• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I've always been intrigued by this cover; it's so darn weird, with the peculiar looking tanks coming out of the guy's innards.  I wonder if, given the pre-Pearl Harbor pub date, they meant the guy to suggest Hitler, but gave him a different style of mustache to hedge their bets. 

I always thought he was supposed to be Hitler;)

Can't be because the book's not on the board's quasi-official, widely-accepted, universally-beloved, and most-exalted list of Hitler covers.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Can't be because the book's not on the board's quasi-official, widely-accepted, universally-beloved, and most-exalted list of Hitler covers.

CGC has it in the GA Hitler cover registry list. :gossip:

Personally, I don’t consider it a Hitler cover.

19 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I've always been intrigued by this cover; it's so darn weird, with the peculiar looking tanks coming out of the guy's innards.  I wonder if, given the pre-Pearl Harbor pub date, they meant the guy to suggest Hitler, but gave him a different style of mustache to hedge their bets. 

I always thought he was supposed to be Hitler;)

I do think they "implied" Nazis and possibly even Hitler here.  Remember they also "foresaw" the Pearl Harbor attack on #18 (8 total counting my stinky PLOD)

1811121832111.jpg.0ca6a865700873776d351ba173f827ed.jpg

Edited by telerites

7 hours ago, walclark said:
9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

CGC has it in the GA Hitler cover registry list:gossip:

Personally, I don’t consider it a Hitler cover.

Ah, what do those guys know? :sumo:

By 1941, Hitler's toothbrush mustache was too well known for them to have given this guy a Snidely Whiplash mustache if they intended him to be Hitler.  

I remember when I was a kid, there were a number of books written by old Nazis on the order of, "I Was Hitler's Chauffeur," "I Was Hitler's Secretary," "I Was Hitler's Pilot."  Somebody wondered whether the next one would be called, "I Was Hitler's Mustache." 

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I do think they "implied" Nazis and possibly even Hitler here.  Remember they also "foresaw" the Pearl Harbor attack on #18 (8 total counting my stinky PLOD)

Top Notch 1, which was dated December 1939 (2 years before National 18), also forecast an attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese -- although the attackers were referred to as "Jatsonians." 

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

2 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Top Notch 1, which was dated December 1939 (2 years before National 18), also forecast an attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese -- although the attackers were referred to as "Jatsonians." 

scan0002 (2).jpg

scan0003.jpg

I wonder if this transparent subterfuge was an attempt to avoid static from the vocal America First lobby?  When we discussed this awhile back wrt to Cap 1 -- a strongly anti-Hitler cover and story on the stands nine months or so before Pearl Harbor -- someone said that the Timely office did receive threats after publication.

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I wonder if this transparent subterfuge was an attempt to avoid static from the vocal America First lobby?  When we discussed this awhile back wrt to Cap 1 -- a strongly anti-Hitler cover and story on the stands nine months or so before Pearl Harbor -- someone said that the Timely office did receive threats after publication.

No doubt, many of the artists and writers were Jewish (with changed names) and we see over and over again where they tried to speak up in these books. Hitler was not a popular topic till after Japan actually bombed us. I've read that the bombing of Pearl Harbor should not have been such a huge surprise. I suppose Lindbergh  had a big influence. What always surprised me was that Roosevelt stood back for so long.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

No doubt, many of the artists and writers were Jewish (with changed names) and we see over and over again where they tried to speak up in these books. Hitler was not a popular topic till after Japan actually bombed us. I've read that the bombing of Pearl Harbor should not have been such a huge surprise. I suppose Lindbergh  had a big influence. What always surprised me was that Roosevelt stood back for so long.

He was in a tough spot politically because the country was so divided.  In 1940, the act to reinstitute the draft passed by only a single vote in the House.  He did provide Britain with important aid through the Lend Lease program.  But actually getting a declaration of war out of Congress before the U.S. was attacked was probably not going to happen.

One interesting point:  If Hitler hadn't declared war on the U.S. (against the recommendation of some of his advisers), would Congress have declared war on Germany?  Roosevelt was apparently uncertain what Hitler would do during the few days between Pearl Harbor and Germany's declaration of war.

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

He was in a tough spot politically because the country was so divided.  In 1940, the act to reinstitute the draft passed by only a single vote in the House.  He did provide Britain with important aid through the Lend Lease program.  But actually getting a declaration of war out of Congress before the U.S. was attacked was probably not going to happen.

One interesting point:  If Hitler hadn't declared war on the U.S. (against the recommendation of some of his advisers), would Congress have declared war on Germany?  Roosevelt was apparently uncertain what Hitler would do during the few days between Pearl Harbor and Germany's declaration of war.

I saw a great movie this winter, it starred "Commissioner Gordon";)  There was a lot of information about how much we did and didn't help England. We need Superman to fly back and tape everyone;)

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I saw a great movie this winter, it starred "Commissioner Gordon";)  There was a lot of information about how much we did and didn't help England. We need Superman to fly back and tape everyone;)

I thought it starred Sirius Black? hm

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Please bore us Sharon :wishluck:

That was for you, Greg';):foryou:

I don't want to bore, ME either, going through the numbers on the census is tedious, lol

Edited by skypinkblu