• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Main vs. Variant cover OA
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Main vs. Variant cover OA

I was curious if there is a trend in the OA collecting community that puts desirability or premium on a main cover vs. a variant, or visa versa?  Or if it really just comes down to the artist and image.  I know in published books, variants typically have a higher value, but that's mostly due to limited supply vs. demand.  With OA being usually 1/1, supply is a constant variable.  

Its basically the artist and image.  All things being equal, you might even argue that Variant covers are worth less. There are fewer printed so nostalgia would be less of a driving factor than a cover that was shown everywhere and everyone remembers the image.

In today's world, with many comics have multiple variant covers, you could even argue that those covers are more like pinups (and valued accordingly)

Malvin

4 minutes ago, malvin said:

Its basically the artist and image.  All things being equal, you might even argue that Variant covers are worth less. There are fewer printed so nostalgia would be less of a driving factor than a cover that was shown everywhere and everyone remembers the image.

In today's world, with many comics have multiple variant covers, you could even argue that those covers are more like pinups (and valued accordingly)

Malvin

Thanks Malvin!

I think Malvin has the right of it.

I had one of the "old" venom variant covers OA and I'm pretty sure when I sold it was a record for that artist's work, .  So, as always, it depends on demand.  Sometimes if it's an Homage cover people will dig it more, does it have a cool twist on something?  It's just a bad-spoon image?

For the most part, I personally prefer to buy something by the series artist and 9 times out of 10 that doesn't include the variant cover. However, that said, I have a few variant OA covers. I bought them both for different reasons...

The first is a variant to #1 of the series and I bought it as it was by far my favorite cover and had a very cool factor. I do know that the original sale price of my variant was 50% more than the original selling price to the regular #1 cover as they were both sold by the same art dealer upon release. I am not sure if the variant's current value would be more than the regular cover to #1 but I am sure it it would be at least the same. I have been offered more than my original purchase price numerous times but declined to sell due to my love of the cover.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1300689

The second cover I purchased as there was no original art for the comic (the series artist is digital). So, this cover and only a handful of other variant covers are the ONLY original art out there.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1376608

Both pieces are by popular current artists and the images and characters depicted are of key characters so that would help the value down the road i would think.

mathew

Now, for another question...issue covers vs [newly illustrated] collected volume covers ;)

The next generation of readers identify greater with the latter, sometimes equating that cover with the series as a whole...but it's still not an "original" cover. 

Just now, Mr. Machismo said:

Now, for another question...issue covers vs [newly illustrated] collected volume covers ;)

The next generation of readers identify greater with the latter, sometimes equating that cover with the series as a whole...but it's still not an "original" cover. 

I would be more interested in a collected volume cover rather than a variant cover since the chance of the collected volume cover being done by the series artist is greater.

48 minutes ago, artistlost said:

I would be more interested in a collected volume cover rather than a variant cover since the chance of the collected volume cover being done by the series artist is greater.

Depends on the artist and image to me.  If the regular series artist is mediocre, then I'd prefer the variant by Finch or Hughes or fill in the blank

1 hour ago, malvin said:

Malvin

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Regarding collected volume covers vs individual issue covers, I personally evaluate and value them case by case. 

If the regular cover is nice - I would prefer it, but great looking variants by an artist I like is better.  

Some variants have nothing to do with the series. I have seen nice covers - where its a variant featuring a character that is not in the series.  Since I cant recall the specific example - here is a made up example: a daredevil cover - showing captain america (no DD) and Cap is not in the story. Just on the variant.

I guess I'm a little more relaxed on this question. To me a published cover is a published cover is a published cover. 

Plus, any dealer selling original art for a variant cover will probably still decline to give you a discount 'just because it's a variant. '. Published is published.

Edited by thethedew