• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st superhero team-up. All Star 4, Marvel 17 or something else?

8 posts in this topic

In a discussion about superhero team-ups in films the question arose of which team-up marked the first in comics.   I knew that MMC 8 was the first meeting of superheroes, but that was a fight, not a team-up.  And I knew that All Star 3 was the first meeting of a superhero team, but their first fight didn't occur until the next issue.   Then I remember Marvel Mystery 17 in which the Torch and Sub-mariner actually teamed up to fight together (in a story with the Japanese attacking the US forces.... in Alaska).    The dates on the marvel and the all star would seem to be close, and maybe somebody here knows them exactly.   And perhaps beyond that maybe someone here knows of an issue between then and the marvel 8-9 story which finds two or more heroes actually fighting as a team.  

Edited by bluechip

20 hours ago, bluechip said:

In a discussion about superhero team-ups in films the question arose of which team-up marked the first in comics.   I knew that MMC 8 was the first meeting of superheroes, but that was a fight, not a team-up.  And I knew that All Star 3 was the first meeting of a superhero team, but their first fight didn't occur until the next issue.   Then I remember Marvel Mystery 17 in which the Torch and Sub-mariner actually teamed up to fight together (in a story with the Japanese attacking the US forces.... in Alaska).    The dates on the marvel and the all star would seem to be close, and maybe somebody here knows them exactly.   And perhaps beyond that maybe someone here knows of an issue between then and the marvel 8-9 story which finds two or more heroes actually fighting as a team.  

The Capt Marvel/Bulletman team-up in Master 21 is dated dec '41. That's at least in the first wave mix.

2 hours ago, telerites said:

I assume stories from Greek mythology are not what you're looking for (:

Shield and Wizard were together in Top-Notch #7 in August, 1940.

That would predate the others, then, 'cause they were dated March '41 and probably published in December '40.    So I guess the best that MMC 17 and All Star 4 can claim is that they are the first team-ups of heroes that people today might recognize.

Speed Comics #23 (October 1942, Harvey Comics) had at least four superheroes team-up, which I think was the first time a full-length superhero team-up this big had happened. I don’t think the Justice Society had even done something like this by that point.

Art by Arturo Cazeneuve.

33.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

26 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Speed Comics #23 (October 1942, Harvey Comics) had at least four superheroes team-up, which I think was the first time a full-length superhero team-up this big had happened. I don’t think the Justice Society had even done something like this by that point.

Art by Arturo Cazeneuve.

33.jpg

This is SOOOOOO Bad@$$

10 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

This is SOOOOOO Bad@$$

And arguably not quite superheroes, but there seemed to be more women on that team than men as well, as War Nurse led her own team of ladies called the Girl Commandos, which formed in the same issue.

19.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro