AVENGERS 4: INFINITY GAUNTLET (5/3/19)
6 6

2,055 posts in this topic

6,112 posts
Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 4:37 PM, chezmtghut said:

Not sure if he went for 4 back to back viewing today but that guy is on 106 in his latest tweet & Endgame is an estimated 57.5M behind Avatar now. Should still be about 30M short unless they reissue it around Christmas like they did Avatar in 2010 with a special edition, bringing in an extra 33.2M.

Marvel should also re-release Infinity War and play both back-to-back in select theaters across the country. Wouldn't make tens of millions, but would sell a few more tickets for those who want to see both in theaters like that.

Edited by Hawkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,974 posts
10 hours ago, rjpb said:

The only people I've ever met who want to watch the same movie 100 times in a month are two years old. 

Even my toddlers cut off re-watching "Paw Patrol: Mighty Pups" after about two or three dozen viewings.  :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,357 posts
1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Even my toddlers cut off re-watching "Paw Patrol: Mighty Pups" after about two or three dozen viewings.  :eek:

Rotten isnt it, when they move on and you have to watch them on your own...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81,163 posts
1 hour ago, Hawkman said:

Marvel should also re-release Infinity War and play both back-to-back and select theaters across the country. Wouldn't make tens of millions, but would sell a few more tickets for those who want to see both in theaters like that.

This actual would make sense as a promotion to celebrate a 22-film franchise.

Include some fun intermission where cosplayers can be recognized for their dedication to MCU characters, short videos about the future releases, etc.

I remember as a kid going to see the Planet of the Apes films celebration event in NYC. They did something like this (without the future-events angle). Amazing how many people turned up for an all-day event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81,163 posts

Avengers (2012) demonstrating stronger follow-on days in its run.

DC_MCU_BO190609b.thumb.PNG.d0fe1e193a47d71cc633bfa48a483ffd.PNG

As the capstone event for a massive 22-film franchise compared to a non-franchise buildup monster of a movie, impressive getting this close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,594 posts
17 hours ago, Hawkman said:

Marvel should also re-release Infinity War and play both back-to-back and select theaters across the country. Wouldn't make tens of millions, but would sell a few more tickets for those who want to see both in theaters like that.

I had the exact same thought. A double feature during the Christmas Holidays for those who prefer to wait a few weeks for the Star Wars crowd to die down before seeing Rise of Skywalker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,913 posts
14 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I had the exact same thought. A double feature during the Christmas Holidays for those who prefer to wait a few weeks for the Star Wars crowd to die down before seeing Rise of Skywalker.

Special one weekend only back to back showing of Infinity War and Endgame for the price of one film, and offering some sort of special "exclusive" message or trailer at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81,163 posts
16 minutes ago, drotto said:

Special one weekend only back to back showing of Infinity War and Endgame for the price of one film, and offering some sort of special "exclusive" message or trailer at the end.

hm

I read that somewhere before. But man if I can put my finger on it.

:baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,594 posts
4 hours ago, drotto said:

Special one weekend only back to back showing of Infinity War and Endgame for the price of one film, and offering some sort of special "exclusive" message or trailer at the end.

I think 4 weeks would be more practical since they put Avatar out for an extra 12 weeks (can't believe it was out for 46 weeks total). Maybe premier the Black Widow trailer after the credits as an added incentive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,379 posts

It would be a shame if Avengers beats Avatar.  Avengers was a good movie but Avatar was an event when it came out and people were lining up to see it in 3-D.  Heck - I think that movie may have brought in the 3-D movie craze since it was so revolutionary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,433 posts
1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

It would be a shame if Avengers beats Avatar.  Avengers was a good movie but Avatar was an event when it came out and people were lining up to see it in 3-D.  Heck - I think that movie may have brought in the 3-D movie craze since it was so revolutionary.

Endgame was also an event. It's the 'end of an era', the culmination of a decade of storytelling, and a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Avatar was a visual spectacle. Endgame is something much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,379 posts
29 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Endgame was also an event. It's the 'end of an era', the culmination of a decade of storytelling, and a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Avatar was a visual spectacle. Endgame is something much more.

I do agree Endgame was very significant but more in terms of it being the end of an era but that didn't really have much to do with the movie itself.  Some people loved Endgame but for me I didn't leave feeling in complete awe of how they did that and feeling happy and content inside.  Avatar in the theaters in 3-D was worth seeing 3 times with various people - I've seen Endgame once and it was enough.  Each his own but I'm happy Avatar is keeping the throne for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,433 posts
1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I do agree Endgame was very significant but more in terms of it being the end of an era but that didn't really have much to do with the movie itself.  Some people loved Endgame but for me I didn't leave feeling in complete awe of how they did that and feeling happy and content inside.  Avatar in the theaters in 3-D was worth seeing 3 times with various people - I've seen Endgame once and it was enough.  Each his own but I'm happy Avatar is keeping the throne for now.

I suppose we must agree to disagree. Storytelling, for me, is much more important than visual spectacle. IMO Avatar is good-for-nothing story-wise. Visuals are supposed to support/increase storytelling aspects.

Kinda how The Last Jedi, visually, is probably great. It sucks at everything else, though.

I saw Endgame 4 times, and it still isn't enough. The first 90 mins or so are slow to get through after the first few watches, but the buildup to the last half of the movie is such a huge payoff.

Avatar 2 is allegedly creating a new type of filming technology to, again, create a visual spectacle. If the story sucks again, the new tech means nothing to me. To each their own, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,488 posts

I liked Endgame, and saw it twice.

But for me it's barely in the MCU's Top 10.

And, as Forbes' Scott Mendelson notes, it's "One of Marvel's Most Front-Loaded Movies"

He estimates at this burn rate that Endgame will have made 73% of its domestic total in just its first 10 days.

Not quite BvS territory, but close...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,433 posts
7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I liked Endgame, and saw it twice.

But for me it's barely in the MCU's Top 10.

And, as Forbes' Scott Mendelson notes, it's "One of Marvel's Most Front-Loaded Movies"

He estimates at this burn rate that Endgame will have made 73% of its domestic total in just its first 10 days.

Not quite BvS territory, but close...

It is a very long movie, and I know that most moviegoers and even MCU fans aren't as dedicated or hyped for this kind of event like I am.

If it was more action-packed early on it probably would have had healthier longevity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81,163 posts
3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I liked Endgame, and saw it twice.

But for me it's barely in the MCU's Top 10.

And, as Forbes' Scott Mendelson notes, it's "One of Marvel's Most Front-Loaded Movies"

He estimates at this burn rate that Endgame will have made 73% of its domestic total in just its first 10 days.

Not quite BvS territory, but close...

You do realize many of the MCU movies have been International Box Office-heavy, right?

DC_MCU_BO190612a.thumb.PNG.96e8c6bff8ab01563d50f03f7df5ccb2.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,488 posts
14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You do realize many of the MCU movies have been International Box Office-heavy, right?

DC_MCU_BO190612a.thumb.PNG.96e8c6bff8ab01563d50f03f7df5ccb2.PNG

That's not relevant to my point -- or Scott Mendelson's.

Which is that for domestic box office, Avengers Endgame "currently has shorter legs than any MCU movie ever outside of Captain America: Civil War ($408 million from a $179 million launch in 2016)."

And that among the very short list of notable blockbusters with even shorter domestic legs are BvS and Twilight: New Moon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81,163 posts
44 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's not relevant to my point -- or Scott Mendelson's.

Which is that for domestic box office, Avengers Endgame "currently has shorter legs than any MCU movie ever outside of Captain America: Civil War ($408 million from a $179 million launch in 2016)."

And that among the very short list of notable blockbusters with even shorter domestic legs are BvS and Twilight: New Moon.

We've all been chatting for many days now how the domestic box office has been riding below the other Avengers movies. So not trying to offend you, but the topic has been on-going. :foryou:

It is relevant how the international box office helps these films become even bigger box office successes, no matter the domestic run dropping off. Thor: The Dark World at only 32% is an indicator how that went over, resulting in a lower worldwide sales total for a post-Avengers (2012) MCU film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6