• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Warren Pubs Key/Scarce "Hit List"
5 5

232 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, wombat said:

Both pickups from board sales, right?

It's kind of funny. I see some sales threads and I guess what books NerV is going to claim.  

Yes sir. The Vampi #3 was an impulse buy. I have 6 dogs at home now so no way I wasn’t going to buy something from Solar Boy.

The Vampi special was a bit lower grade than I was looking at but white pages and great price were hard to beat.

Edited by N e r V

43 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Just wanted to update this cool thread, and put another 2c on the table.

As I go through completing my Warren Eerie run I'm finding out that its actually quite tough to find Eeries in high grade numbered in the 20's . 22,23,25,29 are the toughest. Oh yes you might find them, but high grade is a whole different animal.

Here I thought 17 was going to be the white elephant,  but #23 took me over 2 years. 

#22 was brutal in finding a clean white cover with no creases, or spine ticks that move to the back of the book.

And forget it #25 is insanely tough, still looking for that one.

The #25 has been elusive, to say the least. I've found a couple of nice copies over the years, but it's pretty ridiculous how pricey it is these days...  

On 11/24/2019 at 9:59 AM, The Lions Den said:

The #25 has been elusive, to say the least. I've found a couple of nice copies over the years, but it's pretty ridiculous how pricey it is these days...  

So if the lone CGC 9.8 #25 was up for sale, how much would it go for?

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

That's a good question. 

I can tell you that an uncertified copy which was graded 9.2 recently sold for almost $272... 

It is interesting.  I don't think that most magazine collectors are number chasers which is a little surprising as 9.8s in magazines are considerably harder to come by than they are in smaller size comics.  My guess is that a 9.8 ("single highest graded" is a bit precarious in an era of manufactured grades) would go for around $700-$800.  But that is completely a guess.  It could be hundreds less or hundreds more.  I think people are only just beginning to catch on to which issues are super cool, which are very tough in high grade and which are worth top tier prices.

54 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

It is interesting.  I don't think that most magazine collectors are number chasers which is a little surprising as 9.8s in magazines are considerably harder to come by than they are in smaller size comics.  My guess is that a 9.8 ("single highest graded" is a bit precarious in an era of manufactured grades) would go for around $700-$800.  But that is completely a guess.  It could be hundreds less or hundreds more.  I think people are only just beginning to catch on to which issues are super cool, which are very tough in high grade and which are worth top tier prices.

The lone Eerie #25 CGC 9.8 WP (Don/Maggie Thompson Collection) sold for $448.13 on Heritage (including buyer's premium) in May, 2014.

The next highest grade on the census is 9.4.

Edited by icefires

On 11/26/2019 at 6:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Here is a question for the group.  What are the key Warrens in mid-grade as opposed to high-grade?  

I’m not a guy that needs a perfect copy, just one that looks decent, say FN-VF for most books.  Obviously I get the best copy I can find at a price I’m comfortable with, but mostly I just want a decent looking copy.

I feel like the Vampi Frazetta covers are really the must own books in the run for me.  What are the others you would buy in FN condition first if you didn’t have them?  Certainly there are covers I like a lot - are there books you feel must be owned for the content within them?

On 11/26/2019 at 3:38 PM, The Lions Den said:

That's a good question. 

I can tell you that an uncertified copy which was graded 9.2 recently sold for almost $272... 

At the risk of showing off (yep!), this is my copy of 25.  It did take a while to locate.  I remember looking out for it early on as I really liked the cover.

116045717_Eerie25.thumb.jpg.54dd417aabea8b07e728af56928c8638.jpg

Edited by chevalmeow
neat it up

On 11/27/2019 at 2:06 AM, Taylor G said:

The first range (the "Dark Age") was when Warren's revival of EC stalled

That's interesting I've always wondered what issues had this mini revival as they would be the only magazines I would be interested in getting, also I'm not fussy on the condition ask the wife!:roflmao: Please wait a mo while I dislodge this damn Axe from my head...That does it  now I have a splitting headache.:makepoint:  (thumbsuCan anyone let me know the titles and numbers please.

On 5/1/2017 at 1:15 PM, N e r V said:

I'm in 100% agreement with you there. I met these are the books I see as either most challenging, expensive or "must have" in my collection so they get top billing in my searches before looking downward to everything else I want.

I'm just wondering if I missed something that maybe should also be on my radar?

Why are no issues of Wildest Westerns on your list? Do you have them all?

Wild%20West%203_zpskkfdy3l2.jpg?t=157508

WW4_zpsvazykbpw.jpg?t=1575085903

http://monstermagazinegalleries.blogspot.com/2010/03/wilest-westerns.html

They're not widely seen yet they contain a lot of fabulous artwork.

???

Edited by Hepcat

18 hours ago, tv horror said:

That's interesting I've always wondered what issues had this mini revival as they would be the only magazines I would be interested in getting.... Can anyone let me know the titles and numbers please.

I think Taylor G is implying that Warren's "mini-revival of EC" took place in the issues below and then stalled for ten or eleven issues:

Creepy 1-17

Eerie 2-12

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

4 hours ago, Hepcat said:

I think Taylor G is implying that Warren's "mini-revival of EC" took place in these issues and then stalled for ten or eleven issues:

Creepy 1-17

Eerie 2-12

(shrug)

Thank you Hep I think I'll get them in the collected volumes, all the best.(thumbsu

17 hours ago, Hepcat said:

Why are no issues of Wildest Westerns on your list? Do you have them all?

Wild%20West%203_zpskkfdy3l2.jpg?t=157508

WW4_zpsvazykbpw.jpg?t=1575085903

http://monstermagazinegalleries.blogspot.com/2010/03/wilest-westerns.html

They're not widely seen yet they contain a lot of fabulous artwork.

???

Nope. With a few exceptions I haven’t ventured far into most westerns comics or magazines. Same with a lot of war stuff. Strange too because I do watch a whole lot of westerns and war movies so go figure...

My hit list is a few years old and now pretty out of date anyway since I’ve acquired or reacquired as the case may be a number of those on my original list. Also upgraded some.

Maybe in 2020 I’ll post a new list with some new “hit list” goals. 

Either way glad you posted Hepcat. Missed seeing you over here since I rarely post on the MarvelMasterworks boards these days. Besides your great condition DC comics I miss seeing all those really cool model kits and stuff you have.