• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Warren Pubs Key/Scarce "Hit List"
5 5

232 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I have a question I’d like to ask of some of the more knowledge collectors here. If I’m correct Creepy #32, Eerie #17 and Vampirella #3 are all known as scarce or harder to get than others. I remember someone noting that these where among the first to sell out in Warren’s back issue ads from the magazines. All bring a premium especially in grade. 

My question is do they actually deserve the premium based on actual scarcity or is it assumed scarcity going back to Overstreet listing them as such?

I was thinking about this recently when someone on the boards asked about Conan #3 really being that much harder to find.

My own experience is I have zero problem finding copies of any of those 3 Warren issues I listed just like Conan #3 in grade. Nada. I can actually say it’s been more difficult finding a number of other books. The prices for those 3 are all over the place too. Given that the magazine market moves a lot slower with sales vs comics values the main reason I haven’t been jumping up and down to get copies right away is that (to me) there are much harder books to find even if they don’t have the same high and really great fluctuations in prices.

I love all 3 books covers but I’m just not seeing they are that hard to find in grade.

You are correct on all counts. I find that Vampirella #3 is pretty common these days, even in high grade. I think Creepy #32 and Eerie #17 are tougher to find in high grade, but they're still pretty common in mid to low grade. I find that some of the other issues of all 3 titles are tougher to find in high grade, especially the ones with excellent Sanjulian or Enrich covers...

42 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

You are correct on all counts. I find that Vampirella #3 is pretty common these days, even in high grade. I think Creepy #32 and Eerie #17 are tougher to find in high grade, but they're still pretty common in mid to low grade. I find that some of the other issues of all 3 titles are tougher to find in high grade, especially the ones with excellent Sanjulian or Enrich covers...

I just completed my Creepy run,  and I found that 19,29, 38- 42 were very hard to come by in grade. Later issues in the run as well.

13 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I just completed my Creepy run,  and I found that 19,29, 38- 42 were very hard to come by in grade. Later issues in the run as well.

That's nice to know for future reference! Congratulations! :golfclap:

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

How do you or anyone else for that matter feel about Eerie #23? I still haven’t upgraded to a copy in the 8.0 to 9.0 range which I want to do because it’s easily one of my favourite Warren covers but I just don’t see them offered very often. I can find Eerie #17 or Vampi #3 several times over in those grades before ever seeing a #23 in 7.5 or above. 

I’m guessing it’s not scarce just super popular to collectors.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

I have this. Very nice book. 

Image result for art of vampirella warren years

Likewise, my best friend gave it to me.  It’s an awesome collection of the original paintings for each cover.  Includes a little backstory for each one.  Every Vampirella collector should have one.

3 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Likewise, my best friend gave it to me.  It’s an awesome collection of the original paintings for each cover.  Includes a little backstory for each one.  Every Vampirella collector should have one.

Is this reproductions of the original covers or the original paintings without logos or both? I saw one at comic con but  was in to big a hurry to look or ask at the time.

Edited by N e r V

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

Is this reproductions of the original covers or the original paintings without logos or both? I saw one at comic con but  was in to big a hurry to look or ask at the time.

It’s the paintings without logos and a couple of unused ones if I recall correctly.

20 minutes ago, N e r V said:

How do you or anyone else for that matter feel about Eerie #23? I still haven’t upgraded to a copy in the 8.0 to 9.0 range which I want to do because it’s easily one of my favourite Warren covers but I just don’t see them offered very often. I can find Eerie #17 or Vampi #3 several times over in those grades before ever seeing a #23 in 7.5 or above. 

I’m guessing it’s not scarce just super popular to collectors.

For one an Eerie 23 is a dark cover so spine ticks come across very easily, but most of all it's a Frazetta cover that's highly sought after.

9 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Awesome book. I gotta get me one.:applause:

Yeah. The fact they got both the original cover and painting makes it desirable now...

As long as we are talking about books, I highly recommend the Frazetta Definitive Reference and the Warren Companion. I'm constantly looking through these. 

BOOKfrazetta.jpg

Image result for warren companion

Edited by wombat