• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could only keep 5 books
6 6

418 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Okay, after much hemming and hawing, I am going with these 5 and the 7-month story that unites them. It starts with seeing the Cap alone in a showcase in an antiques shop with what seems an out of line price on it. The store owner informs me it's a consignment and gives me the dealer's name and number. Knowing nothing about the guy, I call him up and finally after three weeks of phone tag get to inquire about the book, broaching the price gingerly. He says, "Oh, that's just for my reference. You can have it for X." Sold!

I go to the shop a few days later, pick it up, and call him to inform him I had followed through. THAT is when he says, "I have some more if you're interested."

"What else have you got?"

"Let me see here...Sub-Mariner 5, Batman 10, Leading 1,2,4,5; Superman 55..."

I make a arrangements to meet him at a local flea market, but it's a few weeks out because he is a vintage record dealer, often doing shows. He occasionally fills non-show weekends at this flea market. Okay, let's take a look at those books you told me about.

"Oh, I didn't bring them today. But I have these." He pulls out The Torch and the Subby 14, plus a Cap 78, and immediately informs me that the Torch and Cap are on hold for a guy. So I purchase the Subby 14 and ask him to call me if the other guy doesn't come through. And I still want to meet to see the other books. And how did you get them, anyway?

"I was buying this old guy's massive record collection, and as I was leaving with the records, he throws a handful of comics on the box I'm carrying out and says here, take these old things too." So they are all from an original owner, with a brief interim in the possession a disinterested vinyl dealer who simply knows very old comics have some value.

As I'm leaving, he says, "Oh, I put another one in the shop. Go see it. You can have it for X." Okay, please tell the owner and I'll take a look. That was the America's Best #10.

I call again to arrange to see the DC's and Subby 5 that I've yet to see, only to be told he took them to a large show and some guy came through and bought them. All gone. I thought I hit the end of the line. 

But a couple weeks later he calls. The Torch and Cap deal fell through. I make arrangements to meet him and buy the two. Thinking it's all that's left, I am unprepared when he produces an All-Winners #3. But we negotiate a price and a time to meet again. Due to his travel schedule it's a month out, but he swears he will hold it for me. Finally, seven months after it began with a casual walk through an antiques shop, I've acquired every piece of this guy's little find that I could. With a sole exception for a TTA #27, I refused buy another book of any consequence in the period I was going back and forth with this guy, never quite sure when we would get together and a Subby 5 or Batman 10 or something I wasn't expecting would be put in front of me. It was exciting  and nerve-wracking because he was such a flighty, cavalier character who wasn't focused on comics, so I felt like I had to keep dry powder handy on the off-chance he would produce another piece he forgot to mention. That's the basic version of the cat-and-mouse negotiation. Zany, but a good time! :cloud9:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very cool books and great story. I feel your pain. I once bought a very large collection of Atomic Age books one small box at a time. Took almost a year. Every time I hooked up with the guy there were just awesome books. He was the original owner and was just selling them as he needed some cash. Worth the wait but torture.

10 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Okay, after much hemming and hawing, I am going with these 5 and the 7-month story that unites them. It starts with seeing the Cap alone in a showcase in an antiques shop with what seems an out of line price on it. The store owner informs me it's a consignment and gives me the dealer's name and number. Knowing nothing about the guy, I call him up and finally after three weeks of phone tag get to inquire about the book, broaching the price gingerly. He says, "Oh, that's just for my reference. You can have it for X." Sold!

I go to the shop a few days later, pick it up, and call him to inform him I had followed through. THAT is when he says, "I have some more if you're interested."

I make a arrangements to meet him at a local flea market, but it's a few weeks out because he is a vintage record dealer, often doing shows. He occasionally fills non-show weekends at this flea market. Okay, let's take a look at those books you told me about.

"Oh, I didn't bring them today. But I have these." He pulls out The Torch and the Subby 14, plus a Cap 78, and immediately informs me that the Torch and Cap are on hold for a guy. So I purchase the Subby 14 and ask him to call me if the other guy doesn't come through. And I still want to meet to see the other books. And how did you get them, anyway?

"I was buying this old guy's massive record collection, and as I was leaving with the records, he throws a handful of comics on the box I'm carrying out and says here, take these old things too." So they are all from an original owner, with a brief interim in the possession a disinterested vinyl dealer who simply knows very old comics have some value.

As I'm leaving, he says, "Oh, I put another one in the shop. Go see it. You can have it for X." Okay, please tell the owner and I'll take a look. That was the America's Best #10.

I call again to arrange to see the DC's and Subby 5 that I've yet to see, only to be told he took them to a large show and some guy came through and bought them. All gone. I thought I hit the end of the line. 

But a couple weeks later he calls. The Torch and Cap deal fell through. I make arrangements to meet him and buy the two. Thinking it's all that's left, I am unprepared when he produces an All-Winners #3. But we negotiate a price and a time to meet again. Due to his travel schedule it's a month out, but he swears he will hold it for me. Finally, seven months after it began with a casual walk through an antiques shop, I've acquired every piece of this guy's little find that I could. With a sole exception for a TTA #27, I refused buy another book of any consequence in the period I was going back and forth with this guy, never quite sure when we would get together and a Subby 5 or Batman 10 or something I wasn't expecting would be put in front of me. It was exciting  and nerve-wracking because he was such a flighty, cavalier character who wasn't focused on comics, so I felt like I had to keep dry powder handy on the off-chance he would produce another piece he forgot to mention. That's the basic version of the cat-and-mouse negotiation. Zany, but a good time! :cloud9:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

(thumbsu

11 hours ago, Readcomix said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great story and the books are in nice condition given what I would have expected from the back story.

7 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I've held that Zip in my hands and it is simply awesome.

All the girls say so.

19 hours ago, Readcomix said:

image.jpeg

Great story, thanks for sharing it! Sounds like long-term fly fishing!

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Great story and the books are in nice condition given what I would have expected from the back story.

My thoughts too, Tony, once I heard that. Obviously, they have some variance (with the Torch being kept the nicest) but they are all fairly flat and glossy with nice spines considering they come from a guy who supposedly didn't care. 

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool books and great story. I feel your pain. I once bought a very large collection of Atomic Age books one small box at a time. Took almost a year. Every time I hooked up with the guy there were just awesome books. He was the original owner and was just selling them as he needed some cash. Worth the wait but torture.

Exactly the same!

9 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Last five Allentowns...

zip9.jpg

Have you ever heard of the Pyramid of Collecting? As your tastes get more refined, you climb towards the top?

Mr. B is in a helicopter hovering overhead of the pyramid, looking down...

Jiminy, these are museum pieces...:applause::headbang::applause:

18 hours ago, BOOT said:
On 5/6/2017 at 1:02 PM, MrBedrock said:

Last five Allentowns...

zip9.jpg

Have you ever heard of the Pyramid of Collecting? As your tastes get more refined, you climb towards the top?

Mr. B is in a helicopter hovering overhead of the pyramid, looking down...

Jiminy, these are museum pieces...:applause::headbang::applause:

:gossip: So is he.