• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better OA Con...

8 posts in this topic

Awesome Con... I think the name says it all. My experience is it's one of those shows that celebrates everything wrong with SDCC, and none of what's good about it. It's smallish, it's mostly about cosplay and getting signed by TV shows folks, and hocking the same kind of merch you can find just about anywhere. It's like a Wizard show, or anything of that ilk. It's an industry.

Heroes is a show by folks that have a deep abiding love of comics and comic artists, for artists about artists. It is a comics-centric show with deep deep roots.
It's like having the choice between a killer fresh grilled burger, or one from McDonalds, IMO.

And hard to say, as my hometown is DC. And so is Rico Renzi's. He has lived in Charlotte and worked as Heroes creative director for the last several years, and is a colorist himself on some very popular books. And before that, a huge fan of Heroes con, when he still lived up here. I can't think of a more creator-friendly show.

Edited by ESeffinga

Heroes and it's not even close IMO.

Heroes has been my favorite convention, hands down. The variety of artists and how available they are is unmatched. Really wish I could make the trip this year, but I've recently moved even further away. Awesome Con is practically in my backyard and I doubt I'll be going. It seems more like a pop-culture con when Heroes is ALL about the creators and fans. It's so common to strike up a conversation with creators and other fans hanging around. 

Don't know Awesome Con, but it's hard to top Heroes, for the sheer size of the guest list, as far as an Artists Alley goes.

If you're looking for vintage art, though, I don't believe any of the major dealers set up at Heroes. Bu they probably won't be at Awesome Con, either.

On 4/25/2017 at 6:47 AM, Matches_Malone said:

But Felix and his guys are going to Charlotte...that Trumps it all as for DC.  

Come say hi!