• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to ship Animation Art?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

How to ship Animation Art?

I've been thinking about selling some animation art (mostly untrimmed cels with their matching drawings) on Ebay or other venues, but I have no idea how to safely ship the art.  If anyone has experience in shipping this type of art, I would be very interested how it should be done.

Also, are there other online venues to sell animation art other than Ebay?

Thank you

Shipped flat with hard backing works just fine. I've had many pieces delivered sandwiched between a mixture of cardboard/foamcore and/or masonite and never had a problem.

As for venue, ebay is the most active for animation, unless they're on the higher end, in which case Heritage or Profiles in History is probably the way to go.

Don't suppose you have any Rankin Bass Hobbit or Return of the King?? I find shipping the art is pretty easy. As we get into hotter months there may be some more concerns with a hand painted background sticking to the back of the acetate. 

I've bought several pieces of animation art and had them shipped safely flat, in between cardboard or masonite. Good point though by Cstojano about the warmer season being a potential concern.

Let us know what type of cels you have. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who collects animation cels.

On 2017-04-29 at 10:53 PM, cstojano said:

As we get into hotter months there may be some more concerns with a hand painted background sticking to the back of the acetate. 

This is an often overlooked aspect of animation cels. I bought some animation cels which arrived to me stuck to the prelim sketches, and the seller mentioned there was a remedy to "fix" this by heating up the cels. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with either the remedy, or the fact at least one piece looked like there was peel-away from a previous attempt to unstick the cel from the sketch. I understand his intent was benign, but I would recommend using some buffer between the back painted cel and any card/paper stock used to accompany the piece or for packaging. Dislcosure would be nice if the piece presented this kind of issue in the past, as my remedy involved returning the piece, and it would have been nice to know to avoid the hassle.

Edited by comicwiz

6 hours ago, comicwiz said:

This is an often overlooked aspect of animation cels. I bought some animation cels which arrived to me stuck to the prelim sketches, and the seller mentioned there was a remedy to "fix" this by heating up the cels. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with either the remedy, or the fact at least one piece looked like there was peel-away from a previous attempt to unstick the cel from the sketch. I understand his intent was benign, but I would recommend using some buffer between the back painted cel and any card/paper stock used to accompany the piece or for packaging. Dislcosure would be nice if the piece presented this kind of issue in the past, as my remedy involved returning the piece, and it would have been nice to know to avoid the hassle.

Incredibly common in my experience as well. I have tried different techniques to unstick a painted background with no luck. You can see the effects on the Van Eaton Gallery page as well.

Lobtrosity/cstojano,

I do not know what you mean to ship flat? Are you saying USPS First Class Large Rate envelope? (This is the flat I'm most used to) I ship vintage paper items to people - some First Class Large Envelope some First Class Package Rate - but the paper items are much smaller than an uncut animation cel. So I'm at a loss on how to ship the safely.

Thanks for the heads up on only to sell in the cooler months of the year!

I don't know what masonite is. I think I might have used some old foamcore, someone gave me, while mailing paper items - but only used a single board when mailing those. Where does someone buy these type of things does the local Staples or Office Max have them? Or do I have to find some type of artist store. Also how thick of cardboard should I use?

Do they make polybags for cells? Not sure what to place them in before packaging them up.

comicwhiz,

What do you use as a buffer between the cell and drawing?

cstajano/fsumavilla,

My goal of this post so I can figure out how to ship the animation art and what my costs are to do it.  I'm not ready to sell the art just yet and since the warmer months are here at the earliest time would be at the end of the year.

On 2017-05-04 at 2:33 AM, Vintage_Paper said:

comicwiz,

What do you use as a buffer between the cell and drawing?

Something with releasse (i.e. non-stick) properties, like parchment/wax paper used for baking should be fine. Just make sure you place the painted side of the cel on the coated side of the paper - it happens that sometimes release paper is coated just on one side.

Edited by comicwiz