• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

8 unrestored copies on census

wow23.jpg

Congratulations on finally getting a nice copy!!! :applause:

On 8/7/2018 at 9:44 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

There are only three copies in the census: a 5.0, an 8.0, and this one. (Granted, the probable reason why there are fewer than 10 copies in the census is that a copy isn't valuable enough to slab unless it's high grade.)

IMG__201808218__011716.jpeg

I think interest in Super Magician has been picking up lately.  Kind of a neglected title, imo.

On 8/15/2018 at 4:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

As far as I can tell there is one restored copy on the census...

xmas.jpg

I thought these were too thick to slab?  I've got a VGish copy.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:
On 8/15/2018 at 3:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

As far as I can tell there is one restored copy on the census...

xmas.jpg

I thought these were too thick to slab?  I've got a VGish copy.

I also thought they were too thick to slab but I found a restored something listed on the census. Maybe a later book?

Anyhow, there aren't any qualifiers in the thread rules so you should post yours.

18 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

One thing about the CGC census that should always be considered is what was the Guide price when slabbing started. That is oft times completely overlooked. When slabbing books began, we were slabbing the more valuable books, primarily early superhero books from the GA and SA 1st issues and keys. There was very little slabbing of BA to present books. Back to the GA, what my above comment means is that many titles that were not very valuable back then went unslabbed. We were not slabbing $50 or less books. That eliminates many of the non-superhero titles. So, when you look at the census, take this into consideration. When you see a romance book with only 3 graded, does that mean it is rare or tough to find? Probably not, it just mean that not many were slabbed. Ditto on many of the now hot area of PCH books that have skyrocketed. Bottom line, don't get fooled into thinking you have a tough-to-find or scarce book because of the low number of books in the census. Use common sense, and talk to some of the old-timers. Ask them about warehouse finds, etc.

The Census is only one factor I use when trying to determine if a book is really rare or not. My top way to determine is how long a book has gone unposted on my eBay watch list ( and there are some that took forever to show up - there are even two I have never seen ppsted still).

Second is how long it goes unposted on my waitlist from various dealers with Metro leading the way. 

Third would be never seeing a book at a show (granted I only attend two a year and only one day of each show, and no way I'm going through every box in the room so in that regard maybe I did miss that elusive grail once or twice , but I doubt it).

Fourth, ask a dealer when the last time they had or saw a copy of said book. If you get that "Hoo boy" look, chances are it's rare. 

Any feedback is appreciated sir!

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

The Census is only one factor I use when trying to determine if a book is really rare or not. My top way to determine is how long a book has gone unposted on my eBay watch list ( and there are some that took forever to show up - there are even two I have never seen ppsted still).

Second is how long it goes unposted on my waitlist from various dealers with Metro leading the way. 

Third would be never seeing a book at a show (granted I only attend two a year and only one day of each show, and no way I'm going through every box in the room so in that regard maybe I did miss that elusive grail once or twice , but I doubt it).

Fourth, ask a dealer when the last time they had or saw a copy of said book. If you get that "Hoo boy" look, chances are it's rare. 

Any feedback is appreciated sir!

Like your method, keep at it.

On 8/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, Sqeggs said:

I can't seem to find a scan of my copy.  I did find this related book, which seems to have only one (blue 4.5) copy on the census. Again, it seems as if this issue would also be too thick to slab. 

2018-08-18-0001_zps1qaqtcx7.JPG

So cool.

If I'm reading the census right, there are only two of these on it: the Mile High 9.8, and a 3.5 ... I've posted pics of this book in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare a Grade" thread (click to go there); there has been resto work done to it, and I'm looking for advice about slabbing ...

20180823_200650_resized.jpg

Edited by BuscemasAvengers

On 8/23/2018 at 5:00 PM, Redbeard said:

One thing about the CGC census that should always be considered is what was the Guide price when slabbing started. That is oft times completely overlooked. When slabbing books began, we were slabbing the more valuable books, primarily early superhero books from the GA and SA 1st issues and keys. There was very little slabbing of BA to present books. Back to the GA, what my above comment means is that many titles that were not very valuable back then went unslabbed. We were not slabbing $50 or less books. That eliminates many of the non-superhero titles. So, when you look at the census, take this into consideration. When you see a romance book with only 3 graded, does that mean it is rare or tough to find? Probably not, it just mean that not many were slabbed. Ditto on many of the now hot area of PCH books that have skyrocketed. Bottom line, don't get fooled into thinking you have a tough-to-find or scarce book because of the low number of books in the census. Use common sense, and talk to some of the old-timers. Ask them about warehouse finds, etc.

When they started, I think modern books were given red labels, weren't they? I've never collected moderns, so I never had any of them slabbed.  Wonder when they stopped the red labels ... or am I just imagining they ever had them? hm