• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your under-appreciated art
1 1

105 posts in this topic

Given that a good portion of my collection is modern Valiant art, I'd say a lot of it would qualify as under-appreciated. :)

One piece in particular that stands out to me is this wrap-around cover for Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1 by David Lafuente.

WrathofTheEternalWarriorIssue1CoverSmall

Mike

9 hours ago, MGS said:

Given that a good portion of my collection is modern Valiant art, I'd say a lot of it would qualify as under-appreciated. :)

One piece in particular that stands out to me is this wrap-around cover for Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1 by David Lafuente.

WrathofTheEternalWarriorIssue1CoverSmall

Mike

There is a lot of stunning art coming out of Valiant  these days.  Been considering reading some to see if the stories spur interest in buying the art.

2 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

There is a lot of stunning art coming out of Valiant  these days.  Been considering reading some to see if the stories spur interest in buying the art.

Yeah, I got back into reading comics right around the time of the Valiant relaunch.  I had been a Marvel guy back in the 80s, but looking at the then-current line I kinda threw my hands up at trying to figure out what was going on, so the idea of a company putting out 9 or so books a month was very appealing.  I got into OA collecting shortly thereafter, and while I definitely pick up some nostalgia stuff, it's great to be able to collect very reasonably priced art from books that I'm reading today.  Not sure what I'd suggest as a good jumping on point, but I'd definitely recommend giving them a try.

1 hour ago, Bubb Rubb said:

I've never cared much for anything Valiant puts out, but, yes, that is incredible.

Thanks.  Maybe they'll convert you someday down the road. :)

Mike

On 5/16/2017 at 2:22 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

A beautiful page by Neil Hansen (whatever happened to him?) from one of my favourite issues of the series, but that's not the Badger, it's Lanier Lutefisk.

Well, it IS Badger...just not Norbert Sykes;) Very cool to meet another BADGER die-hard!

Mike Baron actually wrote me about this page, after I had posted it on CAF many years ago. IIRC, he had lost contact with Neil Hansen as well. Hope he's doing well, wherever he may be!

On 5/22/2017 at 5:53 PM, desertdogg20061 said:

a awesome page in my collection that do get any love is my Kevin Vanhook   page 18 from caliber comics rocky picture horror show # 1.     larry ;]

comic art update june 2015 006.JPG

Oh man, I was a HUGE RHPS fan, and couldn't believe it when these books came out. Still have my original copies. How great is that art??? Killer!

Bret Blevins is my go to for the "underappreciated artist" tag. I think he's just tremendous. He draws the cutest babes, he is great at cartoony art, he's great at illustrative art, he can paint, he does it all. But there just isn't much of his art out there at all. This is my favorite piece of the very few I've been able to track down. 

gbpgMVBI_280217134949lola.JPG

On 5/24/2017 at 6:57 AM, F For Fake said:

Bret Blevins is my go to for the "underappreciated artist" tag. I think he's just tremendous. He draws the cutest babes, he is great at cartoony art, he's great at illustrative art, he can paint, he does it all. But there just isn't much of his art out there at all. This is my favorite piece of the very few I've been able to track down. 

gbpgMVBI_280217134949lola.JPG

Blevins was good, wasn't he? Did he quit the biz?

Mike Vosburg gets overlooked alot. While he did work for mainstream comics like Savage She-Hulk and GI Joe he has done his own book Lori Lovecraft and had worked for the Tales From The Crypt TV series. I love his work, he is especially good at drawing likenesses. He did a great John Steed and Emma Peel painting a while back which I was lucky enough to buy from him. Here are a few examples I own of his art.

Steed and Peel…

My Back Pages cover....

She Who Must Be Obeyed........

Emma and Steed in Red.jpg

myBlack_Pages_cvr.jpg

She Who Must Be Obeyed.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

On 5/29/2017 at 2:59 PM, Hal Turner said:

Blevins was good, wasn't he? Did he quit the biz?

I think he more or less left comics to go into animation, storyboarding, something like that. He has returned to comics a bit in recent years, doing a couple of random issues here and there, a few covers, etc. He was really active on FB for a while, and I spoke to him there a bit. His wife passed away recently and he more or less stepped away from art for a time. But if his website is to be believed, he has a project in the works, so hopefully we'll see more from him soon!

Hugely Under appreciated, I think: Alex Robinson.  In the early 2000s, he did an incredible slice of life series for Antarctic Press called Box Office Poison, and then later a sort-of spin off called Tricked.  He's not terribly prolific - I think he's only been involved in a  couple of other series since then, but I will always buy anything he produces.

I bought this cover from him around 2000 (I don't have the OA scanned, apologies).  Great piece, but unfortunately, when he packed it, he just stuck it in a manila folder and sent it.  Of course, it got a little mashed in the mail (someone set something like a brick on top of it and there is a rectangle shaped indent, luckily, over the negative space - title dress is all digital).  But I still love it.

42734-6827-48862-1-box-office-poison[1].jpg

7 minutes ago, Bill C said:

I don't think they did keep it (?)

Apparently all the published interiors and two of the covers (#428 and 429) were on the market (unless I'm reading it wrong?)

From the 1991 Sotheby's catalogue:

IMG_1683_zpsxtpa4ueu.jpg

Someone recently posted a tour of the DC Archives and the archivist pulled the alternate "alive Robin" page out of a flat file, so DC kept at least that one page...

5 hours ago, Bill C said:

Here's my underappreciated piece:

Ultra Klutz and Other Tales #1 (1984)

hFqR4QyL_0411152126391_zpszag5yoma.jpg

Dig it. Is there an Eric Sack of 80s b/w indie art out there? I wonder because there should be tons of it floating around. But there isn't, some TMNT, Cerebus and recently unloaded Love and Rockets aside. (Where's all the darned Ralph Snart??!!!) Will we find out in 10-15 years when some massive stash is pieced out at HA or CLink? I also wonder about that "475" at the bottom - what's that for?

Godzilla 2 was the 1st comic I ever remember reading as a child and the title has always had a soft spot in my heart. The stories weren't bad but Herb's Trimpe's art captivated me. I was fortunate enough to buy the splash page to issue 14 from HA in 2004.

God 14A.jpg

19 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I think he more or less left comics to go into animation, storyboarding, something like that. He has returned to comics a bit in recent years, doing a couple of random issues here and there, a few covers, etc. He was really active on FB for a while, and I spoke to him there a bit. His wife passed away recently and he more or less stepped away from art for a time. But if his website is to be believed, he has a project in the works, so hopefully we'll see more from him soon!

Bret Blevins made an appearance at Silicon Valley Comic Con in 2016. I didn't talk to him specifically about what he had been up to, but it is my understanding that he was doing storyboards during his gap in comics. I didn't know about his wife passing recently. Sad. I had read somewhere--maybe an Image Comics newsletter, that he was teaming up with a "name brand" writer on an Image book; but searching the Image site, nothing pops up. It might be on hold due to his wife's passing? Otherwise, an insider told me that Bret has held on to all/most of his artwork.