• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

hm I wonder if the International weekend of 46.8M includes Thursday, because BOM has it at $1,793,400,000 as of Wednesday. That would mean it was more like 40M or less from Fri - Sun, down another 60% from nearly 100M last weekend. Down to nearly 70M this past week from around 200M last week. So probably another 25M - 30M Internationally by next Sunday at this pace. Should be another 30M domestic with Victoria Day tomorrow & Memorial day on the 27th, so roughly 2.67B worldwide by then. It's going to be very close to Avatar but won't pass it. It would need very small drops over the next few weeks worldwide, which seems unlikely at this point.

What is cool about BOM is it will list the last date it collected results from a given region. And its international results are usually days behind other tracking sites with certain regions.

Endgame_international01.PNG.d58322c3b59352cdc2b83a478e939e2c.PNG

Check on the dates on the larger international box office contributors. Days behind, even though the overall International Box Office was updated 5/15/19.

14 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Wow China is a monster.

Now people can see why China is considered a big weak spot for Deadpool2, Into the Spider-Verse and Shazam. Going low in that country can hurt final results.

DC_MCU_BO190519b.PNG.306bbda0501f38a0071b37e00361cfe5.PNG

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Is that some kind of slur? (shrug)

:kidaround:

Yes or no or maybe or remains to be decided or undecidable, depending upon the reader's hate du jour. 

On 5/19/2019 at 7:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

With stars like Robert Downey Jr. taking in roughly $200 million for Infinity War and Endgame (thanks to a healthy percentage of the grosses)

I'd wager that RDJ is the biggest Marvel fan, ever.  :whee:

I'd think he has individually profited the most from Marvel over any other person - actor, director, comic book writer or artist.
$200 million from the last 2 Avengers movies.   Add to that his profits from the 3 Iron Man movies, Cap 3, and the first 2 Avengers films and we have to be looking at a non-trivial percentage of a billion dollars.  (Half a billion?  More?)

3 hours ago, paperheart said:

$1.5MM upward adjustment Int'l, $500k US - $171MM to Avatar #everygreenbackmatters

I was going to say, you jumped ahead with that $168M post.

DC_MCU_BO190520a.thumb.PNG.95df9bf66368dfb3cdbee873ccf0b021.PNG

16 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I'd wager that RDJ is the biggest Marvel fan, ever.  :whee:

I'd think he has individually profited the most from Marvel over any other person - actor, director, comic book writer or artist.
$200 million from the last 2 Avengers movies.   Add to that his profits from the 3 Iron Man movies, Cap 3, and the first 2 Avengers films and we have to be looking at a non-trivial percentage of a billion dollars.  (Half a billion?  More?)

He didn't make a lot for Iron Man ($500k) or Iron Man 2 (don't know the figure off the top of my head).

Marvel Studios was lucrative for RDJ, though. His performances were well worth it.

After everything that happened pre-MCU, what a :censored: career that guy made for himself. From zero to hero, literally. He turned himself into a role model of a human being and actor.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

He didn't make a lot for Iron Man ($500k) or Iron Man 2 (don't know the figure off the top of my head).

Marvel Studios was lucrative for RDJ, though. His performances were well worth it.

After everything that happened pre-MCU, what a :censored: career that guy made for himself. From zero to hero, literally. He turned himself into a role model of a human being and actor.

Lots of people didn't want RDJ to play Iron Man. Jon Favreau insisted on casting him and it was a huge success.

Due to his risk he was only paid $500,000.

After the success of Iron Man RDJ was paid a lot more in the second Iron Man, as he was no longer a risk but now a guaranteed success.

In the second Iron Man he was paid $10 Million.

I'd say Iron Man II was quite the leap. And part of why Terrence Howard was upset with RDJ, in that Disney/MCU focused its budget on the main actor after the success of the first film.

18 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Lots of people didn't want RDJ to play Iron Man. Jon Favreau insisted on casting him and it was a huge success.

Due to his risk he was only paid $500,000.

After the success of Iron Man RDJ was paid a lot more in the second Iron Man, as he was no longer a risk but now a guaranteed success.

In the second Iron Man he was paid $10 Million.

I'd say Iron Man II was quite the leap. And part of why Terrence Howard was upset with RDJ, in that Disney/MCU focused its budget on the main actor after the success of the first film.

I thought he didn't make 8-figures until The Avengers. Must've been mislead.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I thought he didn't make 8-figures until The Avengers. Must've been mislead.

It's why he had a big falling-out with Terrence Howard. Going into Iron Man 1, TH was the more stable and trusted casting. Once that first film exploded, Disney/MCU diverted sequel funds from TH to RDJ.

The real reason Terrence Howard was fired from Iron Man 2

Howard makes the big bucks for Iron Man

With names like Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges, and Paul Bettany, the cast of Iron Man is incredibly impressive. But before any of these actors joined the MCU — even before Robert Downey Jr. came aboard — Marvel had its sights set on Terrence Howard.

Back in the mid-2000s, Howard was a pretty big deal. Just three years before Iron Man hit theaters, he gave an Oscar-nominated performance as a pimp-turned-hip hop artist in Hustle & Flow. And a year before that, Howard starred in the Best Picture winner Crash. So when Marvel decided he was right for the part of Rhodey, they offered him a hefty paycheck, reportedly between $3.5 and $4.5 million. According to Wall Street Journal reporter Ben Fritz (via Business Insider), Downey only earned $2.5 million, making Howard both the first actor signed for the film and the highest-paid star in the entire movie.

At first, it seemed like this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship between Howard and Marvel, especially since they promised him an additional $5 million if Iron Man 2 got greenlit. But even though a sequel was coming down the pipes, Howard would never get to suit up as the War Machine.

He totally blames Robert Downey Jr.

At the end of the day, Terrence Howard doesn't ultimately blame Marvel Studios for letting him go. Sure, he might have some resentment toward producer Kevin Feige and director Jon Favreau, but the man he blames most is Tony Stark himself, Robert Downey Jr. On more than one occasion, Howard has claimed that he's the guy responsible for helping RDJ land the part of Iron Man. According to Howard, Marvel wasn't interested in Downey because of his past struggles with drug addiction, but Howard wanted his buddy to get a second chance. Howard claims that he vouched for Downey and took a $1 million pay cut so Marvel would give Downey the gig.

However, when Marvel moved to get a new War Machine, Howard says that Downey let him down. Speaking with Rolling Stone in 2015, Howard claimed that he called his friend multiple times a day, looking for help and leaving messages like, "Look, man, I need the help that I gave you." But according to Howard, Downey never called him back. "And guess who got the million I was supposed to get?" Howard asked. "He got the whole franchise, so I've actually given him $100 million, which ends up being a $100 million loss for me from me trying to look after somebody."

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

It's why he had a big falling-out with Terrence Howard. Going into Iron Man 1, TH was the more stable and trusted casting. Once that first film exploded, Disney/MCU diverted sequel funds from TH to RDJ.

The real reason Terrence Howard was fired from Iron Man 2

I knew about the Howard stuff, but I thought RDJ only made $1-5 million for Iron Man 2, and that they lowered Terrence's salary to meet the title character's. This stupid topic pops up on my FB feed almost every day. "MCU actors who hated their co-stars" and whatever BS.

7 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

TH overplayed his hand and threw away a cash cow, and now blames others instead of owning his failed power play (I recall the basic situation being him demanding more $$ or else, and Disney said see ya later). Hate people like that...

Cheadle has been an excellent replacement, though. The fans won.

29 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

TH overplayed his hand and threw away a cash cow, and now blames others instead of owning his failed power play (I recall the basic situation being him demanding more $$ or else, and Disney said see ya later). Hate people like that...

Supposedly Disney committed to a salary if a sequel occurred, and then when it realized RDJ had nailed the main role wanted its funds pooled to him. That's why TH's salary went from $4.5M in Iron Man (2008) to now $1M in Iron Man 2.

I sure wouldn't want LESS money in a sequel if the first film was a huge hit.