• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape on front and back cover

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

Since nobody has responded I will attempt to answer.

I know very little about restoration so I cannot answer your question about tape removal.

I can however give you my opinion (based on 38 years of collecting/experience and the grading standards) on a grade with or without the tape.

My books (3600 are all raw with two exceptions) so I have no CGC experience but I spent 8 month's in 2015 re-grading all of my books.

That is a square bound book and the tape was placed on the cover to protect from the staples wearing through the cover.

According to grading standards a book with tape will not garner a grade higher than a VG 4.0.

Although the book appears to present very well and IMO could be a VG/FN 5.0  if the tape was never present the *defects seen in the pics still place the book in the VG 4.0 - VG+ 4.5 range with or without the tape if you conservatively/strictly follow the grading standards.

*(Triangle missing from lower right corner, Slight chipping on lower left edge/left corner, Crease at lower right)

Grading Standards

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

I have no issues with tape so IMO, leave it alone.

Hope this helps.

With that amount of tape I would just leave it. The books still looks great and when you factor in the cost to remove it, grade it and ship it back its best to just leave it as is. With the tape that books 4.0 maybe 4.5

Even if the tape is removed, you will be left with the stain from the tape. Also, there's too much of it. The book is obviously low grade, no sense in spending more money on it . I recommend leaving it alone.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:00 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

Tape on front and back cover

Can someone tell me if this tape can be removed on this book? If so, what grade do you think it would get? Or leave it as is and what grade would it get? The front cover is pretty nice.

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

that's a tough book. I'd leave it alone. Looks 3.0-3.5 at the very minimum. If the tape were removed, I still see it as a 3.0 minimum. The tape is not obtrusive to the eye appeal. 

Once tape gets old enough and the glue dries, it will fall off. It may take many years. Regardless, you still have the stains from what I'm seeing. Removing it will probably not affect the grade so I would suggest leaving it as trying to remove the tape may result in tape pulls, which would definitely hurt the book.

On 5/1/2017 at 4:58 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Hello,

Since nobody has responded I will attempt to answer.

I know very little about restoration so I cannot answer your question about tape removal.

I can however give you my opinion (based on 38 years of collecting/experience and the grading standards) on a grade with or without the tape.

My books (3600 are all raw with two exceptions) so I have no CGC experience but I spent 8 month's in 2015 re-grading all of my books.

That is a square bound book and the tape was placed on the cover to protect from the staples wearing through the cover.

According to grading standards a book with tape will not garner a grade higher than a VG 4.0.

Although the book appears to present very well and IMO could be a VG/FN 5.0  if the tape was never present the *defects seen in the pics still place the book in the VG 4.0 - VG+ 4.5 range with or without the tape if you conservatively/strictly follow the grading standards.

*(Triangle missing from lower right corner, Slight chipping on lower left edge/left corner, Crease at lower right)

Grading Standards

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

I have no issues with tape so IMO, leave it alone.

Hope this helps.

You were right on the money!The book received a Universal 4.0! Very pleased!