• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planet Comics #53 Recil Macon Pedigree
1 1

28 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, mem72 said:

Planet Comics #53 Recil Macon Pedigree

Thanks to a wonderful wife, we were finally able to get our hands on one of my Dad's comics.  I smile every time I look at it.

IMG_0634.JPG

Congrats your dad had good taste 

1 minute ago, ThothAmon said:

Did you sell all the books after your father's death?  What did you know about his collection while you were growing up?

I did not. I saw a few with his name on them in a Comic Book shop in Abilene one day.  I asked the guy "why do you have my dad's comics ?" like they were still his LoL.  That started the ball rolling on him realizing he could sell them.  He started digging through them because he thought he had an Action #1.  My Dad actually sold his collection shortly before he retired in the early 90's.

Just now, mem72 said:

I did not. I saw a few with his name on them in a Comic Book shop in Abilene one day.  I asked the guy "why do you have my dad's comics ?" like they were still his LoL.  That started the ball rolling on him realizing he could sell them.  He started digging through them because he thought he had an Action #1.  My Dad actually sold his collection shortly before he retired in the early 90's.

Interesting.  What I read online was ...

RECIL MACON - In Abilene, Texas, 1990, this pedigree, similar in characteristics to the Lamont Larson collection, surfaced. The collector, Recil Macon, read comics during the 1940's and had a habit of writing his name on the books. Despite this, his collection was somewhat properly stored, as the collection exhibits white pages and beautiful colors and gloss. Unfortunately, they were stacked haphazardly, and many books were bent and became warped. As a result, cleaned and pressed Recil Macon copies are not uncommon.

In 1990 the son of Recil Macon began selling the collection off to Darren Wilson, a part-time dealer in the area. The collection numbered in the thousands and consisted of many early Timely, Quality, and DC. A few keys present included All-American #16, Captain America #1, Marvel Mystery #2-30, and Human Torch #1. Once the books were acquired in 1990 a majority were sold to Greg Bulls.

IDENTIFICATION-The main method to identify a Recil Macon is to locate the name written on the book. The location varies; the name can appear on the front cover, back cover, first page, centerfold, inside front cover, or any combination and sometimes multiple times. The name is written either in Pencil or Pen. Also present on many copies is the distributor code Mid-C. Using these two distinct markings identifying a Recil Macon becomes relatively easy.

DESIRABILITY-The two main detractors of a Recil Macon copy can be either the name (especially when written several times or in pen) or the warping from improper storage. But because of the fresh appearance of the books, along with minimal technical flaws, Recil Macons are quite desirable and currently bring 2x to 3x guide. 

--from Matt Nelson's comicrestoration.com

He sold them, not me.  I can only speculate that he kept his name out of it because he was worried about having a sale (income) right before he retired.  He sold the collection for next to nothing based on what I've seen some of his books go for.  I asked him about that multiple times and he always said "i only paid 5-10 cents for them, I got my money back and then some".

Edited by mem72

Not really. A few odds and ends but nothing serious.  Wife and I wanted something with my Dad's name that could be passed down to my son.  Hoping to find some more of his at a good price in the future.  The only other comic I own that has any value has Mark Hamill's signature on it.  We paid to have him autograph the Star Wars comic we received in a goody bag from Fax Expo Dallas two years ago.  He was there this year so it was only fitting to have him sign it!  I hope to get it slabbed sometime in the future.

3 hours ago, comicnoir said:

The story of this hobby is the original owner (in most cases) receives very little when selling. 

What your father got instead was immortality in this hobby. That rarely happens.

+1

Yes indeed, as your father's name will continue to live on in comic book history long after all of us have gone to the big LCS in the sky.  :golfclap:

Agreed.  He was never about flash and fame but it's quite an honor to know that his name will live on.  The first time I discovered that there was a pedigree with his name on it, I had tears in my eyes.  It's like seeing his name engraved on a plaque or etched in stone.

dad.JPG