• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"It's not for sale... unless the price is right"
2 2

93 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2017 at 4:20 AM, Mr. Machismo said:

I've landed multiple five-figure pieces at no cost to me, while paying other collectors well for their pieces and providing many pieces to others at below market value or cost, all the while maintaining honest deals which both sides appreciate. That doesn't add up on the surface, but that's okay :)

While that sometimes means selling pieces I love and had no intention to move, it also means acquiring much larger pieces I couldn't once afford, and that'll be further evident on my CAF in about a month. There's a lot of assumptions that go on about my process, but those are just that: assumptions :)  

Your process has been interesting to watch.  I've never seen anything like it especially all of the custom framing just to part with the pieces a few months later.  Crazy stuff but it must be working for you.  Looking forward to the next update.

Edited by MONSTER

After giving this thread some further thought, I've now updated the opening description on my CAF home page to read:

"Hi there . . . I'm a long-time UK-based collector of original artwork since 1982.  Over the years, I've bought, sold and traded art.  I sometimes release artwork from my collection if faced with tempting offers.  I'm not a dealer, but occasional sales can take place to help fund other priorities in life.  The way it works with me is straightforward.  Anything marked as a 'Keeper' is not open for discussion, so please don't ask.   If I'm actively looking to sell a piece of art I will affix an asking price.  If it's marked as NFS, I might consider a sale, but in most cases I place the onus on the enquirer to make me a worthwhile offer.  If you're not prepared to follow-up with a good offer, please don't ask me to sell you anything . . . "

Terry Doyle

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

After giving this thread some further thought, I've now updated the opening description on my CAF home page to read:

"Hi there . . . I'm a long-time UK-based collector of original artwork since 1982.  Over the years, I've bought, sold and traded art.  I sometimes release artwork from my collection if faced with tempting offers.  I'm not a dealer, but occasional sales can take place to help fund other priorities in life.  The way it works with me is straightforward.  Anything marked as a 'Keeper' is not open for discussion, so please don't ask.   If I'm actively looking to sell a piece of art I will affix an asking price.  If it's marked as NFS, I might consider a sale, but in most cases I place the onus on the enquirer to make me a worthwhile offer.  If you're not prepared to follow-up with a good offer, please don't ask me to sell you anything . . . "

Terry Doyle

This looks great to me. Clear and friendly.

The only problem is that people often don't read.  Or their english may not be good - so misunderstand what you said.

8 hours ago, The Voord said:

Terry Doyle

Nicely worded

8 hours ago, The Voord said:

Terry Doyle

Nice try...but I decoded the secret message hidden within....

9 hours ago, The Voord said:

Terry Doyle

A Sir Mix-A-Lot fan as well! :insane:

Edited by Bronty

I had someone message me on CAF in regards to a Frazetta oil. They asked if it was for sale. "No, but I will certainly listen to offers." His next message was, "If you could let me know what you paid for it that would help me make an offer." I didn't think that warranted a response.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I had someone message me on CAF in regards to a Frazetta oil. They asked if it was for sale. "No, but I will certainly listen to offers." His next message was, "If you could let me know what you paid for it that would help me make an offer." I didn't think that warranted a response.

No kidding!   

Its funny but it seems we can usually tell in the first email or two if the person is a waste of time or not.   

13 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

A creative response might be fun "Well, there was a cash component, but the seller really wanted a left testicle. So I supplied him a left testicle, not mine of course. Not sure how many testes it would bring today but you're welcome to factor this into your calculation."

13 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

In that case, you tell him a figure 2-3x what you paid and wait for his response...