• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nothing like going through your collection and finding...

8 posts in this topic

...restoration. Ugh. Actually, I'll look on the positive side and say that I can spot better now than 20 years ago. And most of it is due to the Boards.

So, I've been upgrading to Mylite2's and Full Backs (Thanks to Greggy!) I love how they look. As I'm changing out some older books, I've discovered some that I was off on my initial grading from decades ago. Some have gone up a bit and others down. On average, if I pegged it as "Good" back in the day, I was overly harsh. But some that I thought were "Mint" (I'm dating myself based on old Overstreets. LOL) are not NM- 9.2. I Just pulled out a Conan #17. Back in the mid-90's I bought it as a NM- 9.2, probably at Motor City Comic Con. Shame on me for not looking at the inside front cover. I may have noticed some black ink bleeding through. Can you say Sharpie? Ah well, it's on my "upgrade" list now.

Thanks to years of being here, I'm better at grading now than when I was 20+ years ago.

38 minutes ago, Shadow said:

...restoration. Ugh. Actually, I'll look on the positive side and say that I can spot better now than 20 years ago. And most of it is due to the Boards.

So, I've been upgrading to Mylite2's and Full Backs (Thanks to Greggy!) I love how they look. As I'm changing out some older books, I've discovered some that I was off on my initial grading from decades ago. Some have gone up a bit and others down. On average, if I pegged it as "Good" back in the day, I was overly harsh. But some that I thought were "Mint" (I'm dating myself based on old Overstreets. LOL) are not NM- 9.2. I Just pulled out a Conan #17. Back in the mid-90's I bought it as a NM- 9.2, probably at Motor City Comic Con. Shame on me for not looking at the inside front cover. I may have noticed some black ink bleeding through. Can you say Sharpie? Ah well, it's on my "upgrade" list now.

Thanks to years of being here, I'm better at grading now than when I was 20+ years ago.

I know resto sucks ! i have gotten just one or two PLOD back from a submission but i think i have just been lucky I will be at the Motor city comic con this year , always some great dealers ! not too bad cosplay wise yet , nice celebrities every year (Barbara Eden this year ! she must be 90??)

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

I know resto sucks ! i have gotten just one or two PLOD back from a submission but i think i have just been lucky I will be at the Motor city comic con this year , always some great dealers ! not too bad cosplay wise yet , nice celebrities every year (Barbara Eden this year ! she must be 90??)

Barbara Eden (born August 23, 1931 - hope she makes it to her 90s though

It is fun to go back and look at your books with fresh eyes and additional knowledge acquired from the boards. Recently found some Mark Jewelers inserts that I had no idea what they were back in the day - or at least never noticed them. Grading is also subjectively different as the books and I get older.

Off topic, but are you the guy who painted the Legion print I bought off someone here a few years back.  If so, you might like to know it's hanging next to a Schomburg original recreation and doesn't look out of place .

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Off topic, but are you the guy who painted the Legion print I bought off someone here a few years back.  If so, you might like to know it's hanging next to a Schomburg original recreation and doesn't look out of place .

Good chance it was me as I did a Legion print in 2014. The original is framed on a wall in the basement. Glad you like it! (If it was me, and even if it wasn't. LOL)