• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Savage Dragon April Fools Variant

11 posts in this topic

Savage Dragon April Fools Variant

I went to multiple comic shops looking for this, as I was collecting most of the Image April Fools variants and was thinking about having Scott Snyder and Jock sign this one for laughs. (The gag here is that they're announced as the new creative team with an April Fools disclaimer.)

I went to several shops, one big, and realized nobody was stocking Savage Dragon. The biggest shop had one copy on a pull list and didn't even get the variant.

Going by Comichron, Savage Dragon is off the bottom of the charts from the looks of it, making it less than 1000 copies a month and the variant from a run under 500.

With Jock on cover and the Scott Snyder gag and the chance that the April Fools covers might have novelty value as a set even for non-SD readers, could this one be a hidden gem?

I just looked, quickly, at sales chart analysis of January and they state that Savage Dragon did not make top 300. So there is a good chance that 1000 could be correct, sure.

10 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I just can't imagine SD being under 1000 copies a month...Are you sure you're not missing something? I know sales have been declining forever, but man, that just doesn't seem possible. 

Some of the most recent numbers I can find on Comichron are:

178 (Feb 2012) 4684
181 (Sep 2012) 4556
190 (Aug 2013) 5078
191 (Sep 2013) 4162
193 (Feb 2014) 4979
194 (Apr 2014) 4207
200 (Dec 2014) 6798
217 (Oct 2016) 5390

Why does Savage Dragon not appear in many months (in which it should)? I don't know, but the OP seems like a case of dangerous assumptions based on incomplete information.

EDIT: Nevermind, Savage Dragon could be below #300 in the missing months and still be in its normal range. I guess JJM just doesn't consider the title significant enough to give it a special note when it's not in the top 300 (not that I can blame him). And not making the top 300 wouldn't mean it's below 1000 copies distributed. :facepalm: The OP is completely :screwy:

Edited by Lazyboy
had time to look closer

Well, it seems to have fallen off the charts since then. The information is incomplete because this is below the tracked totals, meaning you can say it sold at least one fewer copies than the #300 book, to the extent Comichron is accurate. It seems likely that this isn't in a category of book that would be overestimated.

I know several large comic shops stocked 1 or fewer copies of this one and it's a 50/50 variant. That anecdotally puts it at least in company with America #2 Art Adams variant. (Among the 5 nearest shops including a prominent LCS, only Books-A-Million qualified for an Adams America #2. The LCS in question stopped stocking SD months ago and now has exactly one pull list customer who special orders it.)

If it had a much larger run, as with Kickstarter books, it would be a case of Larsen bankrolling a larger run that he's sitting on to sell at shows.

I can't say the exact rarity. But we can reasonably infer that it's no higher than the lowest selling book on Comichron minus 1, divided by 2 for the 50/50 variant cover.

On 2017-05-13 at 11:05 PM, PatrickG said:

Well, it seems to have fallen off the charts since then. The information is incomplete because this is below the tracked totals, meaning you can say it sold at least one fewer copies than the #300 book

The #300 book for April 2017 was estimated at 4244. Maybe Savage Dragon was below that, but 4244 is well above 1000.

Edited by Lazyboy