• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Argumentative fashion? You are reading into things.

Your own posts are what leads to the assumption you are implying a competition, or pointing out old versus new. So that's an odd statement on your part.

You are free to assume you know what I mean better than I do, but I can't say it more clearly than this has nothing to do with any competition. This is about how the #'s don't add up on inflation imo. You don't have to agree with me but I don't see how that makes it a competition in your mind, especially when I keep saying it's not. I consider this inflation theory like algebra where only one # is being altered in the equation, when both sides are clearly effected. If x = 2a/x & you change X = 10 to X = 100, then a = 50 changes to a = 5000, in relation to X. It's that simple. You can't relate ticket costs of one market to another without factoring in ticket sales in relation to those markets as well. Again, the only realistic solution to inflation is seeing how a modern remake of a film does in today's market.

9 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I forget who mentioned it here in this thread, but I feel like earlier someone theorized that it was actually in Disney's best interest that Avatar remain the #1 grossing film in order to increase/maintain interest in the franchise for when the sequels come out.

It was Scott Mendelson. I personally think the only thing that could hurt Avatar is if the squeals do poorly. Since they have 4 films planned, I was hoping for 1 or 2 of them to be prequels.

24 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

You are free to assume you know what I mean better than I do, but I can't say it more clearly than this has nothing to do with any competition. This is about how the #'s don't add up on inflation imo. You don't have to agree with me but I don't see how that makes it a competition in your mind, especially when I keep saying it's not. I consider this inflation theory like algebra where only one # is being altered in the equation, when both sides are clearly effected. If x = 2a/x & you change X = 10 to X = 100, then a = 50 changes to a = 5000, in relation to X. It's that simple. You can't relate ticket costs of one market to another without factoring in ticket sales in relation to those markets as well. Again, the only realistic solution to inflation is seeing how a modern remake of a film does in today's market.

You are free to assume so. It ignores the audience attendance response at a point in time.

:flamed:

With respect to the Box Office, I did my part. I went with my family a second time. I admit that I enjoyed it even more the second time as I picked up nuances that I missed the first time.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You are free to assume so. It ignores the audience attendance response at a point in time.

It simply converts audience attendance just like it does ticket costs. After all, you are relating ticket costs to another point in time, so it's only logical to relate ticket sales to that same timeline. It doesn't change ticket sales from the initial equation/timeline, just the modern one.

$1(198M tickets) in 1965 with 50 - 100 movies in theaters that year = $9(22M tickets) in 2019 with 800 - 900 movies in theaters this year. In this example the same movie makes $198M at both points in time, factoring in timeline changes.

BOM shows 876 films came out in 2018 & only 34 made 100M+, of which 20 sit between 100M - 200M. Those 20 films sold 10 - 20 million tickets each. You would need 100 - 200 million tickets sold today to make the majority of the adjusted #'s on that chart, which is something even the biggest blockbusters don't reach today. The market is simply too saturated for any film to make those ticket sales today.

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

It simply converts audience attendance just like it does ticket costs. After all, you are relating ticket costs to another point in time, so it's only logical to relate ticket sales to that same timeline. It doesn't change ticket sales from the initial equation/timeline, just the modern one.

$1(198M tickets) in 1965 with 50 - 100 movies in theaters that year = $9(22M tickets) in 2019 with 800 - 900 movies in theaters this year. In this example the same movie makes $198M at both points in time, factoring in timeline changes.

BOM shows 876 films came out in 2018 & only 34 made 100M+, of which 20 sit between 100M - 200M. Those 20 films sold 10 - 20 million tickets each. You would need 100 - 200 million tickets sold today to make the majority of the adjusted #'s on that chart, which is something even the biggest blockbusters don't reach today. The market is simply too saturated for any film to make those ticket sales today.

This is good point.

Related: I'm pretty sure that the last episode of M*A*S*H will forever hold the record for most-watched scripted episode of television in the United States.

First aired on Feb. 28, 1983, nearly 106 million Americans tuned in. That was 45% of the entire U.S. population at the time.

But that was also back in the day when there were only 7-8 non-cable TV networks.

Today, with 150+ channels - plus Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. media fragmentation has done its thing.

For comparison's sake, only ~17 million Americans watched Game of Thrones' Season 8 premiere.

It is looking likely Avengers End Game will finish #2 domestically behind The Force Awakens. I am surprised at how quickly it has fallen off domestically as I was sure it would be #1. There is really no competition for another week, so maybe it can make up lost ground this week.

It is too early to call if it will get #1 internationally. It has a good shot at it though.

If it finishes at #2 all time on both charts, that is still a great showing. Hard to see anything coming even close to this in the superhero genre for some time.

2 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

So on this we agree with the market being saturated. It is!

But to say a film that was a huge success from the past should then be converted to modern reactions (not just box office conversion) to the same film as part of comparing to a modern film is not taking into consideration WHY those films were huge successes for their times. There was a level of uniqueness for that time, leading to the massive response.

Look at 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'. It was considered so cutting-edge for its time, the film was recommended for Best Musical Score - which it lost in that year but was presented with an honorary Oscar the next year. And it was so unique, the Academy made a special Oscar this presentation, which was one large Oscar and seven little Oscars. What film nowadays has been that impactful? So to expect that now to go up against Into The Spider-Verse, The Incredibles, The LEGO Movie or other huge hits would be unrealistic. But for its time, there is a reason why it is #10 on the BOM Adjusted Domestic Box Office List.

1 hour ago, rjrjr said:

It is looking likely Avengers End Game will finish #2 domestically behind The Force Awakens. I am surprised at how quickly it has fallen off domestically as I was sure it would be #1. There is really no competition for another week, so maybe it can make up lost ground this week.

It is too early to call if it will get #1 internationally. It has a good shot at it though.

If it finishes at #2 all time on both charts, that is still a great showing. Hard to see anything coming even close to this in the superhero genre for some time.

It is an impressive jump for Endgame at this point. But man, $302.5M is a lot to catch up on. Even right now Japan took a dip with an anime movie taking the #1 spot.

Avengers_Avatar190512a.thumb.PNG.c78e8002d8baee6ffe53ec0badbac504.PNG

We shall see.

34 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So on this we agree with the market being saturated. It is!

But to say a film that was a huge success from the past should then be converted to modern reactions (not just box office conversion) to the same film as part of comparing to a modern film is not taking into consideration WHY those films were huge successes for their times. There was a level of uniqueness for that time, leading to the massive response.

Look at 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'. It was considered so cutting-edge for its time, the film was recommended for Best Musical Score - which it lost in that year but was presented with an honorary Oscar the next year. And it was so unique, the Academy made a special Oscar this presentation, which was one large Oscar and seven little Oscars. What film nowadays has been that impactful? So to expect that now to go up against Into The Spider-Verse, The Incredibles, The LEGO Movie or other huge hits would be unrealistic. But for its time, there is a reason why it is #10 on the BOM Adjusted Domestic Box Office List.

You're missing the point. It really doesn't matter that they were cutting edge at the time. There's no telling how a remake even with the best current technology would do in today's market. It's about supply & demand. Today's economy has a much greater supply with a much larger & diverse population, making demand for any film much lower than it once was. There's no guarantee Avatar 2 will make what it's predecessor did with today's tech either. Films that do poorly at the BO receive Academy Awards all the time, so that really doesn't factor into the equation. I'm not saying the films wouldn't be well received or make money, I'm simply saying they would never produce the same ticket sales. There are many examples in this regard & it takes nothing away from what the film did, it just relates to how a film would currently do.

Maleficent is a modern take on Sleeping Beauty which did very well & according to BOM domestic #'s brought in:

Maleficent:

241.41M/$8.17 (2014) = 29.54M tickets sold

Sleeping Beauty:

36.48M/$0.51 (1959) = 71.53M tickets sold

15.12M/$3.71 (1986) = 4.07M tickets sold

1 minute ago, chezmtghut said:

You're missing the point. It really doesn't matter that they were cutting edge at the time. There's no telling how a remake even with the best current technology would do in today's market. It's about supply & demand. Today's economy has a much greater supply with a much larger & diverse population, making demand for any film much lower than it once was. There's no guarantee Avatar 2 will make what it's predecessor did with today's tech either. Films that do poorly at the BO receive Academy Awards all the time, so that really doesn't factor into the equation. I'm not saying the films wouldn't be well received or make money, I'm simply saying they would never produce the same ticket sales. There are many examples in this regard & it takes nothing away from what the film did, it just relates to how a film would currently do.

Maleficent is a modern take on Sleeping Beauty which did very well & according to BOM domestic #'s brought in:

Maleficent:

241.41M/$8.17 (2014) = 29.54M tickets sold

Sleeping Beauty:

36.48M/$0.51 (1959) = 71.53M tickets sold

15.12M/$3.71 (1986) = 4.07M tickets sold

I recognize you are totally convinced this analysis makes sense. I disagree with the thinking, as it takes a successful film out of that point-in-time there was a reason it was so massive.

Some will agree one way or the other. Meanwhile, those older films are still recognized for being financially successful at that point, and adjusted for inflation the relevance comes through even more how massively successful. It is what it is.

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I recognize you are totally convinced this analysis makes sense. I disagree with the thinking, as it takes a successful film out of that point-in-time there was a reason it was so massive.

Some will agree one way or the other. Meanwhile, those older films are still recognized for being financially successful at that point, and adjusted for inflation the relevance comes through even more how massively successful. It is what it is.

I honestly doubt many would agree those adjusted prices could actually be a reality today. It is a nice fantasy & way of propping up old classics though.

Just now, chezmtghut said:

I honestly doubt many would agree those adjusted prices could actually be a reality today. It is a nice fantasy & way of propping up old classics though.

I'm sure you're convinced of that. It's clear.

:insane:

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Mary Poppins and Doctor Zhivago brought two wonderful ladies to the attention of general audiences. But I have to say, Julie Christie always stood out more for me. The character of Lara made her such a sympathetic individual.

julie_christie_0.jpg.b2036c5a77219aaa7de369c1816b99bd.jpg

Mom & Dad went to see Doctor Zhivago on a date night, without us kids.  So I missed out on Julie Christie until much later.
In fact, I just re-watched Doctor Zhivago a couple months ago.  What a great film!  :applause:

4 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I'm 100% convinced those classics would not sell as many tickets today as they did back then. It would be interesting to see a poll on the topic though.

That would be a fantastic poll.

"Would 'Snow White' be successful nowadays?" - YES NO

I'm 100% convinced they were successful at that point in time. Nowadays, not as much because of cinema advancements. That doesn't make them any less relevant.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That would be a fantastic poll.

"Would 'Snow White' be successful nowadays?" - YES NO

I'm 100% convinced they were successful at that point in time. Nowadays, not as much because of cinema advancements. That doesn't make them any less relevant.

The poll would have to specifically ask:

Do you believe "classic films name" or a new cutting edge remake would sell as many tickets today as the original did back in the year it was released (the # of tickets sold during it's run would have to be presented as well)?

If we calculate BOM adjusted price on GwtW @ 1.82 billion it would calculate out to 202.5 million tickets sold at today's $9 per ticket. I would think this is roughly how they came up with that #, but I'm not sure exactly what year the calculation is from. So the poll should read:

Do you believe the original GwtW or a cutting edge remake would sell 200M+ tickets domestically in 2019, like the classic did in it's original run?

Yes

No

That's the only way to determine if people actually believe those inflated prices could be a reality today, since those prices are based on ticket sales. You keep diverging from this original point.

1 minute ago, chezmtghut said:

The poll would have to specifically ask:

Do you believe "classic films name" or a new cutting edge remake would sell as many tickets today as the original did back in the year it was released (the # of tickets sold during it's run would have to be presented as well)?

If we calculate BOM adjusted price on GwtW @ 1.82 billion it would calculate out to 202.5 million tickets sold at today's $9 per ticket. I would think this is roughly how they came up with that #, but I'm not sure exactly what year the calculation is from. So the poll should read:

Do you believe the original GwtW or a cutting edge remake would sell 200M+ tickets domestically in 2019, like the classic did in it's original run?

Yes

No

That's the only way to determine if people actually believe those inflated prices could be a reality today, since those prices are based on ticket sales. You keep diverging from this original point.

'That's the only way' is your analysis approach. But does it apply realistic criteria? Here's where the approach would be flawed.

1) Audience expectation changes: Stories of old versus now have gone through drastic maturity shifts. Something like West Side Story where it recognized the American Melting Pot leading to youth divisions would be treated as pointing out the obvious nowadays.

2) Film messaging relevance changes: When considering historic films such as The Graduate which was relevant for its time wouldn't be as impactful nowadays as you don't have the same culture crisis taking place. Nowadays, it is more about the political shifts taking place, environmentalism or even societal norms changing. So to bring it forward to 2019 and program 'Look - it failed' would be far from shocking.

3) Film technology changes: Bringing forward Fantasia, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty or another older animated film (more modern productions like Lion King or Finding Nemo would still bring the fire) in their current format would have an ancient cinema feel to them. Where as fresh stories told using current animated technology they would have a fighting chance. So there would be disclaimers concerning modernizing the content some. The Disney live reimaginations have worked wonderfully in most cases because it bringing old stories back, which parents know in advance from their childhood experiences and wanting to get their kids in on the experience. Different situation with those, though the nostalgia comes into play with the adult impact.

Sorry, but there are even more flaws in assuming 'make old movies fight it out with new movies' going beyond recognizing their successes of old and just comparing the breath of their financial mass in modern currency.