• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 129 thoughts?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

ASM 129 thoughts?

I bought this as a blue label 9.0. I got it signed by Stan last year, sent to CCS and just got it back from CGC. It went up to 9.4. Great! :applause:

BUT, I my intention was to send it off this week to get Romita Sr and Conway to sign it soon. 

Here are pics and the grading notes:

light spine stress lines
small tear top staple
very light crease right bottom of

My worry is that if I regrade, I don't hit 9.4 again. What do you guys think? Does this look like easy 9.4? 9.2? What would you do? Im torn. ???

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

Edited by kevhtx

It looks good to me, the centering may detract, but as far as the grader notes re-pressing if you get more sigs may add to the detraction making it a 9.2. If buying another one is an option do that! This looks like a great book :) There seems to be a flaw reaching between the P and the I of Spiderman, unless that is on the case...

Along with the yellow appearing to come through on the P & the I, there seems to be a dot of yellow coming through on the S.

This alone "may" not count for much but along with the grader's notes etc. Maybe contact joeypost, I've heard a lot of people express faith, idk, but he may be able to give you some more insight?

Thanks guys.

I think that might just be glare from the camera, but not sure. Im leaning towards just leaving it slabbed.

I have another ASM 129 that is a 7.0 but SS purple label (slight cover restoration). Someone took a highlighter and colored in a couple spine ticks. That book needs a press BAD. Its a very very nice book and much better than a 7.0. Its getting signed by Romita Sr. and Conway. Its already been signed by Lee and Thomas.

After it gets signed, its going to CCS to have the restoration removed then be pressed, then graded. My gut says it will be an 8.0. I was told based on pics they think they can remove the restoration and not affect the grade and then pressing should increase beyond that. There is some rippling that pressing will fix and an indentation where someone wrote on a label while it was in the bag. Other than that, corners are sharp and no other spine ticks.

What I might do, depending on that result, is try and sell this 9.4 (heartbreak) and keep that one. That way, I keep an ASM 129 in my collection and then have some money to help fund some other books or my house savings fund.

Beautiful book. Congrats on the bump! My great comic moment was when I got my copy back from CGC last year. Personally I would leave it as is. It does look like it can possibly go down to a 9.2. With staple tear I would avoid having it pressed again. That's the main reason I didn't press mine as the staples tend to be a little bit on top of the book instead of completely on the side.

Just now, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Beautiful book. Congrats on the bump! My great comic moment was when I got my copy back from CGC last year. Personally I would leave it as is. It does look like it can possibly go down to a 9.2. With staple tear I would avoid having it pressed again. That's the main reason I didn't press mine as the staples tend to be a little bit on top of the book instead of completely on the side.

Thanks man and congrats on yours too. I definitely don't want to press it again. I do feel like there is a risk I will lose .2 on the grade possibly. I think since I have an ASM 129 about to get signed, that kinda makes my decision a little easier.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm a little surprised that you want to keep the one with the complete sig portfolio rather than the 9.4 lol but $$ can make all the difference ;) 

Yeah, once I have the other and know the grade, Ill decide for sure. If its 8.0 or over and signed by all those guys, I might keep that one. 

Typically, on first appearance books, I like to get the creators of the character to sign the book. So, in this case, Conway would be nice to have on it. Stan Lee really wasn't needed on this one, but since he created Spider-man, I added him on it. 

Also, money is a factor here. Punisher isnt a HUGE character for me, so owning an 8.0 or 8.5 versus a 9.4 is not a problem. Having an extra couple grand in my pocket for my house or a golden age Tec or Supes is a nice thought.