• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

Looks like there are a ton of obscure GA books that have very few copies that's been slabbed so far.  

Sometimes, it makes me wonder if this is a true supply rarity issue or really one of perceived low demand and value from a dollars point of view.  If it's the latter, then this might explain the low census count in some cases as collectors simply don't think it's worthwhile or not even cost effective to slab in the first place.  hm

Personally, I think it's probably a combination of both of these economic factors when it comes to low census books and probably needs to be looked at on a more individual book by book basis.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like there are a ton of obscure GA books that have very few copies that's been slabbed so far.  

Sometimes, it makes me wonder if this is a true supply rarity issue or really one of perceived low demand and value from a dollars point of view.  If it's the latter, then this might explain the low census count in some cases as collectors simply don't think it's worthwhile or not even cost effective to slab in the first place.  hm

Personally, I think it's probably a combination of both of these economic factors when it comes to low census books and probably needs to be looked at on a more individual book by book basis.  (thumbsu

I think that was Catman's point a few months ago (although some people took offense).

There are books some of us have never seen before, or some have...that were really inexpensive until their recent discovery or recent mad marketing. 

I also was looking at a post in the Silver thread about bidding things up and setting a new mark that people follow. I wouldn't be shocked if that's happening with some of the obscure books as well.

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

11 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I think that was Catman's point a few months ago (although some people took offense).

There are books some of us have never seen before, or some have...that were really inexpensive until their recent discovery or recent mad marketing. 

I also was looking at a post in the Silver thread about bidding things up and setting a new mark that people follow. I wouldn't be shocked if that's happening with some of the obscure books as well.

Similar to discussion in the Archie thread about issues from 51-100, but the same could be said literally for hundreds of titles.  Census numbers are incredibly low for these books, especially in grades 7.0 and above. Is that because there are short boxes of high grades waiting to be slabbed when the value goes up?  My money is on the opposite.  Time will tell.

As far as bidding things up... market manipulation exists in all markets, even more in unregulated markets (although the boards put the SEC to shame for calling out malfeasance).  It is a little crazy how new GPA highs immediately become that books new value floor. 

16 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Humginger Vol 1 # 1 8 in census, vol 2 # 2 1 in census (4.0)! 

Ah, Humginger.  If only it existed.  Would be so much fun - a cross between Humdinger and Ginger!  :bigsmile:

On 9/4/2018 at 5:47 PM, bodhee11 said:

One of my favorite threads. For me the most enjoyable aspect of GA collecting is the hunt for the very elusive. Of all the books in my 15+ years of collecting, this was by far the hardest to track down. This came up at the Jon Berk auction and I couldn't believe my eyes. Only reason that I tracked this book (the cover is fairly vanilla) is that I was attempting to put together a Speed run and this was the final hold out. Only 3 on the census and I'd love to see the others.

IMG_20180614_170147.jpg

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread!

2 hours ago, circumstances said:
On 9/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, bodhee11 said:

One of my favorite threads. For me the most enjoyable aspect of GA collecting is the hunt for the very elusive. Of all the books in my 15+ years of collecting, this was by far the hardest to track down. This came up at the Jon Berk auction and I couldn't believe my eyes. Only reason that I tracked this book (the cover is fairly vanilla) is that I was attempting to put together a Speed run and this was the final hold out. Only 3 on the census and I'd love to see the others.

IMG_20180614_170147.jpg

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread!

Oh wow, a dinosaur cover.........even if they don't look like very scary dinosaurs.  :bigsmile:   (thumbsu