• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I think Blazing is one of those under the radar gems that a few of us love ... I bet there's not all that many total; it doesn't come up for sale often. Similarly, though early 50's, that Police 109 has only four listed and I have two raw. Again, under the radar, probably not a ton of them, and an awesome cover (bondage, headlights, racist stereotypes villain).

The one in the Blazing Comics run to hunt down is the #5, and I do not mean the plethora of re-coverd remainders that are everywhere.  They did actually produce a #5 that has a Green Turtle interior.  I have found only two in my many years of collecting that title.  There is also a #6, but I have no idea how that came to be as it has nothing to do with the Turtle, and you hardly ever see it show up.  Very fun and cool esoteric title and one that won't cost $$$$$$$ to find copies of.

5 minutes ago, Et Es Go said:

The one in the Blazing Comics run to hunt down is the #5, and I do not mean the plethora of re-coverd remainders that are everywhere.  They did actually produce a #5 that has a Green Turtle interior.  I have found only two in my many years of collecting that title.  There is also a #6, but I have no idea how that came to be as it has nothing to do with the Turtle, and you hardly ever see it show up.  Very fun and cool esoteric title and one that won't cost $$$$$$$ to find copies of.

Absolutely; it's all effort....Is the 5 with the Green Turtle wrapped in the same buccaneer cover? The six has an Indian cover, if I recall correctly. You don't see it much. It is a cool anthology title with some great art, and the first Chinese superhero, by an Asian-American artist to boot! (Burma Boy might be the greatest 40's sidekick name of them all.)

21 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Absolutely; it's all effort....Is the 5 with the Green Turtle wrapped in the same buccaneer cover? The six has an Indian cover, if I recall correctly. You don't see it much. It is a cool anthology title with some great art, and the first Chinese superhero, by an Asian-American artist to boot! (Burma Boy might be the greatest 40's sidekick name of them all.)

Yes it is the Green Turtle wrapped in the ugly Buccaneer cover.  The two I have found are well loved.  It looks like some pedigree collections had that issue in them so they are high grade legit copies from back then, but they are slabbed so just have to go by the description on the label.  The scanned copy on the Digital Comic Museum is my copy.  I noticed that it is the scans that the guy on Ebay used to make his reproduction copies.   

2 minutes ago, Et Es Go said:

Yes it is the Green Turtle wrapped in the ugly Buccaneer cover.  The two I have found are well loved.  It looks like some pedigree collections had that issue in them so they are high grade legit copies from back then, but they are slabbed so just have to go by the description on the label.  The scanned copy on the Digital Comic Museum is my copy.  I noticed that it is the scans that the guy on Ebay used to make his reproduction copies.   

Very cool....I'm always baffled by the availability of the #5....and the interiors from so many different years...how many did they print, and when did they wrap all those various books from different publishers? I'd love to understand that backstory...without knowing, it always makes me wonder when I see a book such as Adventure 247 in aBlazing 5 cover if it was homemade...and it's a shame to think that way, but I guess it is possible.

I thought I read #6 was rebindings too, but it is far less common than 5.

There are obviously a lot of GA books with less than 10 in the census because there is not a great deal of monetary value or collector interest in the book. The vast majority of what has been displayed so far- that is not the case. A lot of what is being presented is pre-1945 and the rarity makes sense. I am not sure what to make of census/ rarity relation. This is a book with only 3 copies in the census, but the book has collector interest and goes for enough you would think more copies would be slabbed and it is 1948. I doubt it is extremely rare but is not represented well on the census.

fc.jpg

35 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

There are obviously a lot of GA books with less than 10 in the census because there is not a great deal of monetary value or collector interest in the book. The vast majority of what has been displayed so far- that is not the case. A lot of what is being presented is pre-1945 and the rarity makes sense. I am not sure what to make of census/ rarity relation. This is a book with only 3 copies in the census, but the book has collector interest and goes for enough you would think more copies would be slabbed and it is 1948. I doubt it is extremely rare but is not represented well on the census.

fc.jpg

I think it's fairly tough, with interest outstripping availability. I swear I remember an early guide where Babe #5 was listed with a parenthetical (exist?), a la Blue Beetle #43. Of course, that one we're still looking for.