• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Only 2 on the census. First Suzie.

image.jpeg

Great book!  How many of these MLJ mixed super hero and humor covers were there -- ones where the hero and humorous character actually interact?  I'm thinking at least six or seven. hm

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Great book!  How many of these MLJ mixed super hero and humor covers were there -- ones where the hero and humorous character actually interact?  I'm thinking at least six or seven. hm

Thanks T.

Well remember, there were a few Pep Shield and Archie mash up covers, a few on the later end of the Zip run too, and from this issue on the Black Hood mixed it up with humor characters on the cover. Probably more like 12 to 15, but a glance at a gerber could confirm. 

Always makes me wonder what if MLJ had hung in there longer with the heroes what could have been. 

1 minute ago, sagii said:
15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Thanks T.

Well remember, there were a few Pep Shield and Archie mash up covers, a few on the later end of the Zip run too, and from this issue on the Black Hood mixed it up with humor characters on the cover. Probably more like 12 to 15, but a glance at a gerber could confirm. 

Always makes me wonder what if MLJ had hung in there longer with the heroes what could have been.

Be interesting to have a list -- and you're just the man to compile it! :)

I'm trying to think of instances where other publishers did this.  Were there any? hm

36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Be interesting to have a list -- and you're just the man to compile it! :)

I'm trying to think of instances where other publishers did this.  Were there any? hm

@Sqeggs Okay sir:

Pep Comics (11 covers) #36, then consecutively #41 thru #50

Top-Notch (11 covers) #28 thru #34, also #'s 36, 41, 42, 43 (there were covers between that showcased the humor characters without the Black Hood so I didn't count those).

Zip Comics (4 covers) #36 thru #39

26 in all ( I was maybe a little off :D )

Can't think of any other publishers that did this at this moment. 

1 hour ago, sagii said:

@Sqeggs Okay sir:

Pep Comics (11 covers) #36, then consecutively #41 thru #50

Top-Notch (11 covers) #28 thru #34, also #'s 36, 41, 42, 43 (there were covers between that showcased the humor characters without the Black Hood so I didn't count those).

Zip Comics (4 covers) #36 thru #39

26 in all ( I was maybe a little off :D )

Can't think of any other publishers that did this at this moment. 

Excellent work!  

One rough equivalent that occurs to me is More Fun 103, 104, and 106, which feature Green Arrow (103) and Superboy (104 and 106) on the covers with Dover and Clover.