the easy opportunity to break that barrier and didn't come close.

2) Both Black Panther and Captain Marvel made more money domestically than any Spider-Man film of the last decade, even after adjusting for inflation

3) It's increasingly looking like Captain Marvel will gross more domestically by the end of its run than _any_ of the Spider-Man films.

Disney will put their resources where the money -- and audience demand -- is.

Right now, it's not on Spider-Man -- and arguably *hasn't* been since Raimi's trilogy.

Homecoming wasn’t billed as a “must-see” prior to the next Avengers movie.

How quickly some forget.

Let’s not confuse box office numbers for character popularity - because it’s a severely flawed metric.

In no way, shape, or form is Captain Marvel more popular than Spider-Man.

19 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Fans aren't in charge here. Marvel Studios is, and Disney is in charge of Marvel. I also seem to remember Kevin Feige himself saying Carol Danvers will the face of the MCU going forward. Hmm...

So Captain America was away for like 60+ years and his first film wasn't great either,  and he was basically appointed team leader in the first Avengers film. On promotional material for the 2012 film, it goes back and forth between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark being front and center in group images. Spider-Man always has been and probably always will be the trademark logo for Marvel Comics, like Mickey Mouse is for Disney, but Queen Brie will be the new face of a Marvel Studios that wants to expand its fan base with younger people and girls.

Lastly, going back to Carol being away for 25 years as reason for her not taking the lead in the Avengers, that's actually probably going to be the reason for her taking the lead. After Endgame, the MCU reportedly will almost be split into two factions, more street level heroes and more powerful heroes who take the battle to the cosmos. The Avengers will become more of a cosmic force probably in anticipation of another intergalactic threat. Carol Danvers will logistically be more readied to take the lead in facing that threat.

Going forward, Captain Marvel will be the Captain of Marvel.

You have already made it abundantly clear that you have no idea what you’re talking about. No need to expand on the vapid.

Feige and MS wanted Cap to lead the MCU. Look at how that turned out (you must’ve already forgotten this tidbit being mentioned by ME).

Captain Marvel will not be the next face of the franchise. An unpopular character with a mediocre movie (in Phase 3, nonetheless) and a divisive actress isn’t going to cut it.

They’ll cut their losses on the idea and do what’s right for both the MCU and it’s fans. And that will be putting Spider-Man front and center. A great character with a plethora of good stories to draw from (unlike Carol Danvers).