• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New CGC Grading Fees Effective June 1, 2017
1 1

95 posts in this topic

Why is it $10 more to get a modern SS book done (than a non-SS) and only $5 more to have a SS book in every other tier?

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:
18 hours ago, Transplant said:

Why is it $10 more to get a modern SS book done (than a non-SS) and only $5 more to have a SS book in every other tier?

Volume? (shrug)

Wouldn't the higher volume = lower prices? Or are you saying that non-modern gets SS more often?  Cause that's not the case.  It's a rhetorical question.  The reason they charge $5 for SS modern books than non-modern is that they can and they know people will still do them. 

On 5/1/2017 at 0:10 PM, jbud73 said:
On 4/28/2017 at 1:42 PM, LordRahl said:

Not directing this at you Jason.

If you are slabbing for resale only and $2 on a modern or $5 on a SA book is the difference between you making money and not making money...... you are doing it wrong. Fact is that for resale, a lot of books weren't worth the grading cost. That number of books does not significantly change with this increase.

Hey direct away, what I'm saying is that from an incremental point of view the total cost of slabbing a number of BA and Modern books verses their valuation Raw starts to not make sense at a certain number. So yes the cost of $2 should not be your prime determinate and if it is then yes you are probably doing it wrong.  However slabbing of $27 and $38 per book, plus shipping both way starts to eliminate the utility of a lot of BA books not in 9.6+ that's all, or at least increases the potential for one to reconsider.

hm

This whole thing about slabbing common books with no real value unless in uber HG condition does not make much economic sense at all.  The only people making money on this are the grading companies and the shipping companies.  :screwy:

Especially true if you need to book to hopefully come in with a grade of 9.6 or possibly even 9.8 before you start to break even.  Good luck with playing that game, especially if you also have to throw in pressing fees in order to shoot for those grades.  I've always held to the belief that a book should always be worth at least a few hundred dollars in non-uber HG condition before it's worthwhile to even think about slabbing it.  hm

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This whole thing about slabbing common books with no real value unless in uber HG condition does not make much economic sense at all.  The only people making money on this are the grading companies and the shipping companies.  :screwy:

Especially true if you need to book to hopefully come in with a grade of 9.6 or possibly even 9.8 before you start to break even.  Good luck with playing that game, especially if you also have to throw in pressing fees in order to shoot for those grades.  I've always held to the belief that a book should always be worth at least a few hundred dollars in non-uber HG condition before it's worthwhile to even think about slabbing it.  hm

I 100% agree with this. I also don't get why some people slab books where the slabbing fee is worth more than the book. Trying to shoot for a 9.9 or 10 grade?  Guess again because more likely than not you will not get it.

7 hours ago, Transplant said:

Wouldn't the higher volume = lower prices? Or are you saying that non-modern gets SS more often?  Cause that's not the case.  It's a rhetorical question.  The reason they charge $5 for SS modern books than non-modern is that they can and they know people will still do them. 

I'm thinking they have more Modern SS, and they have to dedicate more resources to clear those out. 

Maybe we should aggregate the various glitches into one list to make it easy for them to fix? :smirk:

My biggest issue right now is that the online form does not calculate the correct shipping cost (which should be $0) when you choose the option to ship under your own FedEx account. This should be a fairly simple fix for the programmers, but it's been a problem since day one.

Edited by MadGenius

5 hours ago, MadGenius said:

Maybe we should aggregate the various glitches into one list to make it easy for them to fix? :smirk:

My biggest issue right now is that the online form does not calculate the correct shipping cost (which should be $0) when you choose the option to ship under your own FedEx account. This should be a fairly simple fix for the programmers, but it's been a problem since day one.

Maybe we could post about it in the thread CGC started asking for feedback on the new forms...oh wait...

On 5/2/2017 at 6:17 PM, Transplant said:

Because of the amount of moderns getting signed these days.

1 hour ago, grayzr said:

Because of the amount of moderns getting signed these days.

That's not an answer.  Why would higher volume = greater prices?  In most businesses, it's the exact opposite.

Edited by Transplant

32 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Am I reading this correctly?

Fast Track Value = $37

Slow Economy = $38

So you're paying a buck less for Fast Track Value but the books get done quicker?

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/

Yeah, I spotted that too.

And as it looks like both Economy and Value tiers now have a max value of $400 & there's no longer a number of a books requirement for the Value tier, I don't see a reason to ever submit anything under the regular Economy tier again (shrug)

13 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

Yeah, I spotted that too.

And as it looks like both Economy and Value tiers now have a max value of $400 & there's no longer a number of a books requirement for the Value tier, I don't see a reason to ever submit anything under the regular Economy tier again (shrug)

Am I correct in saying anything thing pre1975 HAS to be economy tier though?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Am I correct in saying anything thing pre1975 HAS to be economy tier though?

As long as the value after grading is less than $400

There's no way this isn't an oversight on CGC's side - for $400 or less pre-1975 books, you're now looking at these options:

- $48 for 18 day turnaround
- $37 for 25 day turnaround
- $38 for 35 day turnaround
- $27 for 50 day turnaround

Makes no sense.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:46 PM, Iceman399 said:

:bump: another 10 days and still no fix. :( 

No imaging option that I've found yet,so it's paper invoices and higher fees for me I guess.  No one will reply to my inquiries about it here in multiple threads now