• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400,000 copies of the same comic book...

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I recall Ren and Stimpy 1 being sold out at the time.  I wonder if someone did the same with that issue?

Yep for sure same guy do not remember the copies but probably 500 or so.  His name was Alberto..I am sure Alberto is probably homeless and his kid ..did not get a college education via comic books..  A store owner I worked for once he had quite the set up convince them to hoard multiple issues..then because those issues take up a lot of space charge them a storage fee to keep said books in the store's warehouse at the time we had 250,000 plus books and massive storage so charge an fee like $45 a month for them to keep the overpriced worthless comics they bought in a climate control warehouse where the wife wouldn't see them..and the customer couldn't just roll up and get his books because it was a different location he had to make an appointment etc inconvenient..but also some rich fancy pants would forget for years they had these books there and if they forgot to drop a check OR forgot to pay for pull boxes..he would just keep said books (which they already prepaid for before they were even ordered)   We did have about 4k copies of each Xforce cover (gatefold etc etc) and someone abandoned them.. store had a sale
"#1 XFORCE ALL VARIANTS HOT INVESTMENT" special..1 of each for $3.00 each book...10 of each for $2.50 a book.etc up to 100 sets for a "sale price"  We had multiple long boxes of all those special covers ..variants, 1/2 books, you know all the "special" books that would be super rare and htf and worth $$$$$$$ not...

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I recall Ren and Stimpy 1 being sold out at the time.  I wonder if someone did the same with that issue?

Both Ren & Stimpy and Beavis & Butthead have now been brought up.

Makes me ponder the future of Rick & Morty #1 which is now selling for $150+.

At 300 books per long box it would take 1,333 long boxes to make up the 400,000 copies.  That is a lot of long boxes of 1 book.

51 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

At 300 books per long box it would take 1,333 long boxes to make up the 400,000 copies.  That is a lot of long boxes of 1 book.

That's more than half a mile long!

That's roughly the same distance between the Mile High Comics Mega Store and Fox Cannabis shop in Denver.

milehigh.thumb.jpg.4025f653b07e05dacc0290a21247ea48.jpg 

1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

That's roughly the same distance between the Mile High Comics Mega Store and Fox Cannabis shop in Denver.

Assuming 50 lbs a long box that's 33 tons of comic books.  You would need a dump truck to move that many drek comics.  They all better not be Beavis and ButtHead #1 - I had no problem selling all 60 copies in my last collection for $1 each.  Not sure if you could move 400,000 at $1 a piece but I'm sure they would move quickly for $10 for 20 copies.

Edited by 1Cool

10 hours ago, Not*Sure* said:

Somewhere ..out there one of my old customers is trying to figure out what to do with the 2500 copies of Beavis and Butthead #1 he swore were such a good investment he would never have a problem sending his kid to college lol
He also bought 1200 copies of a lady death book..because we would not order 1200 for the shop just to get him a special variant cover
He is probably trying to find someone to buy those lol

Huh, I've been known to pick up B&B 1 when I find it in 50 cent bins. Maybe...I'll stop doing that now.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Assuming 50 lbs a long box that's 33 tons of comic books.  You would need a dump truck to move that many drek comics.  They all better not be Beavis and ButtHead #1 - I had no problem selling all 60 copies in my last collection for $1 each.  Not sure if you could move 400,000 at $1 a piece but I'm sure they would move quickly for $10 for 20 copies.

If your weight math is correct, that's well over one and a half semis of the same book. The cost of shipping them would likely be as much as the real value of the books. They may be worth more being recycled into ceiling tiles or paper logs for fireplaces.

Ah I see a promotional comic!! 

I READ lol 

but if it's to never be revealed then it's never to be

Weird how he stated someone "offered him 400,000 issues of a comic" 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

There are only 47 CGC 8.0 and higher Blue label AF 15 on the census so the 1,000 would definitely cause some issues.  If you sold a few every couple months you may not see a big impact for a couple years but eventually the market would catch on and the price would drop big time.

Edited by 1Cool

7 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Isn't that Dan Slott's first comic work?

i'm not such a big fan of Dan Slott's writing and it's so long since I've even looked at the series that I completely forgot he was involved with it.  Good memory.

On 4/26/2017 at 8:14 AM, ygogolak said:

Both Ren & Stimpy and Beavis & Butthead have now been brought up.

Makes me ponder the future of Rick & Morty #1 which is now selling for $150+.

This time it will be different. :roflmao:

On 4/26/2017 at 10:47 AM, letsgrumble said:

I bet that's the best half mile walk to the comic shop...ever.  lol

I really want to know what this is.  I'm not that familiar with promos from that era because I tend to ignore them.  I would have guessed Warriors of Plasm 0 (was that free?), but Defiant has been defunct for 20+ years.