• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day: Defenders 89 Cover 1980

8 posts in this topic

Art Day: Defenders 89 Cover 1980

Never thought I would own this. I remember the book, forgot it was the origin of hell cat. I guess in the Netflix show this issue was the origin of the Patsy Walker storyline on ALIAS so thats kinda a cool bonus. Whats really odd is that in the tombstone it looks like "AL MIL..." is being spelled out, either as a joke or a secret "I worked on this cover" hidden Easter egg?  Whats more, Al signed the cover too along with the credited artists Nasser and Rubinstein. I should email him and ask, it has a milgrom feel to it to be sure, but his style was very marvel-y so a lot of stuff "Feels" like it (at least to my eye).  What do you guys think, he work on it?

Anyway, picked it up...yay...and its in PHENOMENAL SHAPE!!! You couldnt restore it to this nice. Ive always wanted a nice bronze age hulk cover, so Huzzah!

I normally post my pick ups in the saved thread, but hell how many bronze marvel hero covers you pick up in a year?

Posted it on CAF if you want to see there (or rest of my gallery).

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1390631&GSub=145535

Defenders3.jpg

I would have bought this! Great cover. Do you guys all have some comics that seem to lie around or always be on the top of the stack? Books that you look at regularly, disproportionately to their importance. This is one of those books, I seem to see it here at the house on a near daily basis! I inquired about a cover recreation (I think from Ron Wilson's rep) but it never happened. (I thought in my mind that it was a Buckler cover honestly.)

Congrats! Is this a one-off find, or is there a stash for sale somewhere?? Defenders was my childhood favorite for a long time, and I loved all of Nasser's work, though I think the total body of comics output was relatively minimal. I still think his Martian Manhunter is definitive.

Anyway, I digress. Congrats on an awesome cover from an underappreciated artist and an all-time great inker!  :headbang:

9 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Whats really odd is that in the tombstone it looks like "AL MIL..." is being spelled out, either as a joke or a secret "I worked on this cover" hidden Easter egg?  Whats more, Al signed the cover too along with the credited artists Nasser and Rubinstein. I should email him and ask, it has a milgrom feel to it to be sure, but his style was very marvel-y so a lot of stuff "Feels" like it (at least to my eye).  What do you guys think, he work on it?

congrats!

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Defenders_Vol_1_89 says Al Milgrom was the editor & he signed it on the bottom where an editor would sign off on a cover I think

I see him as the editor, but honestly seeing the guys name on the tombstone I was thinking maybe he did some work on it. His name is the only one on the actual art.

Side note, all the names signed at bottom are actually signed by the guys I discovered. Each is in different handwriting and Pen style...so bonus.