• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's TITANS on HBO Max
1 1

278 posts in this topic

Titans will be bringing a lot of changes in its third upcoming season, including where it’ll be airing as it moves from DC Universe to HBO Max. Since 2018, the Teen Titans live-action drama has been one of the darker shows to come out of DC TV as it reimagined the beloved franchise. Throughout their past two seasons, the team has expanded with various characters being brought in from the comics. The latest season also saw  Grayson finally take the last step to become Nightwing. The third season was originally supposed to arrive this fall, but due to the global pandemic, plans obviously changed.

But thanks to DC FanDome, viewers found out multiple exciting things that are coming in Titans season 3. Not only is Jason Todd going to become Red Hood, but the series will also see the introduction of Barbara Gordon and Scarecrow. The team will also re-locate as they’re leaving San Francisco for Gotham City. However, the biggest change to hit the series is that its third season will air on a new platform. With DC Universe becoming a comic service and HBO Max being WarnerMedia’s bigger priority, all of the original DC series is heading to the new platform, including Titans.

Currently, Titans are expected to return for season 3 sometime in the later part of 2021, with filming supposedly happening this fall. Given the resources being vastly different on DC Universe and HBO Max, it remains to be seen how different Titans might be when season 3 starts airing. Since the show has been a big focus for Warner Bros. TV, it’s not impossible that Titans' move to HBO Max might actually be incredibly benefiting. Besides the fact that it now has a stable home with HBO Max, being under a new distributor may allow Titans to change certain elements of how the show is made.

Since premiering on DC Universe, Titans has surprisingly not taken advantage of being a streaming series. Unlike the Arrowverse shows on The CW, Titans have the freedom to go beyond the regular 42-minute run that the broadcast shows go with. Their fellow spinoff series Doom Patrol has in both seasons gone beyond the 40-minute mark as they have episodes that have a length of over 50 minutes. But for unknown reasons, Titans never seemed to take the advantage of that in their first two seasons. Despite even having over 10 episodes, it has always felt like the writers had to cram in so much into every single episode when all they perhaps needed was longer airtime.

The last season introduction an overwhelming amount of arcs and characters from the war with Deathstroke, Project Cadmus to Starfire's feud with Blackfire. Given how large Titans has become at this point, if they're going with a 10-13 episode order, extending the air time for season 3 would benefit them tremendously. This is one of the biggest mythologies in DC Comics that comes with major heroes and villains as well as iconic arcs. Given that the live-action series is wanting to use it as much as possible, a 40-minute format simply won't do and hopefully, HBO Max will recognize that.

DC’s Titans has landed an early season 4 renewal on the HBO Max streaming service.

Having just acquired DC Universe’s original content library, HBO Max is already looking like an amazing home for their Titans superhero series. This should not be surprising to fans of the series, as Titans has already gotten early renewals before. The second season of Titans was ordered before the first one had even premiered, while the season 3 renewal was announced before the finale of season 2. Stargirl (now at The CW) also had its second season renewal ordered before the end of the season 1.

Furthermore, I have learned that HBO Max is interested in developing spin-offs based on Titans. Over the years, we have all heard many rumors about potential offshoots, but this time its closer to becoming a reality than its ever been.

Previously, I revealed that a Teen Titans spin-off series is in development. But, I have also heard about two more: a Red Hood series and an anthology series that follows members of the superhero team in-between seasons of Titans. Before you get your hopes up, I cannot confirm that these series are in development at the moment. For now, I only know that Warner Bros. is interested in developing Titans spin-offs and distributing them through HBO Max.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I am still just finishing Season 2 and I love it.

I am really impressed how they have handled Jericho and the story 
behind it. 

I am really looking forward to Terra is she in Season 3?

We shall see. I think they did a super job with Season 2.

The only real big complaint was the Donna Troy ending. But I have a feeling there is going to be a surprise twist to that ending that gets addressed in Season 3.

“Titans” has found its Barbara Gordon.

Variety has learned exclusively that Savannah Welch has been cast in the role of the HBO Max show’s upcoming third season. In Season 3, Gordon is Gotham City Police Commissioner. Uses a wheelchair. She used to be Batgirl until she was shot and paralyzed by the Joker. She has a combative relationship with Bruce Wayne. Her life gets more complicated when Grayson (Brenton Thwaites) returns to Gotham, rekindling their old romance and starting a new crime fighting partnership.

Welch is known for her role in the History Channel military drama “Six,” in which she played a Marine who suffered an amputation in combat. Her other onscreen appearances include the critically acclaimed films “Boyhood” and “Tree of Life.” Welch herself is an amputee, losing one of her legs after an accident in 2016. Since then, she has become a spokesperson for the disability community.

She is repped by Collier Talent Agency.

Barbara Gordon has been portrayed onscreen in both live-action and animated shows several times over the years. Yvonne Craig famously played the character in the “Batman” show in the 1960s opposite Adam West and Burt Ward. Dina Meyer also played the character in the short-lived “Birds of Prey” series for The WB. Most recently, Briana Cuoco voiced the character in the animated HBO Max series “Harley Quinn.”

“Titans” was renewed for a third season at DC Universe in Nov. 2019. However, it was announced in September 2020 that DC Universe was moving out of original scripted series, with its remaining scripted originals all shifting over to HBO Max.

“Titans” was the first scripted to series to launch on DC Universe, with the first season debuting in October 2018. The series was developed by Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Greg Berlanti, based on characters from DC. All three serve as executive producers along with Greg Walker and Sarah Schechter. The series is produced by Goldsman’s Weed Road Pictures and Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

36 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

That's just for the week, right?  Otherwise I would assume that Doom Patrol would be on there.  Correct me if I'm wrong @Nerdy Nix Nook.

It says 17-23 January right at the top of the chart. Or do you need me to point that out on Twitter?

:baiting:

On 2/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

I had a feeling that Season 2 finale was to trip viewers up on Donna's fate.

the photo for the season 4 renewal has her in it, which kind of makes me think she "comes back"... afterall, she was just electrocuted. she got punched in the face by clone superman/boy and was ok, but a little bit of electricity is supposed to kill her for good? that's silly.

35 minutes ago, the blob said:

the photo for the season 4 renewal has her in it, which kind of makes me think she "comes back"... afterall, she was just electrocuted. she got punched in the face by clone superman/boy and was ok, but a little bit of electricity is supposed to kill her for good? that's silly.

I thought the same thing. And the people that lost their minds that the show had disrespected the character, not realizing what happened may be part of a longer story.