• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

Aww thanks guys @sagii @MusterMark :)  Sidelined with a minor injury left me free too bounce around the census vs. books that I already had pics of on my laptop. It was quite an educating experience as to what's been certified a lot and what's not been certified much at all. 

2 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Aww thanks guys @sagii @MusterMark :)  Sidelined with a minor injury left me free too bounce around the census vs. books that I already had pics of on my laptop. It was quite an educating experience as to what's been certified a lot and what's not been certified much at all. 

Exactly why I started this thread, lo those many years ago!

10 hours ago, circumstances said:

Exactly why I started this thread, lo those many years ago!

It speaks to the many reasons that people certify books. SOME books likely just don't justify the cost of certification but there are those that certainly do, yet their numbers are low. That I believe speaks to their rarity or to the fact that longtime collectors choose to keep their comics raw until which time they choose to sell them. Either way, the census is a valuable tool and interesting to peruse. 

4 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

It speaks to the many reasons that people certify books. SOME books likely just don't justify the cost of certification but there are those that certainly do, yet their numbers are low. That I believe speaks to their rarity or to the fact that longtime collectors choose to keep their comics raw until which time they choose to sell them. Either way, the census is a valuable tool and interesting to peruse. 

I originally envisioned the focus of the thread to be desirable books from 1935 until the end of the war (generally), to see (initially, then over time) which books maintained extremely low counts.

Books that you would think would have many copies slabbed, if they were out there.

There are always going to be people like me who have never slabbed anything, so actual numbers will never be ascertainable, but I love it as a book to book comparison tool.

It is going to be fascinating over the years to see which books had 6 copies in 2017, and now have 7, and may still be under 10 a decade from now.

11 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I originally envisioned the focus of the thread to be desirable books from 1935 until the end of the war (generally), to see (initially, then over time) which books maintained extremely low counts.

Books that you would think would have many copies slabbed, if they were out there.

There are always going to be people like me who have never slabbed anything, so actual numbers will never be ascertainable, but I love it as a book to book comparison tool.

It is going to be fascinating over the years to see which books had 6 copies in 2017, and now have 7, and may still be under 10 a decade from now.

It's an interesting "time capsule" sort of thing, as there are MANY aspects to what changes time brings about. What's desirable when you created the thread versus 15 years later might change a goodly bit. The comic hobby has it's cycles, for a while THIS publisher is hot, then they cool off and ANOTHER publisher is hot. Rising prices also play a role. I think the reason that say the ACE super-hero books got hot is that everything else around them had risen to a point where those ACE books seemed like unbelievable give-a-ways in comparison, so they got super hot and prices rose, bringing more of them to CGCs doorstep. So many factors play a role in the market of this hobby. There's always something new to learn about in this hobby, which to me, makes it an endless source of fun!!!  :banana:

2 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

It's an interesting "time capsule" sort of thing, as there are MANY aspects to what changes time brings about. What's desirable when you created the thread versus 15 years later might change a goodly bit. The comic hobby has it's cycles, for a while THIS publisher is hot, then they cool off and ANOTHER publisher is hot. Rising prices also play a role. I think the reason that say the ACE super-hero books got hot is that everything else around them had risen to a point where those ACE books seemed like unbelievable give-a-ways in comparison, so they got super hot and prices rose, bringing more of them to CGCs doorstep. So many factors play a role in the market of this hobby. There's always something new to learn about in this hobby, which to me, makes it an endless source of fun!!!  :banana:

Agreed!