• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK #1 1st Indiana Jones?

29 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2017 at 0:24 PM, sfcityduck said:

Never met such collectors. 

How does that work for Elfquest?  

I assume those collectors just don't collect books whose first appearance are in magazines. (shrug)  They look for the first regular sized comic and consider that the 1st appearance instead.  And if Elfquest never appeared in a regular sized comic, well, then Elfquest isn't collected.  (I don't know, I'm just saying.)

Edited by rjrjr

On 5/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, shadroch said:

The one I really don't get is Gambit. How is an appearance in an Annual not a first appearance?   FF Annual #5 features the birth of Franklin Richards. How is that not his first appearance?

I know this has been discussed ad naseum, but I think in some cases we just have to look at what the creative people were intending rather than focus on ship dates. And this coming from someone with multiple copies of X-Men Annual #14, including 2 in 9.8, and only one copy of 266

28 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I know this has been discussed ad naseum, but I think in some cases we just have to look at what the creative people were intending rather than focus on ship dates. And this coming from someone with multiple copies of X-Men Annual #14, including 2 in 9.8, and only one copy of 266

Even that isn't consistent. The first Turtles in color was supposed to be in Grimjack #26. There is even a reference to it in the story, but due to some publishing problems, it came out a few months after another title.  So do we go with creative intent or by publishing date? I'll give you two guesses, and if you say creative process, I'll let you use your second guess.

I just wish things were more consistent. 

Edited by shadroch

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Even that isn't consistent. The first Turtles in color was supposed to be in Grimjack #26. There is even a reference to it in the story, but due to some publishing problems, it came out a few months after another title.  So do we go with creative intent or by publishing date? I'll give you two guesses, and if you say creative process, I'll let you use your second guess.

I just wish things were more consistent. 

I don't go with anything because I don't care about the Turtles. And I don't know why where they first appeared in color would matter to a collector. But I'm not sure that creative intent is even a factor here, unless there is something unique about color in the story. In the Gambit example, it seems clear to me that 266 was meant to be an introduction to Gambit, and they had to tweak the annual story slightly so it would make sense who that new guy is.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:06 AM, Philflound said:

I think many first appearances in comic magazines are listed as such, but their first appearance in comic book size books are noted as "first comic book appearance" if I'm correct. An example would be Hulk 271 which states on the CGC label as such for Rocket Raccoon. Raiders does not have it on their label though as I looked just now at a sold signature set on Ebay. Maybe it should be suggested.

This is different as the comic was a reprint.  Hulk 271 is a whole different story than the magazine proto-Rocket appeared in.

On 8/30/2017 at 7:59 AM, Bronzed Jbone said:

I thought comic books were regulated by the CCA and magazines were not, i.e. Mad Magazine.  Does that make a difference between first appearances?

A little history.  The Comic Code Authority stamp was given to comic books which adhered to guidelines promulgated by the Comics Magazine Association of America (which came into being in 1954).  The CCA guidelines were largely based on the guidelines issued by the Association of Comics Magazine Publishers in 1948. 

(Is everyone seeing the word "magazine" throughout this history.)

The CCA had no authority to censor publishers.  Compliance was voluntary.  Although distributors and retailers may well have refused to sell comic books without the CCA approval.  This is not certain, however, because Dell Comics and Gold Key did not display CCA stamps on their comic books.  Also, there were times when comic publishers, such as Marvel, published comic books without CCA stamps and no apparent ramifications.

You are right, however, that the CCA did not apply to comics packaged in a magazine format.  This too was probably a business decision by the publishers to ensure that self-censorship did not creep into their regular magazine offerings. 

On 8/30/2017 at 7:59 AM, Bronzed Jbone said:

I thought comic books were regulated by the CCA and magazines were not, i.e. Mad Magazine.  Does that make a difference between first appearances?

CGC notes Epic 3 as the first appearance of Dreadstar.  So the answer appears to be, and should be IMHO, no.