• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, ThothAmon said:

Wow comics 43. A MH and Crowley are only two on census. 

I have other wow comics that I will post when I have time to scan them. I find it pretty incredible that such rare comics featuring a character who has now been seen in a big live action film are still so affordable.

I just acquired Captain Marvel Adventures 77 and as of right now there are only 9 graded by CGC and one of those is restored. Sadly, the centrefold is detached, something the seller (heritage auctions) did not disclose, bringing down the stated grade of 5.0 to a 2.0. So I will probably send it back, but for now I own it so I will post it while I have it. Was wondering something though, are these comics actually rare? Because the few graded when it comes to any comic posted here are usually the higher grade ones that make grading worthwhile. Like even if this was a 5.0, grading it would cost about half of what it's worth. If these books would be truly rarer than other golden age books, wouldn't their prices reflect that? Then again this is one of the only issues below 100 of Captain Marvel Adventures to have less than 10 on the census, so it might be rarer after all if all things remain equal.

20200104_153929.jpg

On 1/4/2020 at 1:54 PM, William-James88 said:

I just acquired Captain Marvel Adventures 77 and as of right now there are only 9 graded by CGC and one of those is restored. Sadly, the centrefold is detached, something the seller (heritage auctions) did not disclose, bringing down the stated grade of 5.0 to a 2.0. So I will probably send it back, but for now I own it so I will post it while I have it. Was wondering something though, are these comics actually rare? Because the few graded when it comes to any comic posted here are usually the higher grade ones that make grading worthwhile. Like even if this was a 5.0, grading it would cost about half of what it's worth. If these books would be truly rarer than other golden age books, wouldn't their prices reflect that? Then again this is one of the only issues below 100 of Captain Marvel Adventures to have less than 10 on the census, so it might be rarer after all if all things remain equal.

20200104_153929.jpg

Nice book! Detached centerfold does not bring the grade down to 2.0 all by itself. It can be a 5.0 with a detached centerfold. :) 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Nice book! Detached centerfold does not bring the grade down to 2.0 all by itself. It can be a 5.0 with a detached centerfold. :) 

If it's the wrong place to discuss it, please let me know. But I really thought that was not the case. I mean good news if it is, but from everything I gathered, that would go against the overstreet standards (assuming the book looks like what I posted).

The place I bought it from posted their grading standards to show buyers what to expect from the grades they state https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

And in it, we have this:

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):   Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):   Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

2.0 GOOD (GD):   Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

Unless we are talking green label (which this book wouldn't fit), it really seems a detached centrefold would bring the grade down to a 2.0. 

Edited by William-James88

17 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

If it's the wrong place to discuss it, please let me know. But I really thought that was not the case. I mean good news if it is, but from everything I gathered, that would go against the overstreet standards (assuming the book looks like what I posted).

The place I bought it from posted their grading standards to show buyers what to expect from the grades they state https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

And in it, we have this:

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):   Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

2.0 GOOD (GD):   Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

Unless we are talking green label (which this book wouldn't fit), it really seems a detached centrefold would bring the grade down to a 2.0. 

it depends on who's standards you are going by. CGC allows it.. I have even had a detached cover at a 4.0 from CGC

10 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

it depends on who's standards you are going by. CGC allows it.. I have even had a detached cover at a 4.0 from CGC

Thanks. I am going by the standards set by those who sold it to me. In any case, a ripped off centrefold (which is what it is in this case, if that makes a difference) was not mentioned in the listing. Added to the fact that they also missed cut coupons, and other ripped centrefolds from various other comics I ordered from them, I suspect that they simply graded by the cover and didn't open the book to check. 

Question for you though (love your avatar by the way), did that 4.0 book you mention look like a 4.0 in general, regardless of the detached cover? 

7 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks. I am going by the standards set by those who sold it to me. In any case, a ripped off centrefold (which is what it is in this case, if that makes a difference) was not mentioned in the listing. Added to the fact that they also missed cut coupons, and other ripped centrefolds from various other comics I ordered from them, I suspect that they simply graded by the cover and didn't open the book to check. 

Question for you though (love your avatar by the way), did that 4.0 book you mention look like a 4.0 in general, regardless of the detached cover? I did read that for CGC standards, a detached centrefold will have no impact on a grade in that range 

Thanks

Yea if that is the case I would go by that (and you now have me thinking about any raw books I bought from them and how closely I checked). 

My 4.0 w detached cover was a pretty book other then that, honestly it is crappy story because either I missed the detachment or it happened while there.. I had expected a 7/8 grade when I sent it out.

8 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thanks

Yea if that is the case I would go by that (and you now have me thinking about any raw books I bought from them and how closely I checked). 

My 4.0 w detached cover was a pretty book other then that, honestly it is crappy story because either I missed the detachment or it happened while there.. I had expected a 7/8 grade when I sent it out.

Aw man, I really feel for you there. As for double checking, please do. They will honour their mistake. Like you, I trusted their grading and didn't open a book until years later and when I noticed a mistake, I sent it back and got my money. But it's a hassle none of us need and basically flipping through a book to ensure the quality should not be too much to ask from a comic dealer. Especially golden age books where only kids were reading it then and there were a bunch of things to fill out and cut out. Honestly, the only US dealer I have had no problems with lately for these types of purchases has been Harley Yee (but you pay the price and you have to physically be there).

I do get the conundrum though. These golden age books are all wonderful and since the slightest bit of mishap in manipulation could result in a loss of over a hundred bucks or more when it comes to its worth, you don't want to touch them sometimes, nor flip through to see if there is indeed a major defect.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

And in it, we have this:

Not my book and if you Google you can find dozens of others at lower grades.

Image result for centerfold detached cgc

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Not my book and if you Google you can find dozens of others at lower grades.

Image result for centerfold detached cgc

Those are all examples that are to CGC's discretion, I was referring to the general guidelines. Also, while it says centrefold detached, could that not also mean that it was never attached, aka loose or would that have a different wording on a slab? Because there is a grading distinction between a  defect done at production (so staples that never went through the centrefold) and a defect done through use, like ripping off the centrefold. Basically, the book I posted is far from a 5.0 and I think it's a 2.0. I have posted it in the spare a grade forum to see how others in the forum judge it, in case I am being too harsh. You are welcome to let me know what you think