• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its been 48 hrs since I notified the seller there was a problem, he has been online in the meantime and he seems to be ignoring me.

24 posts in this topic

Its been 48 hrs since I notified the seller there was a problem, he has been online in the meantime and he seems to be ignoring me.

How patient should I be with the seller here? The book was listed as case in mint condition and the item was promised to be well packaged with bubble wrap, the pictures below show what I received and the extent of the packing materials in the box. There was a little bit of bubble wrap in clumps, a couple bubbles and some useless paper wadded up.

The book was taped on 3 sides between 2 pieces of cardboard but the whole thing was too loose in the box to prevent damage. The outer box looks like it took a good shot but I have received books in boxes that looked similar that had ample bubble wrap and there was no issue.

I reached out via email and messaging to the seller immediately while I was at the post office Tuesday evening. To this point I have no response, and having watched the sellers profile, the seller has been online in the meantime, so basically I am getting the silent treatment/ignored.

I want to hope he will contact me to do the right thing, I really don't want to go down the paypal dispute road but I am starting to get that sinking feeling.

IMG_1962_zpsf4o0v2qc.jpg

IMG_1963_zps7knitany.jpg

image2_zpswtepjwwi.jpg

image1_zps9oy69jf3.jpg

Again I am not looking to flame the seller.

Edit 4/28 Sent the seller a message through paypal resolution center. In the meantime I notice the seller has been online again on the forums without contacting me.

Edited by PClark99

The seller finally responded to me yesterday.  They offered for me to handle the postal insurance claim  or they would offer me a little money to account for having the book reslabbed.  You guys make a good point the book may need a regrade.

The seller refuses to acknowledge the  poor packing job. I am just going to do a cc charge back and be done with this.  To expect me to have to handle the claim is another ridiculous matter.  That burden should definitely not be on me. I just don't think they get it.  This isn't how you handle something when it goes sideways. 

Disappointing from my end but to be honest given their hesitancy to engage in conversation  I'm not surprised.

Thanks all for the advice.  

Edited by PClark99

14 minutes ago, PClark99 said:

The seller finally responded to me yesterday.  They offered for me to handle the postal insurance claim  or they would offer me a little money to account for having the book reslabbed.  I shot them an offer of what I would except in refund to cover the holder and 2 way shipping plus the hassle involved not unreasonable given the way this has gone.  

The seller refuses to acknowledge the  poor packing job and really doesn't seem to want to make it right. If they don'the like my offer I am just going to do a cc charge back and be done with this.  To expect me to have to handle the claim is another ridiculous matter.  That burden should definitely not be on me. I just don't think they get it.  This isn't how you handle something when it goes sideways. 

Disappointing from my end but to be honest given their hesitancy to engage in conversation  I'm not surprised.

If anybody wants the sellers handle they can PM me so they can be avoided.  

Thanks

With that much damage to the slab, the book will have to be regraded, not simply reholdered. Asking you to handle the postal claim is crazy, I'm not even sure you can do it because he bought the insurance. BTW, it's pretty easy to find the seller here. Sorry this happened to you, very aggravating. 

11 hours ago, PClark99 said:

They had their chance I am dealing with credit card company now. 

So you returned the item or are planning to return it?

There's no doubt the book you bought suffered some damage and that can be frustrating however you shared the seller's response to you offering you the option of dealing with a postal claim or offering you "a little money" to re-grade/re-holder.  Most people here are going to judge this based on the difference between "a little money" & the undisclosed number you suggested that includes compensation for re-holder, shipping & "hassle" -  fyi - there's no monetary penalties enforced by PL nomination for getting "hassled" by someone.  I would also suggest that the specific dynamics of the deal be disclosed, ie - seller name, book value etc... for those who can't be bothered to look in your post history.

In order to get a true sense of where the problem lies (beyond the pics of a damaged book that appears to have been improperly packed) - it helps if people understand how we got to the sellers proposed resolution.  Where are the details of your messages?  
1. Did you initially request a solution where you get to keep the book but get a partial refund?
2. Did you simply send pics & say "what would you like to do here?"
3. Did you tell him you wanted to return it and then he came back with these possible resolutions?
The time factor is a bit irrelevant to me without knowing how the discussion was initiated - depending on your message to him the seller may have been seeking advice from others here if he's inexperienced dealing with a problem like this.

Ultimately I don't feel compensation for shipping to/from CGC for reholdering is relevant to any compensation you're seeking - if you don't submit enough to mix that book in with other submissions then that should be steering you toward insisting on a return rather than trying to renegotiate a deal that has been scuttled by damage during shipping. I believe a good seller would compensate you for shipping costs both ways on a return but I'm not fond of endorsing compensation for an "extra leg" of shipping to/from CGC if it's your preference to get a partial credit and keep the book you have in hand.

bababooey,

Thanks for giving me some things to think about. As for the rules of the board if I made a mistake it was unintentional. I definitely agree with what you are saying. Let me try to clarify some things though:

As for what $ amounts we talked about, the seller offered vague "a little money", as in no actual cash offer to start. I shot back with asking for $75 total. to cover the reholder and the two way shipping to cgc. I recognize that this number might be a little bit over but I figured it was a good starting point if the seller wanted to actually hit me up with a real number. The way things had been going to this point I didn't want to start at actual and have to haggle even more.

However, getting cash back is out the window now. People here made a lot of good point that I had not considered, as in, what if cgc sees the book and say I have to regrade it, then theres extra charges and the potential for lost value which muddies the waters even more.

I muddied the waters by even considering a partial credit, That was my mistake. Regardless I am just handling with my credit card company right now.

If the seller had been stand up right from the start, accepted that maybe they didn't package the book as well, and actually apologized for the hassle would have gone a long way to making me feel better about this. As for the time factor, being left hanging isn't a good feeling, even if it was something simple like "Hey I see there's an issue, I will get back to you after I look into it with the post office", that was all I needed. Maybe I am oversensitive but if you have the time to log into the forum, you should have the time to respond to your messages, and the seller was online several times between Tuesday and Saturday.

So my plan is to get a refund AND return the book to the seller properly packed. I will likely have to eat return shipping but that isn't a big deal in as much as the learning experience of having dealt with this situation should help me moving forward. I don't want to keep anything that I didn't pay for.

Edited by PClark99

I'll just take the opportunity to get in a few whacks at one of my favorite dead horses: Episodes like this are a reason why having a true feedback thread would be a boon to buyers.  Clearly the seller here did a lousy job of packing.  Maybe he will have learned his lesson and improve in the future or maybe not.  In any event, I would rather not roll the dice by buying from him.

Since this did not evolve into a PL case and the seller's name wasn't even mentioned in the thread, few people will ever know about this episode.

Without a true fb thread, it's the PL or nuttin'.

21 hours ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

How do you ignore a member now ?  can't find it 

Go the "Settings" tab at the upper right portion of the screen.  When you hit the drop down, you'll see "Ignored Users".  Once you click that on, it brings you to a list of users you currently have on ignore, as well as an empty entry field to type in a user name to add them to your ignore list. (thumbsu

22 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:

Go the "Settings" tab at the upper right portion of the screen.  When you hit the drop down, you'll see "Ignored Users".  Once you click that on, it brings you to a list of users you currently have on ignore, as well as an empty entry field to type in a user name to add them to your ignore list. (thumbsu

Cheers (thumbsu