• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New CGC Grading Fees Effective June 1, 2017
1 1

95 posts in this topic

My issues with the form have been with Safari.

But really, I could live with the issues if they just allow multiple entries to be added instead of forcing only one entry at a time. That is the biggest drawback. Once a user enters the required fields for a book, a new line of text fields should be made visible for another book to be added.

2 hours ago, Dark Prime 0 said:

20 + 8 (form fee), send in 25 like i do and thats an extra 53 (that's not a small amt).........as someone pointed out they hope the useless subs slow down or stop.  that basicly kills their main source of income if they slow/stop (i know i'm useing an extreme for an example).  for myself i'll have to decide if i care about haveing this set or that set in 9.8 like i was working towards since i hardly ever sell my books, so no offseting the price in my case by selling

you're correct, but it will do something long term and i doubt it will cause people to send in more.  for my sets in all honesty they aren't worth getting slabbed to anyone but me and at 20+ per book cgc isn't getting them anymore, that's well over 200 books, add that up across the board and it equals alot of money they are now missing out on.  for myself thoes books will go to "them" instead.  personaly i will need to decide on keep/sell and only send the sell pile to cgc and out of the 1k+ books i have for possible gradeing only prob 20 or so are for selling.  if anything cgc with this price increase is ignoreing the bulk aspect of selling which seems to bring more money long term

compare that to the competition where it's 16 with no fee and they do a compareable job to CGC, personaly i will always go the route of a smaller bill.  i don't use CCS for this reason on blue label books, there are places to get the same quality job done for cheaper........................the only time i use CCS is when a book is getting SS and i don't really have a choice

lol who goes "i wish my bill was higher."  i'll put it just in case, i'm not talking about PGX when i refer to "them" and such

To be fair I am assuming you don't pay full CGC modern costs since you can sub books using other dealers websites for a 10% or 20% discount.  Even before I got a dealer account I atleast got 10% off my bill from eBay or other such discount websites codes.

21 hours ago, jdennis3 said:

Hopefully grader notes are being added more often now. I would like to see for 9.6's for sure and honestly for any grade excluding a 10 of course.

I don't see the point of putting grader notes for 9.8's ? It should be a near perfect book anyway. To attain a 9.9 you need above and beyond characteristics, perfect centering, perfect staple placement,razor sharp corners, etc. 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't see the point of putting grader notes for 9.8's ? It should be a near perfect book anyway. To attain a 9.9 you need above and beyond characteristics, perfect centering, perfect staple placement,razor sharp corners, etc. 

Exactly, graders notes on books 9.6 and above just slows down grading and TaT's.

Burn and turn!

2 hours ago, nWo_22 said:

To be fair I am assuming you don't pay full CGC modern costs since you can sub books using other dealers websites for a 10% or 20% discount.  Even before I got a dealer account I atleast got 10% off my bill from eBay or other such discount websites codes.

did it though wizard for yrs, then only at shows bc of that bs from fee.......my last 2 i went to my LCS and got the paper form and sent myself, i do not have a paid account and my LCS wouldn't let me sub under his bc i don't use CCS for pressing and in trun he didn't want to take a chanch on a problem ariseing and him being at fault.  i would never blame him as i'm very honest but i also can't blame him and wanting to be involved in problems that aren't of his makeing

as i posted on FB moderns run me around 750/800 per order, and 1974 and below run me close to 1k........so yes a $2 increase adds up.  again as i hardly sell those costs are not offset by anything.  lol sadly even when my orders have books to sell i tend to just sit on them for no real reason other then procrastination, and made a mistake think this current order has 4-5 books to sell out of 25 which is alot honestly when it's norm 0-2 books for sale

2 hours ago, nWo_22 said:

Exactly, graders notes on books 9.6 and above just slows down grading and TaT's.

Burn and turn!

I would like to see notes on 9.6's.  I would like to know what they believe that deduction is for.  If it's only one defect it wouldn't take too long to write that down.

20 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

I spoke with Brittany...they thought they had chrome working.  I informed her otherwise and IT is supposed to be getting back to me on Monday(ish).  Glad I'm not the only one who is wanting to punch the computer trying to use their online forms.

Cool thanks for checking in and for talking to them.  I wonder how others are able to get through to checkout on Chrome.  Really strange.  Hope we can get an answer and a fix soon!

8 hours ago, Dark Prime 0 said:

20 + 8 (form fee), send in 25 like i do and thats an extra 53 (that's not a small amt).........as someone pointed out they hope the useless subs slow down or stop.  that basicly kills their main source of income if they slow/stop (i know i'm useing an extreme for an example).  for myself i'll have to decide if i care about haveing this set or that set in 9.8 like i was working towards since i hardly ever sell my books, so no offseting the price in my case by selling

you're correct, but it will do something long term and i doubt it will cause people to send in more.  for my sets in all honesty they aren't worth getting slabbed to anyone but me and at 20+ per book cgc isn't getting them anymore, that's well over 200 books, add that up across the board and it equals alot of money they are now missing out on.  for myself thoes books will go to "them" instead.  personaly i will need to decide on keep/sell and only send the sell pile to cgc and out of the 1k+ books i have for possible gradeing only prob 20 or so are for selling.  if anything cgc with this price increase is ignoreing the bulk aspect of selling which seems to bring more money long term

compare that to the competition where it's 16 with no fee and they do a compareable job to CGC, personaly i will always go the route of a smaller bill.  i don't use CCS for this reason on blue label books, there are places to get the same quality job done for cheaper........................the only time i use CCS is when a book is getting SS and i don't really have a choice

lol who goes "i wish my bill was higher."  i'll put it just in case, i'm not talking about PGX when i refer to "them" and such

It will do nothing long term.

If you're weighing sending in a book for submission and the fact that it's going to cost you $2 more (or $1.80 with the 10% discount which is insanely easy to get) suddenly puts said book in the no column, you most likely wouldn't have subbed the book anyway.

I'd venture an educated guess and say that the vast majority of CGC's modern submissions (which is probably a majority of their entire bulk of submissions) comes from the bulk modern dealers. The fact that they're now getting regular modern submissions back within the same timeframe that modern FT submissions used to occupy is far more valuable to them than a $1.60/book price increase.

(And these guys are smart enough to fill out their paperwork beforehand so the invoice fee change doesn't affect them either.)

CGC isn't raising their prices because they're hoping that "useless subs slow down or stop" - they're raising their prices because they're getting a record number of submissions, have invested heavily in new personel and machinery, have managed to get turnaround times back on track, and, well, as the industry leader by a mile because they can.

Edited by mschmidt

1 hour ago, mschmidt said:

If you're weighing sending in a book for submission and the fact that it's going to cost you $2 more (or $1.80 with the 10% discount which is insanely easy to get) suddenly puts said book in the no column, you most likely wouldn't have subbed the book anyway.

I'd venture an educated guess and say that the vast majority of CGC's modern submissions (which is probably a majority of their entire bulk of submissions) comes from the bulk modern dealers. The fact that they're now getting regular modern submissions back within the same timeframe that modern FT submissions used to occupy is far more valuable to them than a $1.60/book price increase.

(And these guys are smart enough to fill out their paperwork beforehand so the invoice fee change doesn't affect them either.)

CGC isn't raising their prices because they're hoping that "useless subs slow down or stop" - they're raising their prices because they're getting a record number of submissions, have invested heavily in new personel and machinery, have managed to get turnaround times back on track, and, well, as the industry leader by a mile because they can.

Interesting thought.  If a lot of dealers use to pay $10 fast track fee are now going the regualr route then the $2 is a huge savings.  I wonder if a huge drop in FT submissions prompted the price increase.

30 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Interesting thought.  If a lot of dealers use to pay $10 fast track fee are now going the regualr route then the $2 is a huge savings.  I wonder if a huge drop in FT submissions prompted the price increase.

That's an interesting theory!!

I would wonder why the price increase etc, just to make it estimable of when it would happen again.......someone said on here that they haven't raised cost to sub in 5 years? is that correct?

Seems not that long ago for me, and seems most people here would have gone through this situation before......:shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 hours ago, mschmidt said:

oh not argueing the price increase itself, i can understand why it came about (i never want to see bills increased though), and as i addmitted that example of it slowing by alot or stopping altogether was an extreme example based on what someone else said.  do i actully think it will slow, yes.  by a large margin, no or not enough that the price increase will be seen as detramental

yes you're right, they are books i wouldn't norm send in depending on price of slabbing......who cares about a SiP 9.8 run except for #1, same for liberty meadows (any of them really).......80's teen titans is a maybe.  i know i'll never see a return on them but it was worth it to me, at 20+ a book it's not

what does the invoice fee matter on if it's filled out by you or them, unless it's with SS stuff i've always filled it out myself so i'm sorry but i don't see your point on this, $5 was bs and 8 is even more so

people collect and slab weird things at times.....thoes looking for the HG star books i think are insane bc who cares about strawberry shortcake, foo fur, and whatever else.  i understand why there sought after (low print run, HTF in HG) but to them it's worth it, to me i see it as gradeing useless books.  everyone has their price point, mine is 20 appearently on books for my collection

30 minutes ago, Dark Prime 0 said:

oh not argueing the price increase itself, i can understand why it came about (i never want to see bills increased though), and as i addmitted that example of it slowing by alot or stopping altogether was an extreme example based on what someone else said.  do i actully think it will slow, yes.  by a large margin, no or not enough that the price increase will be seen as detramental

yes you're right, they are books i wouldn't norm send in depending on price of slabbing......who cares about a SiP 9.8 run except for #1, same for liberty meadows (any of them really).......80's teen titans is a maybe.  i know i'll never see a return on them but it was worth it to me, at 20+ a book it's not

what does the invoice fee matter on if it's filled out by you or them, unless it's with SS stuff i've always filled it out myself so i'm sorry but i don't see your point on this, $5 was bs and 8 is even more so

people collect and slab weird things at times.....thoes looking for the HG star books i think are insane bc who cares about strawberry shortcake, foo fur, and whatever else.  i understand why there sought after (low print run, HTF in HG) but to them it's worth it, to me i see it as gradeing useless books.  everyone has their price point, mine is 20 appearently on books for my collection

Yes, everyone has their price point. If CGC increased the price of the modern tier to $40/book, I'm sure it would drastically affect the number of submissions.

Where you go wrong, however, is thinking that simply because you yourself are drawing an arbitrary line in the sand at this fairly modest price increase after 5 years, that this suddenly means everyone else will do the same. It isn't realistic to think so.

I'm not a big submitter by any means - I probably do 2-300 books with CGC every year - and I slab more than my fair share of books that are both obscure and not particularly desirable by anyone other than me. Would I prefer it that CGC's prices never changed? Yeah, of course - just like anyone else I'd like to save money wherever I can. Will a $1.60 price increase pr. book that I slab in any way affect my submission habits? Not in the slightest.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:37 PM, Dark Knight said:
  • Economy – Fee changed to $38 per book. Turnaround time changed to 35 business days.

CGC is very pleased that operational upgrades and new hires have enabled it to reduce the turnaround time for the Economy tier from 40 business days to 35 business days. We will continue to work hard to reduce our turnaround times and make other improvements to our services.

What guarantee do we have that turnaround times have been improved on an ongoing basis in order to justify this increase in grading fees.

Especially when their Economy tiers last summer and fall were nowhere close to 40 business days and really much closer to 5 months.  :censored:

15 hours ago, Dark Prime 0 said:
15 hours ago, mschmidt said:

The modern tier price went up by $2 - it's crazy to think this is going to cause the number of modern subs to slow down in any way.

...........as someone pointed out they hope the useless subs slow down or stop.  that basicly kills their main source of income if they slow/stop

There is no way in the world they want collectors to slow down or to stop sending in their worthless books to slab as that is their bread and butter or cash cow for them.  :screwy:

If they really wanted to do away with the slabbing of worthless books, they would have increase the fees for MA or SS tiers by $20 or $30 per book and that would have driven the customers away.  Of course, it makes no economic sense for any company to ever want to do away with their top product line and biggest money maker.  hm

On 4/28/2017 at 3:02 PM, mschmidt said:

Why? The majority of blue label submissions that get dropped off at shows come with completed paperwork - people fill out the online form, print it & bring it with them. This just rewards people for doing this (which saves a lot of time at the booth).

The big exception is shows with on-site grading where you see a ton of "spur of the moment" blue label submissions, but there's no invoice fee for on-site graded books.

My bad for getting notifications late and not replying quickly. If I read right it said anything with paper or PDF forms it's now $8. I do that to same time and will use the fillable pdf and drop off books to save on shipping to CGC if a convention is close since I tend to go to about 1 every month or so. Now it's an extra $3 per invoice sure but still at least I was trying to be proactive and have it all done beforehand.

Now I haven't used the online forms since it first debuted and tried to use it and like it but I kept have problems on Chrome so I said forget it. 

For the price increase I understand that over time with inflation and other reasons prices go up. It's not a big deal for people that rarely submit but I'm a modern dealer and submit many books, not as much as beachbum or others, but I have a small personal list of clients. I like to lower prices for my clients like I did last year and not raise them because it's great to be a collector and receive an email that says "Hey shipping went up but we found a method to lower prices, Enjoy!" Now with grading prices going up, shipping prices going up I know I will see a few people grade 1 less book when they have 4-5 titles a month they subscribe to for a 9.8 grading service. Especially when some titles are coming out bi-weekly.

1 hour ago, Zacreth said:

Now I haven't used the online forms since it first debuted and tried to use it and like it but I kept have problems on Chrome so I said forget it.

I'm unable to get the online submission form to work properly in Chrome and Firefox.  The only browser that it's worked for me is Internet Explorer.

Furthermore, when you do use the Online Submission form, it still says, "Beta" which says to me, not ready for prime time.

21 minutes ago, workingdog said:

I'm unable to get the online submission form to work properly in Chrome and Firefox.  The only browser that it's worked for me is Internet Explorer.

Furthermore, when you do use the Online Submission form, it still says, "Beta" which says to me, not ready for prime time.

Same with me too.  IE works just fine for it.

On 4/28/2017 at 1:42 PM, LordRahl said:

Not directing this at you Jason.

If you are slabbing for resale only and $2 on a modern or $5 on a SA book is the difference between you making money and not making money...... you are doing it wrong. Fact is that for resale, a lot of books weren't worth the grading cost. That number of books does not significantly change with this increase.

Hey direct away, what I'm saying is that from an incremental point of view the total cost of slabbing a number of BA and Modern books verses their valuation Raw starts to not make sense at a certain number. So yes the cost of $2 should not be your prime determinate and if it is then yes you are probably doing it wrong.  However slabbing of $27 and $38 per book, plus shipping both way starts to eliminate the utility of a lot of BA books not in 9.6+ that's all, or at least increases the potential for one to reconsider.

hm