• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeff Smith Bone OA question
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Jeff Smith Bone OA

Hello all. I have looked through discussions, but I have not found any concrete information. Does any Bone OA exist in the wild, or is it held or destroyed?

(Edited Topic name so no one is misinformed on intent)

Edited by Jesse_M
(Edited Topic name so no one is misinformed on intent)

As mentioned above, there is one Bone "auxiliary cover" out there. All of the mainline art is in the collection at Ohio State where the story originated.

Beyond the sketches that he's done (and which are much less common and more expensive now), there was a special drawing for the 20th anniversary book. It consisted of 50 lightboxed drawings by Jeff with watercolors from Steve Hamaker who colored the Scholastic Books. Click the image to see more.

Fone Bone by Jeff Smith Comic Art

There is actually one page from the Cyblade-Shi crossover issue that featured Bone drawn by Jeff in, if I remember correctly, three panels. I bought it directly from Billy Tucci, who drew the rest of the page. Billy had one other page with Bone on it and the DPS from that issue that had Bone, along with characters from other companies that were drawn by their creators. Billy, after selling me the one page, has said he won't sell the others because it technically is the only Bone published art that isn't in the Ohio State collection.

I ended up trading the page away a couple years ago and I know I saw it pop up on CAF last year.

I met Jeff when WonderCon was in the Bay Area in the 1990's.  Super nice guy and very down to earth.  No one was at his booth when I walked by and stopped to ask him about Bone.  He did 2 simple sketches for me - one Smiley and one Red Dragon.  They will always be a part of my collection.  Just the experience of chatting with him and seeing that he was interested in a fan made him one of my all-time favorite creators.

Edited by Lucky Baru

Vess did the figure on the rock and the rock itself. He was touring with originals from Stardust at the time.

Sarah and I saw the Trilogy folks in Chicago (the year Wizard took over I think), SDCC and one other stop that year.

I'm not really big on jam images myself, but that one's kind of a cool piece.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:03 AM, alxjhnsn said:

There is also the "Trilogy Tour" cover out there. It featured the characters from a number of creators who were touring cons together.

Jeff Smith's Rose, Thorn, Fone Bone, Smiley Bone

Linda Medley's Castle Waiting crew

Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo

Jill Thompson's Scary Godmother

Mark Crilley's Akiko

Charles Vess - darned if I know what he did on this cover. :(

eef1d4eeb0f0f70a64e400383ab20b5c.jpg

Love this piece.  During the tour the artists sat at tables in a square around a giant tree or rock. Wish I could dind the photos.