• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New CGC Grading Fees Effective June 1, 2017
1 1

95 posts in this topic

New CGC Grading Fees Effective June 1, 2017

CGC Announces Revised Grading Services & Fees

CGC has announced changes to its grading services and fees, effective June 1, 2017. All submissions received by CGC on or after June 1, 2017, will be processed at the new fees. These are the first comprehensive changes that CGC has made to its services and fees since January 2012.

Percentage discounts for paid CGC Collector Society Members and Authorized Dealers remain the same. CGC grading fees for other collectibles (magazines, concert posters, lobby cards, etc.) will also remain the same. There have been no changes to CCS fees.

The following changes apply to submissions of comic books received by CGC on or after June 1, 2017:

Handling Fee

• Paper & PDF Forms – Changed to $8.00 per form. As before, each grading tier must be submitted on a separate form.
  • Online Form – Remains $5.00 per tier. The online form allows customers to do multiple submissions under the same tier and pay only one handling fee. The handling fee is applied for each tier of service.
  • Signature Series  - Remains the same at $5.00 per submission form.

Grading Fees

• Modern – Fee changed to $20 per book.
  • Value – Fee changed to $27 per book. Turnaround time changed to 50 business days. Minimum submission requirement is removed.

The removal of the 15-book submission requirement makes the Value tier a more affordable option for collectors with only one book or collectors who are just learning about CGC’s grading services.

• Economy – Fee changed to $38 per book. Turnaround time changed to 35 business days.

CGC is very pleased that operational upgrades and new hires have enabled it to reduce the turnaround time for the Economy tier from 40 business days to 35 business days. We will continue to work hard to reduce our turnaround times and make other improvements to our services.

• Standard – Fee changed to $65 per book.
  • Express – Fee changed to $100 per book.
  • WalkThru – Remains 3% of FMV. Minimum fee remains at $150. Maximum fee changed to $5,000.
  • Signature Series Modern – Fee changed to $30 per book.
  • Signature Series Value – Fee changed to $32 per book. Turnaround time changed to 50 business days. Minimum submission requirement is removed.

As with the Value tier, CGC has removed the 15-book minimum submission requirement from the Signature Series Value tier to make it easier and more affordable for collectors to submit just one book to CGC.

• Signature Series Economy – Fee changed to $43 per book. Turnaround time changed to 35 business days.

CGC has matched the faster turnaround time of its Economy tier by reducing the turnaround time for Signature Series Economy by five business days.

• Signature Series Standard – Fee changed to $70 per book.
  • Signature Series Express – Fee changed to $105 per book.

If you have any questions, please contact CGC Customer Service at 1-877-NM-COMIC (662-6642) or customerservice@CGCcomics.com.

21 minutes ago, mattinglymint23 said:

Wow - pretty pricey at this point. Starting to think CGC wants to cap their volumes - 65 bucks plus all the shipping and insurance for me to get a silver age book graded not sure I'm going to rush my next stack off that fast. 

If a $2-5 per book increase is so painful, you might want to rethink some of your life choices. 

16 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I think that the increase in grading prices (more or less +$5) is due to CGC hiring more personnel to make turnaround times quicker. 

+1, they're just growing their business.  I certainly don't mind dropping an extra $5 per book to get them back in less than 3 months.  I've noticed a huge, positive change in their operations and I think its great!

I think it just reinforces that some books are not encapsulation candidates if your goal is resale. The 2-5 dollar increase does not occur in a vacuum, the increase and overall cost for those selling CGC books is set against the average valuation of the book and the era GA, SA, BA, Copper/Modern.  Hard to say if CGC has done the quantitative assessment or just wants to increase revenue.  Time will tell, there are a large section of books that are and now more so just not slabbing candidates with CGC.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Iceman399 said:

I wish they would fix the online submission forms if they are going to upcharge for using forms that actually work.

@Brittany M. 

Iceman, call me directly and we can go through any problems you may be experiencing. 1-877-662-6642 ext 250

30 minutes ago, jbud73 said:

I think it just reinforces that some books are not encapsulation candidates if your goal is resale. The 2-5 dollar increase does not occur in a vacuum, the increase and overall cost for those selling CGC books is set against the average valuation of the book and the era GA, SA, BA, Copper/Modern.  Hard to say if CGC has done the quantitative assessment or just wants to increase revenue.  Time will tell, there are a large section of books that are and now more so just not slabbing candidates with CGC.

Not directing this at you Jason.

If you are slabbing for resale only and $2 on a modern or $5 on a SA book is the difference between you making money and not making money...... you are doing it wrong. Fact is that for resale, a lot of books weren't worth the grading cost. That number of books does not significantly change with this increase.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Iceman399 said:

I'd prefer to not have to make an international call.  Link above is the exact issue.

We have a toll free number, and I would be happy to call you if that works.  A fix was put in place for this over a month ago.

4 minutes ago, Brittany M. said:

We have a toll free number, and I would be happy to call you if that works.  A fix was put in place for this over a month ago.

Fix did not fix it.

Tried calling hit your vm twice.