• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your under-appreciated art
1 1

105 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

hm

Yup, she's gone! I've recently decided to rethink my collection focus, and this thread sorta spurred that. The fact that I haven't been able to turn up anymore Blevins pieces in all of these years lead me to decide to narrow my focus. So, off she went. Still think Blevins is criminally underappreciated, but I'm not chasing him anymore. 

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Yup, she's gone! I've recently decided to rethink my collection focus, and this thread sorta spurred that. The fact that I haven't been able to turn up anymore Blevins pieces in all of these years lead me to decide to narrow my focus. So, off she went. Still think Blevins is criminally underappreciated, but I'm not chasing him anymore. 

I was watching it, it went pretty quick!

7 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I was watching it, it went pretty quick!

Yeah, I was sorta surprised and sorta sad at the same time. I love the piece, but I've had it for about 6 years now and haven't added any more Blevins to the collection in that time, so I figured it was time to cut my losses. I'm also sort of in the process of winnowing the collection down to what I can reasonably display. Having art in portfolios just isn't doing it for me anymore. So, I'm letting go of some stuff I never thought I'd sell, and so far I feel surprisingly ok about it. 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, Jordysnordy said:

Godzilla 2 was the 1st comic I ever remember reading as a child and the title has always had a soft spot in my heart. The stories weren't bad but Herb's Trimpe's art captivated me. I was fortunate enough to buy the splash page to issue 14 from HA in 2004.

God 14A.jpg

That's an awesome splash Jeff.   I could see why you liked these issues. 

On 5/31/2017 at 10:25 AM, Jordysnordy said:

Godzilla 2 was the 1st comic I ever remember reading as a child and the title has always had a soft spot in my heart. The stories weren't bad but Herb's Trimpe's art captivated me. I was fortunate enough to buy the splash page to issue 14 from HA in 2004.

God 14A.jpg

Yes. Love those 70's Godzilla pages. Have been looking for some for a while. People hold onto them, and they are very hard to find. Great piece!

6 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yes. Love those 70's Godzilla pages. Have been looking for some for a while. People hold onto them, and they are very hard to find. Great piece!

Someone had a dozen or so panel pages from the first few issues on eBay several years ago for around 150-200 each. They sold quickly and I wish I had been more aggressive, although I did get two pages.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:00 PM, zhamlau said:

Dont think I posted this here, but Mine is going to be Twin Earths and in specific this daily. Al McWilliams was as talented an artist as you would find at EC, but he never gets the credit due. I think some of the dailies on TE were as good a sci-fi daily as ever done. They range in price depending on mood and quality. I picked this up from a collector who acquired it in 1970. It supposedly was worked on by Frazetta as well, but honestly I have my doubts (seeing as they never worked on anything before). I think they just had similar styles hence the thought. Regardless dailies are on the cheaper side considering their age, and this was the single best daily of the entire run (to me anyway). That its not more widely known is why i think its under-appreciated.

McWilliamsFixed.jpg

Al McWlliams is very under rated. I'm still looking for a good Twin Earths daily or Sunday. Yours is a good example :)

I like that Twin Earths daily quite a bit myself, but I don't know that I would go so far as to say its the best one in the entire run. There are some good ones out there. I have a friend with a single panel daily that is a real doozy.

Here's one that is maybe so underappreciated, even I don't really appreciate it much any more. I'm actually afraid to go back and try reading it again. It's been 20 years, and in truth, I'm not sure the rest of the book looks as good as this splash, or that the story will be as interesting to me all these years later.

COVENTRY...
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1405828

For those not aware, back in 1996, Bill Willingham conceived an idea for a comic book wherein fictitious characters exist in an alternative version of the real world. Some have likened it to a prototype for what would become Fables. All I know is that I really liked the book, and Bill stopped producing it at issue three. I've never seen Bill explain exactly why.

Nevertheless, I was a fan, and in 1996-97 Bill came out to Small Press Expo to promote the latest release. I was already a big fan of the books out so far, and looking forward to many more issues. As it turned out I think we only got one more. I was also a very active OA collector by this time, so I immediately asked Bill if he had any art from the series. He'd only brought 2 pieces to show people, and had no intention of selling them. But after chatting for a while he said he supposed he would sell me whichever of the two I wanted, but that it would be the only piece of art he would sell (at least at the time) from the series.

My choices were for the cover to issue #1 or the opening splash page, which you see at my CAF link above. I chose the interior splash because the book was published in b&w, so I felt like it better represented the series. Plus the cover had one frog and was mostly white. The splash was covered in frogs. What a dummy, as that cover is iconic for the series, and as a bit of marketing in my mind. Made at a time when everyone was holofoil triple-foldout covers, Bill released a cover that was mostly white, with just the series logo and 1 small frog painted on it. It practically leaped from the racks into my hands.

Anyway, this piece has been mine ever since.
I recently re-discovered it at my parent's house as they were preparing to move out, and told me to come and get my they'd been storing. :)

28 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Here's one that is maybe so underappreciated, even I don't really appreciate it much any more. I'm actually afraid to go back and try reading it again. It's been 20 years, and in truth, I'm not sure the rest of the book looks as good as this splash, or that the story will be as interesting to me all these years later.

COVENTRY...
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1405828

For those not aware, back in 1996, Bill Willingham conceived an idea for a comic book wherein fictitious characters exist in an alternative version of the real world. Some have likened it to a prototype for what would become Fables. All I know is that I really liked the book, and Bill stopped producing it at issue three. I've never seen Bill explain exactly why.

Nevertheless, I was a fan, and in 1996-97 Bill came out to Small Press Expo to promote the latest release. I was already a big fan of the books out so far, and looking forward to many more issues. As it turned out I think we only got one more. I was also a very active OA collector by this time, so I immediately asked Bill if he had any art from the series. He'd only brought 2 pieces to show people, and had no intention of selling them. But after chatting for a while he said he supposed he would sell me whichever of the two I wanted, but that it would be the only piece of art he would sell (at least at the time) from the series.

My choices were for the cover to issue #1 or the opening splash page, which you see at my CAF link above. I chose the interior splash because the book was published in b&w, so I felt like it better represented the series. Plus the cover had one frog and was mostly white. The splash was covered in frogs. What a dummy, as that cover is iconic for the series, and as a bit of marketing in my mind. Made at a time when everyone was holofoil triple-foldout covers, Bill released a cover that was mostly white, with just the series logo and 1 small frog painted on it. It practically leaped from the racks into my hands.

Anyway, this piece has been mine ever since.
I recently re-discovered it at my parent's house as they were preparing to move out, and told me to come and get my they'd been storing. :)

I haven't read COVENTRY but your bygone love for the series -- and your description -- intrigues me. I may have to go hunting for at least the first issue.

That is a fine page full of frogs, nicely drawn and worthy of admiration. If I had a frog-based collection, I would be deeply envious. It's pretty cool that you were able to purchase a page from the series.

Went through all the pages in this thread and I definitely appreciate the majority of everyone’s postings. Lots of cool art here.  I think most of my small collection fits this thread.

Edited by Reader

Eduardo Barreto I felt has been under appreciated, always over shadowed by George Perez and a lesser extend Jose Garcia-Lopez on New Teen Titans. He worked almost exclusively for DC and worked on most of the major characters. I think he strong composition is over looked too much. He does some amazing work. New Teen Titans and Shadow Strikes are two of his best series but worked on Superman, Elseworld Speeding Bullets and his last work (unfinished) was a graphic novel on Sinbad.

New Teen Titans #28

NTT_28_cvr.jpg

New Teen Titan #39 page 20

NTT39_20.jpg

The Shadow Strikes #2

Shadow Strikes #2 cover.jpg

The Shadow Strikes #2 page 7

Shadow Strikes #2 page 7.jpg

Sinbad GN cover

Sinbad_cover.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

Eduardo Barreto I felt has been under appreciated, always over shadowed by George Perez and a lesser extend Jose Garcia-Lopez on New Teen Titans. He worked almost exclusively for DC and worked on most of the major characters. I think he strong composition is over looked too much. He does some amazing work. New Teen Titans and Shadow Strikes are two of his best series but worked on Superman, Elseworld Speeding Bullets and his last work (unfinished) was a graphic novel on Sinbad.

New Teen Titans #28

NTT_28_cvr.jpg

New Teen Titan #39 page 20

NTT39_20.jpg

The Shadow Strikes #2

Shadow Strikes #2 cover.jpg

The Shadow Strikes #2 page 7

Shadow Strikes #2 page 7.jpg

Sinbad GN cover

Sinbad_cover.jpg

I like Barrtto - and to me- some of his line work/technique reminds me a bit of Brian Bolland.  Those are awesome examples above.

I'm hooked on Evan Dorkin's work on the now completed Eltingville Club. Its a comic about comics and comic fans. The funhouse mirror view can be a bit painful to see at times, but clearly made by someone who gets and loves the medium. Got several pages now from across the various arcs and love all of them.

15103615730_a009b28b4a_b.jpg