• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance question...Felix the Cat

67 posts in this topic

My memories of Felix come from cartoons I watched on TV in the 60's.  There was quite an interesting cast of characters.  Poindexter.  Professor and Rock Bottom.  Master Cylinder and my favorite was this kid named VAVOOM .  

Every time he opened his mouth only one word would ever come out.  A giant loud and explosive VAVOOM !!  The kid could move mountains !!   

I checked with Wiki...Felix the Cat was first appearance in Feline Follies movie (1919) then I tried to find more information about the first appearance in the comic book but it started on the comic strip in 1923. Somewhere in 1920's, the comic book featured Felix the Cat. First appearance in the comic book.

I believe these Australian books are the first comic book format editions to reprint those newspaper strips from the 20's. There may also be earlier floppy editions from the UK as the hardcover UK Annual pre-dates the Aussies. I would love to see what's inside that Annual. By the look of the early blocky "frankenstein felix," I would bet it's the same type of strips shown in this Felix comic.

On a side note, have any of you read about Pat Sulivan? What a mess!! The dude was bad drunk and raped an under-age girl. They claim he never did any work and just yelled at everyone in the studio. This is why Otto Messer claims to have created Felix, since Pat did nothing but drink.  When the cartoon studios wanted a "talkie" Felix cartoons to compete with the new sound cartoons being made, he had no interest. That's what ultimately killed Felix, who was previously one of the most popular characters in the world. I had no idea there was so much drama involved.

Edited by Davidone

28 minutes ago, Davidone said:

I believe these Australian books are the first comic book format editions to reprint the newspaper strips from the 20's. There may also be earlier floppy editions from the UK as the hardcover UK Annual pre-dates the Aussies. I would love to see what's inside that Annual. By the look of the early blocky "frankenstein felix," I would bet it's the same type of strips shown in this Felix comic.

On a side note, have any of you read about Pat Sulivan? What a mess!! The dude was bad drunk and raped an under-age girl. They claim he never did any work and just yelled at everyone in the studio. This is why Otto Messinger claims to have created Felix, since Pat did nothing but drink.  When the cartoon studios wanted a "talkie" Felix cartoons to compete with the new sound cartoons being made, he had no interest. That's what ultimately killed Felix, who was previously one of the most popular characters in the world. I had no idea there was so much drama involved.

Bummer and twisty.  It's kind of looking like Krazy Kat in that early drawings.

Edited by JollyComics

16 hours ago, JollyComics said:

So far, I would find Felix the Cat in first comic book back in 1927 by McLaughlin Bros. In same year, other Felix the Cat comic book was in German language.

The 1927 McLaughlin edition is oblong and reprints strips. Definately a platnium age creation. I've never held one so I don't know if it is hardcover or not. It doesn't resemble a modern comic, if that's what a collector is looking for in a "first appearance." However, they published a bridged edition in 1932 of the same book with only 8 strips. It's square and looks to be stapled. It looks a bit more like a modern comic. Again, they do not have original stories (if that is what one is looking for.) This is an interesting rabbit hole of books and different media. 

db2bf739f44e84bc333d2ca4d4bfe854.jpg

1236341.jpg

On 4/28/2017 at 4:37 PM, Beige said:

Felix the Cat 1927 - took a while but found on Amazon on all places.

Wonderful book, but too thick for CGC to slab.

I wonder if that's changed now with the new cases - anyone know?5903d1faa98a2_FelixTheCat1927.thumb.JPG.b0c5d0e55daf02b34d7cd6177cd825b2.JPG

This may be the first Felix book. Your listing says 1927. Here are two other listings that say 1923 and 1924. The felix site I posted above says 1924 was the first.... hmm. 

Still kind of crazy that this may be the first ever Felix book and they are currently selling for under $50 ?

20180902_121615.jpg

11 hours ago, Davidone said:

This may be the first Felix book. Your listing says 1927. Here are two other listings that say 1923 and 1924. The felix site I posted above says 1924 was the first.... hmm. 

Still kind of crazy that this may be the first ever Felix book and they are currently selling for under $50 ?

20180902_121615.jpg

This is why I like these boards.

I went and unsealed this book and guess what - it's 1924, if the inscription is to be believed.

I doubt Margaret was telling porkies to Ted!

Hopefully this has settled it.

The above book (mine) is from 1924 and most likely the first Felix.

Unless anyone else has one inscribed earlier.............

felix.thumb.jpg.aecc205b94d81197ed594c15cdc40601.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/The-Felix-Annual-Felix-The-Film-Cat-RARE-c-1920s-ID-800/232680544112?hash=item362cd75770:g:GFMAAOSw30NalU44   

Another 1920's contender?

I believe this is the 2nd one from 1925?

Edited by Beige