• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Yorick said:
13 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

Mine or his? 

Yours.  It looks great!  I hope nothing's missing on the inside.  Better wait if you plan on submitting... CGC is pretty harsh right now.

So, mine's chopped liver? :taptaptap:

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:50 PM, circumstances said:

Eight copies on the census. 3.0, 3 copies at 3.5, 4.5, 5.0, 6.5, and 8.5.

kwu9vfk3g86ar814g.jpg

I got a restored copy that when I looked at it for the first time in 20 years the mylar stuck to the black. I have white dots on the black now.:makepoint:

4 hours ago, woowoo said:

I got a restored copy that when I looked at it for the first time in 20 years the mylar stuck to the black. I have white dots on the black now.:makepoint:

Oh ouch!

So the mylar stuck to the restored black or to the original ink?

On 5/1/2017 at 2:33 PM, circumstances said:

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census

Many of us are fans of super-rare funny books.

Sometimes when I'm bored I like to browse the CGC census and see how many copies of certain books have been submitted.

Let's post pictures of the books we own that have ten or less unrestored copies currently in the census, and discuss, discuss, discuss.

When you post the pictures of your books, also post how many of them are on the census, and in what grade.

Why did I pick ten? I don't know. I was going to go with five, but that seemed too low for some reason.

(If there is already a thread like this out there, I didn't see it!)

Rare in terms of census may not reflect scarcity in the marketplace.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to take both ends of the spectrum into account in a "ten & under" list?  IOW, listing books that are both rare and valuable while eschewing books not well represented in the census because they may have less commercial interest.  There must be some GA books which are less represented in the census because the cost of grading and encapsulation simply doesn't merit submission at the current time.

Having a value criteria might make a census scarcity list more objective, ...such as establishing a minimal value per point.  If this sounds too Draconian perhaps someone else could suggest another workable formula.  Note: I'm presenting this only as a discussion point, not as a rationale for one genre of comic being valued more than another. 2c

4 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Wouldn't it be reasonable to take both ends of the spectrum into account in a "ten & under" list?  IOW, listing books that are both rare and valuable while eschewing books not well represented in the census because they may have less commercial interest.  There must be some GA books which are less represented in the census because the cost of grading and encapsulation simply doesn't merit submission at the current time.

Having a value criteria might make a census scarcity list more objective, ...such as establishing a minimal value per point.  If this sounds too Draconian perhaps someone else could suggest another workable formula.  Note: I'm presenting this only as a discussion point, not as a rationale for one genre of comic being valued more than another. 2c

In terms of actual scarcity, the census is pretty meaningless for books that sell for less than $100 in the lower grades. As the value goes up, the census may have use for comparing scarcity to books of established equal value, but even there it's not always a reasonable barometer of marketplace availability. It seems there are always books with comparative census numbers that are far harder to locate than surrounding issues. Unsurprisingly these same books often have better than average covers, but have yet to explode on the price front, even if they do sell for a premium. It's just not enough of a premium to bring copies to market. 

32 minutes ago, rjpb said:

In terms of actual scarcity, the census is pretty meaningless for books that sell for less than $100 in the lower grades. As the value goes up, the census may have use for comparing scarcity to books of established equal value, but even there it's not always a reasonable barometer of marketplace availability. It seems there are always books with comparative census numbers that are far harder to locate than surrounding issues. Unsurprisingly these same books often have better than average covers, but have yet to explode on the price front, even if they do sell for a premium. It's just not enough of a premium to bring copies to market. 

I agree with that.  Particularly for some early 1950s romance, funny animal, and teen humor books, there's some demand, but not enough to merit slabbing low-grade copies and higher-grade copies may be very scarce.  So a book with just a few higher-grade copies on the census may not be all that tough to find if you're willing to settle for a beater copy.  A lot of the Dell Four Colors that don't feature well-known characters fall into this category.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

On May 26, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I see your point, but it depends on your goal (or the OP's, more exactly). For a show horse thread of established rare, awesome books, sure. But the beauty of all comers is it encompasses the various possibilities (underrepresented for good reason, underrepresented in mid and lower only because high grade is truly scarce a la some Dell four colors as sqeggs said; and truly rare and under the radar.)

For example, that Dell Indian head a few posts back is cool as heck. Might be more common than census infers, or might not. But this thread bubbles gems to the surface. Some are underappreciated, some are both that and truly scarce.

One my my faves, Police 109, doesn't guide for much but has an awesome cover. There's only four on the census, none above 6.0. There's a middling to lower raw copy on the bay now (NOT mine) at $136 with four days to go. Makes me think that one is scarce as it seems. But it could also already be hoarded and now just rarely comes to market. 

I get more out of seeing all comers and then trying to parse the possibilities of actual scarceness. Dunno, just my 2 cents  (shrug)

Edited by Readcomix
Typo, additional thought