• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photocopies of original pencil art

15 posts in this topic

Ok. I do not know if this qualifies as "original" art but I recently obtained a huge stack of photocopies from an inker that used to work for Marvel and DC from the 1980s to the early 1990s. Almost all the copies are from pages he inked but before he inked them he would photocopy the pencils of the original art. The question is:

a. Is there any interest in seeing the original penciled artwork BEFORE it is inked?

b. Is there any value to the photocopies?

page-1.jpg

page-2.jpg

Edited by Dogsupreme

I have seen people selling photocopies of old Jack Kirby and others' pencils on eBay, and while they didn't go for a lot of money there was some interest. But there is always interest in seeing what the original pencils look like, since that is 95% of the reason most buy their art is for the penciller. But by their nature they are "prints" or even the dreaded "production art" that is all over eBay these days and not original art, so you won't get rich off them. 

I was just curious. They were photocopies of the original and not photocopies of photocopies. Thanks for your feedback. I may sell them as a lot. Might get a buck or 2. I will post more examples. Most are interior pages.

page-5.jpg

page-1.jpg

page.jpg

page-2.jpg

page-3.jpg

page-4.jpg

Edited by Dogsupreme

I think that photocopies has interest, indeed, but its value will depend on the artist. It's not the same Greg LaRoque than Ron Frenz, for example, with all my respect for both artists. If you're going to auction them, I'd suggest to make packs with issues or artists, rather than a mix. Since it looks like it's stuff inked by Sam De la Rosa, maybe this list of his work will help you:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=4613

Jack Kirby copied his pencils on a then state of the art thermal copier which he had proudly purchased and was fascinated by.   Sometimes those copies show up on ebay and he even signed some of them.   .   I bought one once for less than a hundred and then put a snipe bid on another at nearly 400 dollars because it was adjacent to a page of original art I had.   I was shocked to see I was outbid.  So, can they have value?   Yes.   But with new copies it would be so much easier to create new copies that are indistinguishable from the original copy that I don't think the word "vintage" could be reliably ascribed to them.

17 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Ok. I do not know if this qualifies as "original" art but I recently obtained a huge stack of photocopies from an inker that used to work for Marvel and DC from the 1980s to the early 1990s. Almost all the copies are from pages he inked but before he inked them he would photocopy the pencils of the original art. The question is:

a. Is there any interest in seeing the original penciled artwork BEFORE it is inked?

b. Is there any value to the photocopies?

page-1.jpg

page-2.jpg

Have any with Hulks in them? I wouldn't mind having Tom Smith color them....

56 minutes ago, Steven Ng said:

If you could find the owners of the finished pages, then they may pay a few bucks to have a copy of the pencils. 

that's a good idea.  I would easily pay something nominal (say $5) for pencils to pages I own.

Malvin

6 hours ago, furthur said:

I got pencil copies of two complete Jimmy Olsen books by Kirby from Greg Theakston several years ago.  Would be happy to trade one for some art if anyone is interested.  Feel free to email me offline at benno119@gmail.com

I heard Greg stole the photocopies from the Kirbys. They were only leant to him for studying purposes and were not for him to sell.

RickyB

Edited by RICKYBOBBY