• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

So it officially beat Iron Man 3 @ 1.22 billion opening weekend also!🤯Would be amazing if it could hit the 3 billion mark. These films usually bring in 2.4+ x opening weekend, which would bring it to 2.9+ billion. Really depends where things land in China though, as they had a 5 day opening & box office tends to drop quickly there. Going again Tuesday, this time to see it in iMax.:cloud9:

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Also from that THR article, the Domestic total and the superhero films that have excelled in this category.

Amazing how comic book movies over the years have dominated the Domestic total list.

I'd forgotten how well Black Panther had done.  Wakanda !!

49 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

So it officially beat Iron Man 3 @ 1.22 billion opening weekend also!🤯Would be amazing if it could hit the 3 billion mark. These films usually bring in 2.4+ x opening weekend, which would bring it to 2.9+ billion. Really depends where things land in China though, as they had a 5 day opening & box office tends to drop quickly there. Going again Tuesday, this time to see it in iMax.:cloud9:

Do the multipliers really mean anything?  For example, Endgame opened up in pretty much all major markets.  That's one of the reasons why its opening weekend is so inflated when compared to Infinity War (which did not open in China until later).  Because it won't have China to prop up international numbers in the ensuing weeks, shouldn't we expect a steeper international drop off week-over-week?

3 hours limits the amount of showings...IM3 was 50 minutes shorter. I think 2 hrs 17 minutes is the "limit" and more than that equals one less showing per day.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

3 hours limits the amount of showings...IM3 was 50 minutes shorter. I think 2 hrs 17 minutes is the "limit" and more than that equals one less showing per day.

they added screens to more than cover the added runtime.  

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Do the multipliers really mean anything?  For example, Endgame opened up in pretty much all major markets.  That's one of the reasons why its opening weekend is so inflated when compared to Infinity War (which did not open in China until later).  Because it won't have China to prop up international numbers in the ensuing weeks, shouldn't we expect a steeper international drop off week-over-week?

When the multipliers are calculated, it usually includes China. Infinity War opened @ 874.7 if you count China, Russia, Serbia & Mentenegro. That leaves it with a 2.34 x opening weekend.

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

I really don't think the amount of screenings per day matters that much, because each one will ultimately end up with a larger audience.

1 minute ago, Straw-Man said:

they added screens to more than cover the added runtime.  

3 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

When the multipliers are calculated, it usually includes China. Infinity War opened @ 874.7 if you count China, Russia, Serbia & Mentenegro. That leaves it with a 2.34 x opening weekend.

That makes sense.  I would really like to see this film top Avatar.  Even then, it won't even be close to the inflation adjusted king, Gone With the Wind.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

That makes sense.  I would really like to see this film top Avatar.  Even then, it won't even be close to the inflation adjusted king, Gone With the Wind.

I'm not sure all factors are really considered when calculating inflation imho. How long could Gone with the Wind really last in theaters today? For example, how long did they keep it in theaters at the time & was there any descent competition? Today's audience would probably wait to watch it on TV or streaming service rather than pump those inflated adjustments into the theater for any of those films. Even Titanic which is among the more recent films at the top of the adjusted chart, would not make 1.2+ billion domestically in today's market. That's my 2c anyways.

34 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I'm not sure all factors are really considered when calculating inflation imho. How long could Gone with the Wind really last in theaters today? For example, how long did they keep it in theaters at the time & was there any descent competition? Today's audience would probably wait to watch it on TV or streaming service rather than pump those inflated adjustments into the theater for any of those films. Even Titanic which is among the more recent films at the top of the adjusted chart, would not make 1.2+ billion domestically in today's market. That's my 2c anyways.

True, if I recall correctly, Titanic was in theaters for over a year (I remember looking in the movies section of the paper and they would specify time in theaters).  Gone With the Wind must have been in theaters the same or longer.  Movies these days seems to last 4 weeks and that's it.

44 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

True, if I recall correctly, Titanic was in theaters for over a year (I remember looking in the movies section of the paper and they would specify time in theaters).  Gone With the Wind must have been in theaters the same or longer.  Movies these days seems to last 4 weeks and that's it.

That’s my point. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if Gone with the Wind was in theaters for a few years. If tickets are twice the price they were when Titanic came out in 1997, in today’s market it would be lucky to get half the ticket sales it did back then. I don’t think we have as big a demand for that genre as we did 20 years ago. In fact, it would probably make much less in today’s market. That’s why I think those inflation adjustments are laughable. They’re only adjusting for the cost of ticket prices when there’s much more that accounts for ticket sales. 

Edited by chezmtghut

Holy!

Shattering virtually every box office record in history, Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Endgamedelivered the highest-grossing 3-D opening of all-time worldwide, with approximately 45% of the film’s estimated $1.2 billion opening coming from the 3-D format. An estimated $540 million in ticket sales was generated by the 3-D format.

“Congratulations to Marvel Studios and Disney for their brilliant execution of this 22 film series over the last 11 years. It has been a remarkable achievement in story-telling, production, VFX, marketing and distribution,” said Travis Reid, President, Worldwide Cinema and Chief Operating Officer for RealD.

:whatthe:

Edited by Bosco685

From a box office perspective I have to report this was something we'd NEVER seen before (and we're old LOL)... we'd bought our tickets for a 9 AM show about 3 weeks ago, and when we arrived at the theater, on their screens they had the listings for all, I don't know, 25-30 showings for that day listed... and ALL of them were listed as SOLD OUT.  I've honestly never seen that before.  It was crazy.

The sold out shows is the only thing that stopped us from getting back in line and immediately seeing it again.  LOL.  Oh and we were out of tissues.