• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share Your Short Stuff - Digests, Half-sized, and Other Smaller Than Normal Golden Age Comics
2 2

115 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, BOOT said:

This is a scarce WWII giveaway with Ripley's type features on war heroes...

1americanheroes1.jpg.e420f8058713e2065b49174c90321c10.jpg

1americanheroes2.jpg.4cb1f81e6e16f1459a5f0f4a4ec9b2a2.jpg.

1americanheroes3.thumb.jpg.aac96e976d2d89edad274c8316446439.jpg

1americanheroes4.thumb.jpg.f09da87217b1c8c397ac2b6bcd7515c5.jpg

I just watched a short programme on Ripley and they stated he focused mainly on war heros during this time.Could some of these be his?Also,with the Untouchables give aways,could the different companies(Topps,Leaf) be because of different market distro., ie Canadian editions?

and thanks for sharing as always.

49 minutes ago, BOOT said:

Do you know what would indicate it was uncensored?

Sorry, I mistook it for the "Is this tomorrow" B&W advance copy, while I see this is a B&W version of "This Godless Communism" from Treasure Chest (which should be from publisher Geo F. Plaum, not the Guild as you stated).

The advance copy of "Is this tomorrow" should have persecution and torture scenes involving bishops.

12 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I just watched a short programme on Ripley and they stated he focused mainly on war heros during this time.Could some of these be his?

Looks like an artist's signature "Clem Boddington" in the bottom of some strips...

7 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Sorry, I mistook it for the "Is this tomorrow" B&W advance copy, while I see this is a B&W version of "This Godless Communism" from Treasure Chest (which should be from publisher Geo F. Plaum, not the Guild as you stated).

The advance copy of "Is this tomorrow" should have persecution and torture scenes involving bishops.

Thanks for the correction. Fixed the original post.

1 hour ago, BOOT said:
On 5/4/2017 at 8:31 AM, vaillant said:

Is this the uncensored version? The one in black and white which was printed as an "advance" copy?
I would love to have good quality scans of that one!

Do you know what would indicate it was uncensored?

Did the Guild also publish Treasure Chest, in which This Godless Communism appeared?  I didn't realize that.

I remember when I was about 9, a neighbor said they would give me a stack of comic books. I was very excited until I was handed a half dozen Treasure Chests. I still read them, because, free comics!, but I recall thinking who would buy this junk when there were real comics to be had. Unfortunately this was after the Godless Communism series, which might have made it worthwhile. I can't recall the stories anymore, except there was one about kids who raced slot cars, but they struck me as all kind of pointless.

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

I remember when I was about 9, a neighbor said they would give me a stack of comic books. I was very excited until I was handed a half dozen Treasure Chests. I still read them, because, free comics!, but I recall thinking who would buy this junk when there were real comics to be had. Unfortunately this was after the Godless Communism series, which might have made it worthwhile. I can't recall the stories anymore, except there was one about kids who raced slot cars, but they struck me as all kind of pointless.

The stories on Treasure Chest are pretty much varied, some are excellent. Probably the worry about being pedagogic while entertaining hindered a bit the scope the publication could have had. Topix, at least at the beginning, with which I have a bit of familiarity, at least did not risk this: they ran mostly lives of saints, of varying artistic quality, so a kid knew he/she was reading a biography and not a work of fiction, which he would have expected as more fantastic and entertaining (not that well done biographies can be entertaining, but you get the point).
So I don’t think it doesn’t come as a surprise that often the most accomplished Treasure Chest features are, indeed, of biographic nature.

This excessive worry about being pedagogic while entertaining was happily and mostly avoided here in Italy where A.V.E., an emanation of italian Catholic Action, started in 1937 one of the most original pre-war comics journals, Il Vittorioso, gambling on the idea of having it fully realized by italian authors. Its very first issue, albeit crude, contained a science fiction story, an (illustrated) text story set in muslim Africa, and the happiest "response" to Disney "funny animals" in rural Italy: Sebastiano Craveri's wonderful feature "Zoo Family". :)

Edited by vaillant

On 4/5/2017 at 8:54 AM, BOOT said:

Great comic! Here is a later mini ashcan from Pflaum's Treasure Chest for This Godless Communism...

1commieprototype.jpg.a17e5e9c2cec172cb859cae0505b5628.jpg

I just noticed the quoted posts on the new boards do not reflect editing on the original post (like BOOT did here).
Wouldn’t them be mirroring the changes with the old software? o.O