• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think these are fun books, but, apart from the two Hitler covers, they don't tend to sell for much.  Not too many GA books that you can say that about these days!

It was a good title to collect.  Not common but not expensive.  Plenty if pedigree copies out there, too.  My only Teilight copies were high-grade Sipersnipes I got off eBay for next to nothing.  It is a title you could complete the whole run with 80% over 8.0.

On 8/27/2018 at 2:43 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Love those Schomburg Real Life sports covers. :applause:

The fact some books are well represented in the census while others aren't begs for qualifiers since  rarity isn't the only reason a book might lack significant numbers.  For instance, it's logical to assume that a lower valued book is less likely to be submitted for grading and representation in the census ...than a high value book... due to the costs involved with encapsulation verses the estimated return on the book.

I wouldn't mind seeing a thread that takes both census numbers and estimated value into account.  Perhaps an arbitrary OSG value for low-grade books would help separate books of lower demand that are under-represented in the census from truly rare books. hm

Now that that's out of the way, here's my latest acquisition, straight from Chicago Wizard.  With only four copies in the census, two of which are graded 1.5, it's fair to say that this prized book can honestly be described as rare... 

bce499ca-3b71-4cd4-ab75-9fca77d5ea36_zps

Yeah, I'm feelin' the spirit! :acclaim:

INCREDIBLE pick up Cat! (worship)

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yep.  These two are the tough ones, I think.  The 8 doesn't really belong in this thread (12 on the census) but the 9 has only 8 graded copies. 

lf_zpst1ubl5ul.JPG

RAD1F8042017425_12411_zpshrsihvzo.JPG

Great books, @Comicdey probably has 11 of the 12, so it's still scarce;)

On 9/1/2018 at 9:05 PM, cheetah said:

I am pretty sure this is one of the cheap Twilight copies I got from eBay.  Four copies in the census.  It went cheap in Clink when I sold it.

Supersnipe47FC.jpg

Sold last night on HA for $408 (including BP).  Not to me, alas.

One of my favorite threads. For me the most enjoyable aspect of GA collecting is the hunt for the very elusive. Of all the books in my 15+ years of collecting, this was by far the hardest to track down. This came up at the Jon Berk auction and I couldn't believe my eyes. Only reason that I tracked this book (the cover is fairly vanilla) is that I was attempting to put together a Speed run and this was the final hold out. Only 3 on the census and I'd love to see the others.

IMG_20180614_170147.jpg

4 hours ago, Microbia said:

Six on census. Best is only a 7.0. Great cover with the all-to-common “girl wearing red in peril” theme. Early Kinstler. 

FAADFF7A-0DE7-4A1F-AEC6-32BF4BECFB27.jpeg

Really awesome cover.  Nice heavy shadows on this perilous cover situation.  Too bad about the woman's slightly awkward proportions otherwise I'd be putting it on my must-have list.

15 hours ago, bodhee11 said:

One of my favorite threads. For me the most enjoyable aspect of GA collecting is the hunt for the very elusive. Of all the books in my 15+ years of collecting, this was by far the hardest to track down. This came up at the Jon Berk auction and I couldn't believe my eyes. Only reason that I tracked this book (the cover is fairly vanilla) is that I was attempting to put together a Speed run and this was the final hold out. Only 3 on the census and I'd love to see the others.

IMG_20180614_170147.jpg

Nice! Both seldom seen books.

I gave up on the idea of a complete Speed run years ago (too many unicorns), so I made a list of the ones I really had to have, with the idea a 10 book representation is attainable.

Ask me how that's going ....:cry:

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Nice! Both seldom seen books.

I gave up on the idea of a complete Speed run years ago (too many unicorns), so I made a list of the ones I really had to have, with the idea a 10 book representation is attainable.

Ask me how that's going ....:cry:

Judging from the icon after your statement, maybe we shouldn’t ask? :p

Outrageous cover, especially considering it's from the 40's. Wonder what parents made of seeing this one in their kids room? Crosses into all kinds of subgenres (:. Only Canadian copies used to turn up on eBay in my saved searches, When this copy came up on HA weeks ago, i threw in a proxy bid closing day mid afternoon and said leave it to fate. Was surprised it held up. Only copy on census. Permanent collection pile 

Etta Kett #14.jpg