• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2018 at 1:03 AM, sacentaur said:
On 7/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, rtsunlimited said:

Annoyed that someone in the chain monkeyed with them (most likely Mark Wilson?)

Yup, an infamous tool.

Does anyone know if Berk knew that they had been worked on when he bought them?  I think some (many?) of Berk's books in the CC auction were newly graded for the auction. 

10 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
20 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

_62447895_frescopic.gif

Worst restoration ever.

The story behind this is incredible - sad on different levels - not only a ruined piece of fine art but because of what happened and who did - I remember reading it when it happened.

If you haven't read or remember - https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/world/europe/botched-restoration-of-ecce--fresco-shocks-spain.html

16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Does anyone know if Berk knew that they had been worked on when he bought them?  

I spoke with Jon about this, and initially no he did not. We got into a disagreement over a handful of pre-hero New Adventures that he had obtained from Mark Wilson - I returned a book to Jon, telling him that it was aqueous cleaned and would get a purple label from CGC, but he disagreed. Later he submitted them, and they came back PLOD.

Against all convention, Wilson did not consider some of the work he did as "restoration", but of course that came to haunt him as his reputation went down the toilet (and deservedly so).

Berk made peace regarding the shenanigans of others; I don't think it factored at all in his decision to sell his collection.

20 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Worst restoration ever.

10 hours ago, telerites said:

The story behind this is incredible - sad on different levels - not only a ruined piece of fine art but because of what happened and who did - I remember reading it when it happened.

If you haven't read or remember - https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/world/europe/botched-restoration-of-ecce--fresco-shocks-spain.html

Oh no!  I thought that was a joke... :sick:

It's Game Time 1 has 9 copies in the Census.  I have a CGC 7.0 with off-white to white pages.  Only one higher at 8.0 which I have never seen.  Last time my copy was on the market was in August of 1990.  I keep it unless someone makes me a crazy offer.

2 hours ago, sagii said:

..Cross posted from the Jimmers Thread. One of these just closed on eBay this week for a healthy price. None on the census. 

My Secret Marriage #19.jpg

Is he standing up in a hole in the sofa or are his legs twisted in an awkward position? hm

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Is he standing up in a hole in the sofa or are his legs twisted in an awkward position? hm

lol

I could go a million ways with a joke response, but the obvious one would be too tacky even by Board humor standards :D

I'm gonna say he's behind the pillows :facepalm: