• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 1: The first and last of DC's great '50s Mystery/Sci-Fi anthologies
2 2

6 posts in this topic

House of Secrets 1: The first and last of DC's great '50s Mystey/Sci-Fi anthologies

The last of the DC mystery/sci-fi anthology books came out right after Showcase 4. I guess this makes House of Secrets 1 the first published Silver Age anthology book if Showcase 4 starts the Silver Age. House of Secrets 1 started a classic mystery/sci-if run where Martian Manhunter had his own little min-run, Eclipso first appeared, Abel started hosting books with fabulous Adams covers and inside the cover artwork later in the Silver Age, and where Wrightson gave us some of the greatest post-code mystery/horror covers in the history of comic books. Can't forget some great Sparling, Dominguez, and Kaluta covers. Want to also point out Ruben Moriera - an underappreciated artist who drew some great post-code mystery/sci-fi covers and this one is a postcode favorite of mine:IMG_1028.JPG.85e78fdc9e47ed52ac48ad00510389ed.JPG

Best,

John

Edited by bronze johnny

My guess is that you'll enjoy having the "giant hand" cover in you collection. The "Hand of Doom" solves the riddle of the Sphinx very much like Alexander the Great's Gordian Knot solution...

On 4/26/2017 at 4:26 AM, bronze johnny said:

House of Secrets 1: The first and last of DC's great '50s Mystey/Sci-Fi anthologies

The last of the DC mystery/sci-fi anthology books came out right after Showcase 4. I guess this makes House of Secrets 1 the first published Silver Age anthology book if Showcase 4 starts the Silver Age. House of Secrets 1 started a classic mystery/sci-if run where Martian Manhunter had his own little min-run, Eclipso first appeared, Abel started hosting books with fabulous Adams covers and inside the cover artwork later in the Silver Age, and where Wrightson gave us some of the greatest post-code mystery/horror covers in the history of comic books. Can't forget some great Sparling, Dominguez, and Kaluta covers. Want to also point out Ruben Moriera - an underappreciated artist who drew some great post-code mystery/sci-fi covers and this one is a postcode favorite of mine:IMG_1028.JPG.85e78fdc9e47ed52ac48ad00510389ed.JPG

Best,

John

That is the nicest copy of that book that I've ever seen. Rock on, John!