• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found my comics worth grading

4 posts in this topic

hey guys,

I'm new to the site and just need some professional advice. I recently found my box of comics that have never been taken out of the sleeves even when I bought them. Should I get them graded? Darkhawk 1-6 and infinity gauntlet #1 and a bunch of other early 90s comics all number 1 issues. Saw recently a darkhawk #1 for $499 at a 9.8. I looked at the comics I own and there are no impurities that I can see but I'm a total novice. Please let me know. Thanks

21 hours ago, Freddykjr said:

hey guys,

I'm new to the site and just need some professional advice. I recently found my box of comics that have never been taken out of the sleeves even when I bought them. Should I get them graded? Darkhawk 1-6 and infinity gauntlet #1 and a bunch of other early 90s comics all number 1 issues. Saw recently a darkhawk #1 for $499 at a 9.8. I looked at the comics I own and there are no impurities that I can see but I'm a total novice. Please let me know. Thanks

First off, a 9.8 should be near flawless. Learn to grade your books or scan a few and list them here in the Please Grade My books thread. Secondly, regarding the Darkhawk 1 @ 499, there is a big difference between asked prices and realized prices. Grading your comics is not a cheap endeavor. Itemize your books, look them up on E-Bay under Sold listings. Take your time, do some research.  No easy button here.

On the Darkhawk #1 CGC 9.8, looks like about 30-35 copies have sold in 2017. Top end sell price has been $210, low end was $68.  Add in costs to grade, ship, insure and selling fees and your profit on top end is around  $155 and bottom end is about $18. Then you have to hope CGC sees your perfect copy as a 9.8 instead of an equally sharp 9.6. Add in that the Darkhawk movie rumors have driven up the price of Darkhawk #1, I expect prices to level down in the next few months if more news doesn't follow.

Early 90s was a bad time to be investing in comics, I'd hold off until there is a true confirmation that Darkhawk will appear in a movie.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, boomtown said:

On the Darkhawk #1 CGC 9.8, looks like about 30-35 copies have sold in 2017. Top end sell price has been $210, low end was $68.  Add in costs to grade, ship, insure and selling fees and your profit on top end is around  $155 and bottom end is about $18. Then you have to hope CGC sees your perfect copy as a 9.8 instead of an equally sharp 9.6. Add in that the Darkhawk movie rumors have driven up the price of Darkhawk #1, I expect prices to level down in the next few months if more news doesn't follow.

Early 90s was a bad time to be investing in comics, I'd hold off until there is a true confirmation that Darkhawk will appear in a movie.

Good luck.

Or slab it and flip it now, if you think the rumors are false... seems all this stemmed from the Gaurdians of the Galaxy Darkhawk Toy... he wasn't in Movie 2, but at some point it seems he will be a part of Guardians... whether it is movie 3 or in the comic or something.