• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your under-appreciated art
1 1

105 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, jeBailey said:

I wouldn't try to say that Dave Cockrum is under rated but Soul Searchers artwork is dirt cheap.

John B.

SoulSearchesCockrum.jpg

There is always a bunch of this stuff on ebay at very affordable rates.  While I appreciate the art - I have never read this series.  This looks like a nice example.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

There is always a bunch of this stuff on ebay at very affordable rates.  While I appreciate the art - I have never read this series.  This looks like a nice example.

I picked this page up because the woman reminded me of Jean Gray.

3 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

I am one of those that loves thor and since Frenz was the artist on spidey when I started - I gotta say -this is a very nice page.

Thank you! I had an option to choose a different Frenz Thor page in that deal. The other was possibly more valuable (half splash), but in it Thor was tiny, and I just love The Recorder!

No one cares about my cool and awesome Garfield strip :cry: :facepalm:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1363400

It was more expensive than many of my other pieces, and it's an old strip, drawn just 2 years after Davis published his first Garfield strip in 1978.

Then again Garfield isn't a superhero hm

Edited by Rune

On 5/12/2017 at 0:05 PM, Hal Turner said:

One fine day I'll get a scanner and show off my collection. As you can see from the pic below, I'm lousy with a camera.

There are maybe seventeen fans of Keith Giffen's Trencher, but I'm one of them. The series died before a half-dozen issues were published but I miss it. As far as I'm concerned, it's underappreciated art.

Trencher (2) small (482x700).jpg

I can appreciate that! Love Giffen's work!

Enric Romero's work on AXA is another one who I feel has been over looked. Many in the states don't know of AXA, he would be more known for Modesty Blaise. AXA was a combination of Red Sonja and Logan's run, Enric did some fantastic pencil and inks on the series. He is still drawing today his art is still fantastic. Here are two strip when Mark Ten AXA's companion and protector. 

axa552.jpg

axa553.jpg

On 2017-05-14 at 11:08 PM, Brian Peck said:

Enric Romero's work on AXA is another one who I feel has been over looked. Many in the states don't know of AXA, he would be more known for Modesty Blaise.

Great exemples of Romero artwork, Brian. I Sweden we are lucky to have had most of the Axa comic published over the years. It was so popular that my friend Peter "Pidde" Andersson got to pen the -script for one episode, "Freakshow", which ran in  Magnum Comics #2/1994...

But as for my own under-appreciated art I choose this (which I suspect you might like, too):

http://www.unigas.se/ftp/Robin_annual_6_p2-3.jpg

A two-page spread by Eduardo Barreto from Robin Annual #6

I wonder if it was Barreto himself or writer Chuck Dixon who decided to make Stan Lynde acting U.S. Marshal...?

Edited by Caltex98

On 2017-05-14 at 0:34 PM, Nexus said:

Fun thread!

My most underappreciated page:

BADGER #65 p.15 Comic Art

Badger with Elvis and Bruce Lee! Three legends on one page...and I'm the only one who cares.

Well, me and Chris Sims:

http://comicsalliance.com/bizarro-back-issues-badger-bruce-lee-elvis-1990/

add me to the list of folks who care.  Getting a fun badger page is on my list of things to keep a look out for. And who doesn't love Bruce Lee?

I started at the bottom of my CAF and picked the lowest viewed piece that I'm really attached to. It turned out to be the last three pages of Huck, a Millarverse title. Huck is Millar's response to Superman's changes over the years especially in film. It's a terrific tale with an interesting twist. I hope to see more Huck in the future.

In this scene, Huck's privacy has been compromised by a newcomer to town and the press has discovered him. I love these pages - the excitement of the reporters to get the scoop contrasts with the dog slowly waking Huck. His expression in the last page as he looks onto his lawn is priceless. Read the book if you haven't. Click the image to embiggen and learn more.

The pages aren't totally ignored, but with 300 views and two comments, it's hardly a barn burner in the popularity department. The book must have sold fairly well since they reprinted the first issue as "Giant-Sized Artist’s Proof Edition: Huck #1." Yes, I bought that, too. :) 

Huck 1 Page 21-23 by Rafael Albuquerque, Comic Art

I have a couple of other pieces that almost made the cut - the first published image from Busiek/Dewey of the Autumnlands: Tooth and Nail and the first published image from Lemire/Lenox's Plutona. There's an interesting video by Ben Dewey (Autumnlands) with Emi Lenox (Plutona) in the Plutona page description. In that you can see this piece. Kinda cool, I think.

Edited by alxjhnsn
typed the wrong word

On 14/05/2017 at 5:34 PM, Nexus said:

Fun thread!

My most underappreciated page:

BADGER #65 p.15 Comic Art

Badger with Elvis and Bruce Lee! Three legends on one page...and I'm the only one who cares.

Well, me and Chris Sims:

http://comicsalliance.com/bizarro-back-issues-badger-bruce-lee-elvis-1990/

A beautiful page by Neil Hansen (whatever happened to him?) from one of my favourite issues of the series, but that's not the Badger, it's Lanier Lutefisk.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge fan of Chris Bachalo's. His work on Death and X-Men and Generation X is just amazing.

But I think my favorite piece of his from my small collection is this super-creepy splash page from Shade the Changing Man.

My wife won't let me hang it for some reason.

bachalo-shade-42p24.jpg

I don't have a lot of original pages to begin with, but I guess if I had to pick one, it'd be this Scott Hanna piece.  Bats, Catwoman (in her gaudiest outfit ever) and Joker. 

151174.jpg

Picked it up real cheap.  I think I put a $50 tracker bid on it and was surprised I actually won it the next day.

I am a big fan of The Adventurers as one of the best 1980s indies, and of Kent Burles' art in the series.   Just a wonderful combination of art & story

DSCN6027.JPG

Edited by Bronty

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, rikemice said:

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge fan of Chris Bachalo's. His work on Death and X-Men and Generation X is just amazing.

But I think my favorite piece of his from my small collection is this super-creepy splash page from Shade the Changing Man.

My wife won't let me hang it for some reason.

bachalo-shade-42p24.jpg

Great page.   Bachalo does awesome work.   Will have to check this issue out.