• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK #1 1st Indiana Jones?

29 posts in this topic

I think many first appearances in comic magazines are listed as such, but their first appearance in comic book size books are noted as "first comic book appearance" if I'm correct. An example would be Hulk 271 which states on the CGC label as such for Rocket Raccoon. Raiders does not have it on their label though as I looked just now at a sold signature set on Ebay. Maybe it should be suggested.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

I am of the opinion that a reprint is not the first appearance of anyone or anything.

Except when someone asks for the first appearance in a comic.  :wink:

6 hours ago, Philflound said:

I think many first appearances in comic magazines are listed as such, but their first appearance in comic book size books are noted as "first comic book appearance" if I'm correct. An example would be Hulk 271 which states on the CGC label as such for Rocket Raccoon. Raiders does not have it on their label though as I looked just now at a sold signature set on Ebay. Maybe it should be suggested.

In the magazine, he was Rocky Racoon.

Dreadstar first appeared in Epic Magazine. No one says Dreadstar 1 is his appearance.

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

Except when someone asks for the first appearance in a comic.  :wink:

Which is kind of silly considering that a comic magazine is really just an oversized comic book. When you add in the fact that comic publishers referred to comic books as comic magazines for decades even going so far as to actually printing the word magazine on the cover at times, it becomes even more silly.

32 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Which is kind of silly considering that a comic magazine is really just an oversized comic book. When you add in the fact that comic publishers referred to comic books as comic magazines for decades even going so far as to actually printing the word magazine on the cover at times, it becomes even more silly.

I know this may be viewed by some as narcissism but this thread stopped being interesting after rjrjr's response quoting my last post. 

On 4/28/2017 at 11:33 PM, shadroch said:

I am of the opinion that a reprint is not the first appearance of anyone or anything.

I agree, but that doesn't stop collectors for valuing Star Wars #42 higher than the actual first appearance of Boba Fett.  The reasoning is it is the first "comic book" appearance.

I think the precedence has already been set.  Some collectors want the first appearance but most seem to want the first appearance in a standard sized comic book.

Edited by rjrjr