• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New CGC Grading Fees Effective June 1, 2017
1 1

95 posts in this topic

Well you know with that email people will be submitting a lot more books up front before the price changes over. Is it a cash infusion to the business, who knows? It's not bad sure only between $2-5 dollars per book, but when you sub between 20-40 books per con plus submitting alot of books outside of cons that ends up cost a bit more. If you submit 2-5 books, who cares...but on a 25 book limit per invoice you're talking an extra $50 bucks minimum.

So this prevents any more blue labels being dropped off at conventions since that would be a paper form. Only yellow labels at cons... okay. Less to bring with me then I guess to each convention. Online forms not the best when using Chrome but hey I can live with more hassle and time spent trying to fill out the fields the way I want to.

Now you can charge an extra $5 on any sales? and if it is a slab from the past, that's 5 extra bucks? 

idk every silver lining has a dark cloud? or the other way a'round.....

Sincerely I was worried about comics that I've already paid for/for SS and dropped off, but won't be signed or make it to CGC before June....will I have to re-pay the extra fee? for all of them even though I've already dropped them off?

Assuming this price increase comes as a direct result of more headcount at CGC strikes me as odd. No small to medium business hires more workers unless they already have the workload to put them on, and the ability to do more work in less time thanks to more hands scales their business and increases revenue. We know the real reason why CGC finally decided to focus on their TAT, we know the quantity of work has likely long been at a state where other companies with more competitive fields would have been forced to do something about it sooner.

This might just be a normal price bump, five years is a good while to go without a change.

49 minutes ago, Zacreth said:

Well you know with that email people will be submitting a lot more books up front before the price changes over. Is it a cash infusion to the business, who knows? It's not bad sure only between $2-5 dollars per book, but when you sub between 20-40 books per con plus submitting alot of books outside of cons that ends up cost a bit more. If you submit 2-5 books, who cares...but on a 25 book limit per invoice you're talking an extra $50 bucks minimum.

So this prevents any more blue labels being dropped off at conventions since that would be a paper form. Only yellow labels at cons... okay. Less to bring with me then I guess to each convention. Online forms not the best when using Chrome but hey I can live with more hassle and time spent trying to fill out the fields the way I want to.

Why? The majority of blue label submissions that get dropped off at shows come with completed paperwork - people fill out the online form, print it & bring it with them. This just rewards people for doing this (which saves a lot of time at the booth).

The big exception is shows with on-site grading where you see a ton of "spur of the moment" blue label submissions, but there's no invoice fee for on-site graded books.

Edited by mschmidt

2 hours ago, mattinglymint23 said:

Wow - pretty pricey at this point. Starting to think CGC wants to cap their volumes - 65 bucks plus all the shipping and insurance for me to get a silver age book graded not sure I'm going to rush my next stack off that fast. 

$65 is the Standard tier fee - your silver age books can also be submitted under the value or economy tier (which are a lot cheaper).

3 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

I wish they would fix the online submission forms if they are going to upcharge for using forms that actually work.

@Brittany M. 

It's a horrendously designed form. Wouldn't take much to improve it.

My issues:

1. It only enables 9.8 screening if 25 books are entered. If I have three of the same book and then 22 other individual items, it doesn't consider my total to be 25. I have to enter the same book three times in order to even see the option for 9.8 screening.

2. Only entering one book at a time is a real time waster. Maybe put up some tabable columns so someone can easily type through without a multi page process.

3. I had a list of 25 books setup but one of the variants was wrong. I clicked to edit the book and when I did so it created an entire new submission/form removing my 9.8 screening ability.

Edited by NamesJay

I have used the online submission form a few times on Google Chrome without any problems and I feel it does make it much easier to put in submissions. Someone else normally submits my prescreens for me though so I can't speak for the problems above. Hopefully CGC fixes those issues because it also must make CGC's job easier when they receive shipments of books and they don't have to try and read handwritten subs.

Just checked on the online submission form to see if it works properly on Google Chrome (for me at least).  Until now, I still can't manage to add the title of the book in the drop-down arrow when I click on it or any other section (publisher, issue #, etc.).  The only way for me to fill-out the form is to just keep using the "tab" button. And if say, I made a mistake on the issue #, I cannot even go back to that section, I'd have to tab from the beginning again and by doing that, would erase the last thing that was entered.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Such a pain in the butt.

On the other hand with IE, I am able to fill-out the form easier without any complications.  Hope the problem with Chrome can be fixed asap!

Also, another thing that I thought in the start-up page after selecting your media, I think there should be a "Pre-Screen" selection as well.  How else can we pre-screen our books if there is no selection on it?  The last submission I did, I chose the old form where I had to print and fill-out the 4 pages, writing in each section repeatedly 3x on all forms (the last form is your copy).  Again, a pain in the butt. 

2 hours ago, spidermanbeyond said:

It is going to make less sense to have a modern book graded.  Maybe people will stop grading so much modern stuff that are not worth much.

um while i'm no expert on the #'s cgc does under each teir, isn't modern subs basicly their bread & butter..........so if modern subs slow down then they lose money.  not sure about you but that sounds like a bad deal long term since 99.9% of modern stuff isn't worth it

4 hours ago, comicquant said:

+1, they're just growing their business.  I certainly don't mind dropping an extra $5 per book to get them back in less than 3 months.  I've noticed a huge, positive change in their operations and I think its great!

CGC price increase? :whee::banana::takeit::applause::headbang:(worship)

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Just checked on the online submission form to see if it works properly on Google Chrome (for me at least).  Until now, I still can't manage to add the title of the book in the drop-down arrow when I click on it or any other section (publisher, issue #, etc.).  The only way for me to fill-out the form is to just keep using the "tab" button. And if say, I made a mistake on the issue #, I cannot even go back to that section, I'd have to tab from the beginning again and by doing that, would erase the last thing that was entered.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Such a pain in the butt.

On the other hand with IE, I am able to fill-out the form easier without any complications.  Hope the problem with Chrome can be fixed asap!

Also, another thing that I thought in the start-up page after selecting your media, I think there should be a "Pre-Screen" selection as well.  How else can we pre-screen our books if there is no selection on it?  The last submission I did, I chose the old form where I had to print and fill-out the 4 pages, writing in each section repeatedly 3x on all forms (the last form is your copy).  Again, a pain in the butt. 

I spoke with Brittany...they thought they had chrome working.  I informed her otherwise and IT is supposed to be getting back to me on Monday(ish).  Glad I'm not the only one who is wanting to punch the computer trying to use their online forms.

11 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

I spoke with Brittany...they thought they had chrome working.  I informed her otherwise and IT is supposed to be getting back to me on Monday(ish).  Glad I'm not the only one who is wanting to punch the computer trying to use their online forms.

I emailed Brittany about the pressceen option a few weeks ago, she told me it was there, glad someone else brought it up

13 hours ago, Dark Prime 0 said:

um while i'm no expert on the #'s cgc does under each teir, isn't modern subs basicly their bread & butter..........so if modern subs slow down then they lose money.  not sure about you but that sounds like a bad deal long term since 99.9% of modern stuff isn't worth it

The modern tier price went up by $2 - it's crazy to think this is going to cause the number of modern subs to slow down in any way.

The online form still doesn't calculate shipping correctly when you choose to ship under your own FedEx account. I brought this up when the online forms were first rolled out and it still hasn't been fixed. When you choose to ship under your own account, it still calculates a shipping charge when it should be $0. Really hope this gets fixed before 6/1, if not sooner.

Just now, mschmidt said:

The modern tier price went up by $2 - it's crazy to think this is going to cause the number of modern subs to slow down in any way.

20 + 8 (form fee), send in 25 like i do and thats an extra 53 (that's not a small amt).........as someone pointed out they hope the useless subs slow down or stop.  that basicly kills their main source of income if they slow/stop (i know i'm useing an extreme for an example).  for myself i'll have to decide if i care about haveing this set or that set in 9.8 like i was working towards since i hardly ever sell my books, so no offseting the price in my case by selling

you're correct, but it will do something long term and i doubt it will cause people to send in more.  for my sets in all honesty they aren't worth getting slabbed to anyone but me and at 20+ per book cgc isn't getting them anymore, that's well over 200 books, add that up across the board and it equals alot of money they are now missing out on.  for myself thoes books will go to "them" instead.  personaly i will need to decide on keep/sell and only send the sell pile to cgc and out of the 1k+ books i have for possible gradeing only prob 20 or so are for selling.  if anything cgc with this price increase is ignoreing the bulk aspect of selling which seems to bring more money long term

compare that to the competition where it's 16 with no fee and they do a compareable job to CGC, personaly i will always go the route of a smaller bill.  i don't use CCS for this reason on blue label books, there are places to get the same quality job done for cheaper........................the only time i use CCS is when a book is getting SS and i don't really have a choice

lol who goes "i wish my bill was higher."  i'll put it just in case, i'm not talking about PGX when i refer to "them" and such