• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

The lesson i take from this thread, and the many un-submitted copies that are posted on it, is that there are a lot of books that folks just don't think are worth submitting.  

I know some dealers try to hype books by arguing a book is rare based on census numbers.  But this thread does a good job of refuting that.

5 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

what a splendid show you just put on my friend!! 

I absolutely agree with this and that’s why it’s so fun. Speaking of ACE I always follow this thread waiting for another one of these to pop up!! I bought this a little over 5 years ago now and there were 2 unrestored blue labels the other being a 4.0. A little over 5 years have passed and not a single complete unrestored copy has been added to the census. Neither Comicconnect or Heritage have ever sold one. Undesirable or rare? Maybe we just need more time. That being said what I paid for it at the time I thought for sure would have brought more copies out of the woodwork 😂

ABC38CF3-A2AF-4EAF-8A9C-CDD8DAC8BAD1.jpeg

I have only seen one other copy shared here (from an actual owner, and not just a shared web image) since you revealed this one to us all thsoe years ago.

For my money, i'd go with rare, as it's absolutely without doubt desirable! 

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

what a splendid show you just put on my friend!! 

I absolutely agree with this and that’s why it’s so fun. Speaking of ACE I always follow this thread waiting for another one of these to pop up!! I bought this a little over 5 years ago now and there were 2 unrestored blue labels the other being a 4.0. A little over 5 years have passed and not a single complete unrestored copy has been added to the census. Neither Comicconnect or Heritage have ever sold one. Undesirable or rare? Maybe we just need more time. That being said what I paid for it at the time I thought for sure would have brought more copies out of the woodwork 😂

ABC38CF3-A2AF-4EAF-8A9C-CDD8DAC8BAD1.jpeg

Aww, thanks pal :) 

I remember you buying that book (don't recall what you paid, if I even knew at the time) but I remember it being .... strong. By that time, I had been going around for a year or so and buying what Ace books I needed to build the superhero portions of all the Ace titles. Unfortunately, I wasn't alone. It got out that these books ARE COOL!!!!! Like hardly anybody had noticed for YEARS that these were awesome books, with some great artwork and cool characters!!!! Then the other shoe fell as they say. Not only were the Ace books cool, but they were pennies on the dollar compared to publishers like Fox, MLJ and the like, most of which had already seen their value spikes by that point. So, the Ace books shot up in price to the point that trying to acquire them (for me) became more frustrating than fun. MANY Ace books came out of collections and dealers stocks were drained. I believe that it's fair to say a large portion of those books made their way to CGC to be certified and yet there remain areas within those titles that have exceedingly low numbers, lending themselves to the notion that they indeed ARE scare or rare in extant quantity. Your Our Flag #5 is a perfect example of that. You're right, time will tell, but 5 years is already a noteworthy amount of time to indicate a few possibilities. Perhaps there are some copies in collections and those who own them aren't swayed by money, being well enough off that the desire to sell doesn't exist for them, therefore why would they bother certifying their copies? Also possible is what I think: Our Flag #5 was the end of the run and perhaps the print run was low and distribution was poor. I think you've got a rarity my friend, one to be proud of and a great cornerstone in your collection!  (thumbsu 

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The lesson i take from this thread, and the many un-submitted copies that are posted on it, is that there are a lot of books that folks just don't think are worth submitting.  

I know some dealers try to hype books by arguing a book is rare based on census numbers.  But this thread does a good job of refuting that.

My real goal for this thread was books that are undeniably worth submitting.

But they just ain't out there!

But all are welcome to post of course :)

3 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Mums the word! Also, don't mention that I have 3 original art pages to the Captain Freedom story! Shhhh  :gossip:

throw the census out on Speed 27 anyways it’s such an awesome book and we all know already those are super tough books. Always wanted one of these. You should probably share those pages here so we can see them 🤞🙌😊

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

throw the census out on Speed 27 anyways it’s such an awesome book and we all know already those are super tough books. Always wanted one of these. You should probably share those pages here so we can see them 🤞🙌😊

I only have a pic of one framed and I can't remember if it's from this same issue.

20191115_144236.jpg