Show off your under-appreciated art
2 2

109 posts in this topic

5,300 posts
4 hours ago, vodou said:

Dig it. Is there an Eric Sack of 80s b/w indie art out there? I wonder because there should be tons of it floating around. But there isn't, some TMNT, Cerebus and recently unloaded Love and Rockets aside. (Where's all the darned Ralph Snart??!!!) Will we find out in 10-15 years when some massive stash is pieced out at HA or CLink? I also wonder about that "475" at the bottom - what's that for?

Jeff did a couple of "phone book" type tpb's of Ultra Klutz- he added the number 475 to the bottom of the cover to signify the page it is on in the tpb. I wouldn't mind taking that off at some point.

When I talked to Mr Hansen, he told me all the Snart artwork was all gone... there are two possibilities outside the norm (however unlikely) to consider in a case like this where no art has apparently surfaced in decades-

1) He still has it all and tells people it is gone as he doesn't want to sell, and doesn't want to be hounded about it

2) He tossed it all out for whatever reason (or all got destroyed somehow)

You've been searching I'm sure many more years than I... if not a page has surfaced (or just a couple have popped up) over decades then it is highly unlikely he sold individual pieces through the years at cons and what not. 

5,371 posts

Godzilla 2 was the 1st comic I ever remember reading as a child and the title has always had a soft spot in my heart. The stories weren't bad but Herb's Trimpe's art captivated me. I was fortunate enough to buy the splash page to issue 14 from HA in 2004.

God 14A.jpg

835 posts
19 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I think he more or less left comics to go into animation, storyboarding, something like that. He has returned to comics a bit in recent years, doing a couple of random issues here and there, a few covers, etc. He was really active on FB for a while, and I spoke to him there a bit. His wife passed away recently and he more or less stepped away from art for a time. But if his website is to be believed, he has a project in the works, so hopefully we'll see more from him soon!

Bret Blevins made an appearance at Silicon Valley Comic Con in 2016. I didn't talk to him specifically about what he had been up to, but it is my understanding that he was doing storyboards during his gap in comics. I didn't know about his wife passing recently. Sad. I had read somewhere--maybe an Image Comics newsletter, that he was teaming up with a "name brand" writer on an Image book; but searching the Image site, nothing pops up. It might be on hold due to his wife's passing? Otherwise, an insider told me that Bret has held on to all/most of his artwork.

185 posts
16 hours ago, vodou said:

Where's all the darned Ralph Snart??!!!

x2.  Would be nice to see some Boris The Bear and It's Science With Dr. Radium artwork hit the streets...

1,048 posts
17 minutes ago, The Shoveler said:

x2.  Would be nice to see some Boris The Bear and It's Science With Dr. Radium artwork hit the streets...

I second (triple?!) that. Looking for some Boris art too.

327 posts

This thread totally made me think of Boris the Bear!  

What a seriously bizarre shift in tone that comic took!  It started as a satire piece to make fun of, and then slaughter all of the popular characters and trends in comics of the time, and then turned this humorless, depressing book.

I remember as a kid buying it month after month thinking, "Okay, surely THIS month he's going to get back to killing TMNT clones.  Nope, this is the one where it turns out his best friend was molested."

18 posts
On 5/22/2017 at 4:53 PM, desertdogg20061 said:

a awesome page in my collection that do get any love is my Kevin Vanhook   page 18 from caliber comics rocky picture horror show # 1.     larry ;]

comic art update june 2015 006.JPG

This is outstanding. I didn't even know this book existed. 

185 posts
On 6/1/2017 at 0:19 AM, Flambit said:

This thread totally made me think of Boris the Bear!  

What a seriously bizarre shift in tone that comic took!  It started as a satire piece to make fun of, and then slaughter all of the popular characters and trends in comics of the time, and then turned this humorless, depressing book.

I remember as a kid buying it month after month thinking, "Okay, surely THIS month he's going to get back to killing TMNT clones.  Nope, this is the one where it turns out his best friend was molested."

I must have dropped the book before it turned into "a very important After School Special episode of Boris The Bear."  My only memories of the book are happy adolescent fun...With a dose of Sophomoric Suspense© in the case of the "Dump Thing" issue!

607817.jpg

1 post

Here is my favourite piece of Todd McFarlane Spiderman art that I have.  It is from Spiderman issue #2 Page 9.  Enjoy. I have decided to sell it at Heritage Auctions in August to pay for my some of son's education.  Enjoy it.  I bought it at a comic book convention in Toronto from Todd McFarlane who was selling it.

Spiderman #2 - Page 9 Full View.JPG

1,231 posts
8 hours ago, MooseBoyz said:

Here is my favourite piece of Todd McFarlane Spiderman art that I have.  It is from Spiderman issue #2 Page 9.  Enjoy. I have decided to sell it at Heritage Auctions in August to pay for my some of son's education.  Enjoy it.  I bought it at a comic book convention in Toronto from Todd McFarlane who was selling it.

Spiderman #2 - Page 9 Full View.JPG

You and I have different definitions of "under-appreciated".

4,980 posts
4 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

Well, it was his first post  lol

340 posts
On 6/4/2017 at 7:22 PM, Hal Turner said:

Lol.   Would love to see what else you have if this is under-appreciated. 

51,001 posts

Ross Campbell unrecognized genius and author/artist of 'Wet Moon'.  Two of my pages:

ross_campbell.jpg

wet 3.jpg

Edited by kav

6,402 posts
On 6/7/2017 at 7:41 PM, kav said:

Ross Campbell unrecognized genius and author/artist of 'Wet Moon'.  Two of my pages:

ross_campbell.jpg

wet 3.jpg

It's great stuff, nice pages! I loved Campbell's work on Glory.

4,980 posts

I also loved Glory, great work on that book.

Also, Ross is now Sophia.

3,757 posts

Could be. I was going by the Wikipedia and we all know it doesn't contain errors. :)

7,252 posts
12 hours ago, irchooker said:

I haven't asked her explicitly, but my understanding is that Sophia is her correct name.  Sophie is the nickname she predominantly uses.  

This exactly. 

But the reason we're talking about her so much is her name needs to be brought up more as a fantastic artist that needs a lot more recognition

wet_moon04-orig.jpg