• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Warren Pubs Key/Scarce "Hit List"
5 5

232 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

That's a sweet looking book!  :golfclap:

19 hours ago, chevalmeow said:

At the risk of showing off (yep!), this is my copy of 25.  It did take a while to locate.  I remember looking out for it early on as I really liked the cover.

116045717_Eerie25.thumb.jpg.54dd417aabea8b07e728af56928c8638.jpg

I have a couple of these now. I think both were bought as VF’s. It’s one of my favorite covers in the run and one day I’d like to retire from looking for higher grade copies and get a 9.0/9.2 to slab.

17 hours ago, N e r V said:

Nope. With a few exceptions I haven’t ventured far into most westerns comics or magazines. Same with a lot of war stuff. Strange too because I do watch a whole lot of westerns and war movies so go figure...

Yes, but they're Warrens, not often seen and there are only six of them so going after them wouldn't be a herculean task.

Either way glad you posted Hepcat. Missed seeing you over here since I rarely post on the MarvelMasterworks boards these days. Besides your great condition DC comics I miss seeing all those really cool model kits and stuff you have.

You'll find me making similar posts in this thread over in Comics General:

;)

Edited by Hepcat

8 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

Yes, but they're Warrens, not often seen and there are only six of them so going after them wouldn't be a herculean task.

You'll find me making similar posts in this thread over in Comics General:

;)

• One of my favourite spots.Good board memories there :smile:

On 11/30/2019 at 11:01 AM, Hamlet said:

I feel like the Vampi Frazetta covers are really the must own books in the run for me.  What are the others you would buy in FN condition first if you didn’t have them?  Certainly there are covers I like a lot - are there books you feel must be owned for the content within them?

I've been focusing on Vampi Warrens these last few months, ideally in 9.2 or better, although with some exceptions I will drop to 9.0 or even 8.5 if the cover otherwise has exceptional eye appeal.  I think they are incredibly undervalued for the stunning covers and interior artwork they bring.  All it takes is Netflix or some other streaming service announcing a Vampirella TV series, and then the train has left the station.  But to answer your question, if I were to buy Vampis in FN condition if I didn't have them, I would say the following (excluding #1):  19, 27, 30, 36, 46, 51 (my favorite of the bunch (a San Julian masterpiece)), 56, 58, 63, 89, 92. Most of these covers are by Enrich, and they are just breathtaking to look at, especially if you have the book in a clean Mylite.  Also, with some persistence you can find, at relatively cheap prices, copies with a 7.5ish technical grade but nice gloss that they present like 9.0s. 

Now, you want to see something really cool that knocks your socks off?  Go to the 14:10 mark of this video on Jose 'Pepe' Gonzalez and the rest of the Warren Spaniard artists ... The live models inspired the covers for 29, 30, 57, 110.

Edited by zosocane

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

I've been focusing on Vampi Warrens these last few months, ideally in 9.2 or better, although with some exceptions I will drop to 9.0 or even 8.5 if the cover otherwise has exceptional eye appeal.  I think they are incredibly undervalued for the stunning covers and interior artwork they bring.  All it takes is Netflix or some other streaming service announcing a Vampirella TV series, and then the train has left the station.  But to answer your question, if I were to buy Vampis in FN condition if I didn't have them, I would say the following (excluding #1):  19, 27, 30, 36, 46, 51 (my favorite of the bunch (a San Julian masterpiece)), 56, 58, 63, 89, 92. Most of these covers are by Enrich, and they are just breathtaking to look at, especially if you have the book in a clean Mylite.  Also, with some persistence you can find, at relatively cheap prices, copies with a 7.5ish technical grade but nice gloss that they present like 9.0s. 

Now, you want to see something really cool that knocks your socks off?  Go to the 14:10 mark of this video on Jose 'Pepe' Gonzalez and the rest of the Warren Spaniard artists ... The live models inspired the covers for 29, 30, 57, 110.

This is an awesome video!  I highly recommend watching the entire thing.  Thanks for posting!!:applause:

3 hours ago, Taylor G said:

vampi12.jpg.8a3d8600f54e58ca22992cea40c79f62.jpg

In terms of "key" issues, I'm surprised Vampirella #12 is not on your list.

I struggled coming up with my list.  I ignored personal preferences, and listed only covers where Vampi appears -- this is her mag, not the mag of a caveman or Egyptian princess, as wonderful and iconic as those non-Vampirella covers are.  #12 -- like #16 -- I almost listed, but ultimately, we really don't see her face.  #35 is a personal (top 4?) favorite of mine, but she's not in her classic red suit, so I can see why that's not a top cover for most.  You know which one I really love?  41, where she is clutching the tombstone in obvious fear of something.  (This one had to be inspired from a photo of a live model.). But, again, I avoided personal favs.

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

I struggled coming up with my list.  I ignored personal preferences, and listed only covers where Vampi appears -- this is her mag, not the mag of a caveman or Egyptian princess, as wonderful and iconic as those non-Vampirella covers are.  #12 -- like #16 -- I almost listed, but ultimately, we really don't see her face.  #35 is a personal (top 4?) favorite of mine, but she's not in her classic red suit, so I can see why that's not a top cover for most.  You know which one I really love?  41, where she is clutching the tombstone in obvious fear of something.  (This one had to be inspired from a photo of a live model.). But, again, I avoided personal favs.

It's so very hard for me. I have a complete run of Vampirella for a reason. I love em all.

How can you not love Frazetta and Sanjulian covers all of em are gold.

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Of course #1 . I thought zoso wrote with the exception of #1.

You’re absolutely correct.  Believe it or not, I continually set aside #1 in such considerations because it’s such a killer, iconic cover.  It seems funny to me to elevate #12 or even #7 (as much as I love that cover) to equal status.  I end up having to remind myself that #1 is probably the undisputed heavyweight champion of all Vampirella covers.

But I’m with you, I love just about every Vampirella cover, especially the first 60 issues.  Probably the only cover I’m not a big fan of is #84.  (thumbsu

20 hours ago, zosocane said:

I've been focusing on Vampi Warrens these last few months, ideally in 9.2 or better, although with some exceptions I will drop to 9.0 or even 8.5 if the cover otherwise has exceptional eye appeal.  I think they are incredibly undervalued for the stunning covers and interior artwork they bring. 

This is one of the most enjoyable runs to collect in all of my years of comic and magazine collecting.  And not as easy as it may seem.  There are certain issues that are legitimately difficult in 9.2 or better!  And I think the interiors are so commonly underrated.  I have absolutely no interest in selling my Vampirellas and there aren’t many comics I can say that about.

40 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

You’re absolutely correct.  Believe it or not, I continually set aside #1 in such considerations because it’s such a killer, iconic cover.  It seems funny to me to elevate #12 or even #7 (as much as I love that cover) to equal status.  I end up having to remind myself that #1 is probably the undisputed heavyweight champion of all Vampirella covers.

But I’m with you, I love just about every Vampirella cover, especially the first 60 issues.  Probably the only cover I’m not a big fan of is #84.  (thumbsu

Right! Vampirella #1 is the pinnacle for Vampirella bar none.

Thanks for sharing!  I knew that the pictures of Toutain were used for this cover, and actually there are a few others as well. Enric is a model in a number of his own paintings.  What shocked me on this was the amount of bad blood between some of the people. I don’t recall having read much of that before. Certainly about some of the other things brought up though. 

it was great to see the building. Ironically, I’m fairly certain I walked right past it when I was in Barcelona three years ago. I had taken pictures of the statue in the street. 

Edited by Stevemmg

18 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

Thanks for sharing!  I knew that the pictures of Toutain were used for this cover, and actually there are a few others as well. Enric is a model in a number of his own paintings.  

What is amazing is to see the photographs which show that Toutain modeled not just as the doctor with the hypodermic needle in the background, but also as the "two" Nosferatus on the opposite side of the woman model.  Enrich basically amalgamated 3 photos of Toutain to make one classic horror painting. BTW, she is also the cover model for Vampi #52 and #53 -- and likely other covers as well.

Edited by zosocane

On 1/22/2020 at 1:37 PM, zosocane said:

What is amazing is to see the photographs which show that Toutain modeled not just as the doctor with the hypodermic needle in the background, but also as the "two" Nosferatus on the opposite side of the woman model.  Enrich basically amalgamated 3 photos of Toutain to make one classic horror painting. BTW, she is also the cover model for Vampi #52 and #53 -- and likely other covers as well.

And here is a recent pick-up, the original publisher's layout of Vampi 56 from Warren Publishing with the logo, Vampi box, etc all pasted on.  Before the digital age when layouts were done with cut-outs and paste-ons.

s-l1600.jpg